6thGen Camaro Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Well in large part it seems like availability is an issue..

In November of 2014 my local dealer had 4 GT's and 3 EcoBoosts on the lot..available for sale and test drives. That was roughly a month after sales started on the S550

My local Chevy dealer (Airport Chevrolet in Medford) only has 2 6th gen's even coming in...both loaded 2SS's with MSRP's in the high 40's..and they're not even in inventory yet as far as I know..and knowing that dealer, they'll have probably a $5,000 mark up.
Sponsored

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
another thing that hasnt really happened yet is the 2.0. I think that will help a bit for the Camaro. But I still do not see it beating the S550.
Well in large part it seems like availability is an issue..

In November of 2014 my local dealer had 4 GT's and 3 EcoBoosts on the lot..available for sale and test drives. That was roughly a month after sales started on the S550

My local Chevy dealer (Airport Chevrolet in Medford) only has 2 6th gen's even coming in...both loaded 2SS's with MSRP's in the high 40's..and they're not even in inventory yet as far as I know..and knowing that dealer, they'll have probably a $5,000 mark up.
Both of these seem like own goals on GMs part to me,
Gm has had a YEAR to see the sales success of the Eco but decided to prioritize production of the more expensive, slower selling Loaded V8s? Secondly, Launch of a new model is when you have the most people walking in to the dealership to have a look, thats when you want to have as many sitting on the lot as possible.

As far as the dealers and adm, You can't really blame the manufacturer for that. I have to admit I'm feeling the Schadenfreude of all those Z28s with ridiculous markups still sitting on dealer lots with massive discounts.

I hope to feel the same about the dealers charging ridiculous ADM on the GT350 too.

JohnnyUtah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 M4 Comp, 2019 Silverado
Neither of those discuss sales figures. They just talk about how GM is hiring more people for its Camaro plant. Perhaps they played it conservative and purposely hired too little.
Maybe so, but they have more relevant information than the initial post which appeared to just be editorial with no sources.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Oh make no mistake I'm not blaming GM for ADM's at all...I'm just saying that dealers also might not help make initial 6th gen sales particularly swift

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
LOL, how many times did we here the various GM fanboys who post/used to post on this site declare, "wait until the 6thGen Camaro becomes available to buy" when it came to discussions regarding Mustang versus Camaro sales. Well, the Camaro has been available since November, and December sales were not at all spectacular as they might have hoped.

For the year, the Mustang outsold the Camaro by over 44K units! In fact, the Mustang swept the Camaro every single month in 2015, something the Camaro was never able to do even when it was the bee's knees to many where the nameplate was reintroduced.

I guess everybody who wanted the look of a 6th Gen Camaro already had it with the 5th Gen, so it seems only the die-hards are buying the new car despite it's better performance numbers over it's predecessor. Many of us said GM lack of balls in hardly changing the styling of the 6thGen as compared to the 5thGen was a pitiful attempt to try and continue the success of that generation, but the sales numbers, thus far, indicate it was a dud move on GM's part.
You're comparing a previous gen year car to a whole new gen model year of sales.

You're comparing barely a month of new G6 Camaro sales where most dealers don't even have them on lots yet and if they do it's 1-2 max.

You're comparing a full model line-up where the competition has only 2 of their 3 out and not even the mass engine seller.

You cannot make any real assessment that anyone would take seriously until the spring when all models are on lots and they have filled the lots with the new gen model.

another thing that hasnt really happened yet is the 2.0. I think that will help a bit for the Camaro. But I still do not see it beating the S550.
The 2.0 will be a big seller for them. You see a lot of V6 Camaros everywhere...just like V6 Mustangs so having a new entry model will help them sell it. No doubts.

Well in large part it seems like availability is an issue...
Of course. There arent even some dealers that have them yet. No one can make a solid estimate here at all with the cars not even at dealers. This isn't rocket science but obviously the OP doesn't get it.

Neither of those discuss sales figures. They just talk about how GM is hiring more people for its Camaro plant. Perhaps they played it conservative and purposely hired too little.
You don't hire that many people unless there is demand for the car. No matter what, its more people meaning demand is up.

And like it or not the Camaro is getting great reviews in all magazines, even magazines that arent car based but have write ups from time to time on cars/buyers.

And for car mag/reviews....just a day ago, MA just said they'd take the SS over a GT350 as car to buy in 2016. Over a GT350....

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1100915_chevy-camaro-ss-motor-authoritys-best-car-to-buy-2016

It's WAAAAY to early to know what the #s are going to be, but if you go by the hiring/reviews, they are going to sell a lot of this car.

Last edited:

Sponsored

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
You're comparing a previous gen year car to a whole new gen model year of sales.

You're comparing barely a month of new G6 Camaro sales where most dealers don't even have them on lots yet and if they do it's 1-2 max.

You're comparing a full model line-up where the competition has only 2 of their 3 out and not even the mass engine seller.

You cannot make any real assessment that anyone would take seriously until the spring when all models are on lots and they have filled the lots with the new gen model.
Sorry dude...gonna call BS on this.

In October 2014 the S550 went on sale. Mustang sales were 4,565.

In November (first full month of S550 sales) Mustang sold 8,728..a jump of 4,163 cars, that's without the convertible, so not the whole line up, and production wasn't even at full steam yet.

In December it went to 9,511..again..only two months after launch, without the 'vert and in the dead of winter, no less.

It's not like the launch of the 6th Gen Camaro caught GM by surprise..they've been setting this up for years.

Now...November is when the 6th Gen Camaro went on sale, correct?

November Camaro Sales: 5,303

December Camaro Sales: 5,366

Only 33 more cars..where the Mustang had a 4,163 car jump in it's first full month of sales...

So from this we can either conclude...

GM intentionally is rolling out the Camaro slowly (Stupid)

GM intentionally is keeping initial production low (also stupid)

The Camaro wasn't selling as well before the 6th gen and having a full month of 6th gen sales available didn't help (data points that way)

The 6th Gen just isn't different/WOW enough to bring sales roaring back.

The winter is keeping Camaro buyers away (yet it didn't hurt Mustang sales?)

A lot of people are saying that most people are holding out for the 2.0T..but Becky D said that most people are only interested in the SS.

How do you explain the Mustang nearly doubling it's previous months sales in it's first full month on the lots...yet the Camaro only increased 33 cars?

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline
Apparently the Turbo-4 has historically been a big seller for the Chevy camp based on everyone swearing it will be the mass seller. I think they are wrong and it will still be the V6 based on the lack of turbo knowledge present here and over on C6 forums.

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
The 2.0 will be a decent seller. I can see it selling a little bit better than the V6, but I would expect it to be close. But when the cheaper models start to roll out, they will sell more. I would expect the average to be around the 7-9k range. Not near as high as the S550, but I think GM is ok with that.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Given that the Chevy camp tends to be live a bit in the ye olde glory days (IE limited comprehension of modern production requirements in terms of durability, fuel economy, CAFE, etc) and how many said it was nearly heretical for Chevy to even OFFER a Turbo 4 in the Camaro...

I think you'll see a bit of a surge of early adopters and then a rush of trading them in and getting SS's/V6's...

That sure sounds familiar...

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline
The 2.0 will be a decent seller. I can see it selling a little bit better than the V6, but I would expect it to be close. But when the cheaper models start to roll out, they will sell more. I would expect the average to be around the 7-9k range. Not near as high as the S550, but I think GM is ok with that.
I disagree. The casual buyer does not want to buy a turbo car because most buy into a lot of the misinformation about them. They will pay the slight bump for the V6 because the imaginary savings in maintenance and reliability. Don't believe me, check your own forum. They know less about turbo cars then most over here.

Sponsored

mjhousto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium DIB, 50 Years AP
So from this we can either conclude...

GM intentionally is rolling out the Camaro slowly (Stupid)

GM intentionally is keeping initial production low (also stupid)

The Camaro wasn't selling as well before the 6th gen and having a full month of 6th gen sales available didn't help (data points that way)

The 6th Gen just isn't different/WOW enough to bring sales roaring back.

The winter is keeping Camaro buyers away (yet it didn't hurt Mustang sales?)
I think the data only shows that GM has not been able to get cars to dealers' lots as quickly as Ford was (not that Ford did a great job of getting cars on the lots in the first place). I highly doubt there is anything intentional about it.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
I think the data only shows that GM has not been able to get cars to dealers' lots as quickly as Ford was (not that Ford did a great job of getting cars on the lots in the first place). I highly doubt there is anything intentional about it.
Right...I didn't mean it was intentional, I only put that forward as a possible explanation...

ClevelandV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully 2020 GT or HP Ecoboost
Seems allocation has been very spotty. Some dealerships not getting any yet, while others have several.

The awareness of the 2016 Camaro seems to be non-existent with the average car buyer. GM did a good job at the reveal at Belle Isle in May. Nothing since.

GM needs better marketing and advertising, and not just for the Camaro.

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
I disagree. The casual buyer does not want to buy a turbo car because most buy into a lot of the misinformation about them. They will pay the slight bump for the V6 because the imaginary savings in maintenance and reliability. Don't believe me, check your own forum. They know less about turbo cars then most over here.
wrong wrong wrong. Look at the ATS sales. The 2.0 sells more than the 3.6. The 2.0 also gets a big bump in MPG and its more than a 1000 bucks cheaper. It will sell more than the 3.6. I'll bet you a six pack.

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline
wrong wrong wrong. Look at the ATS sales. The 2.0 sells more than the 3.6. The 2.0 also gets a big bump in MPG and its more than a 1000 bucks cheaper. It will sell more than the 3.6. I'll bet you a six pack.
Different cars with different buyers. I prefer Stone IPA.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.