Sponsored

50 Years of Mustang with Lee Iacocca on Jay Leno Garage

DBCooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Can someone explain why they crush the prototypes? They just got over talking about how great it was that the Mustang 1 was saved and then talk about crushing these.
Sponsored

Harmanfrsf77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
I believe I have seen on the site a bunch of times how everyone has wanted an oil pressure gauge (or oil temp, can't remember), anyways....in the track pack, they give you the oil pressure gauge, and a vacuum gauge because... they have two gauge slots, so that's why. lol it would look kind of funny with just the oil pressure gauge there by itself. plus it will be cool to see the vacuum gauge as i put the pedal to the metal in my new GT :)

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
Can someone explain why they crush the prototypes? They just got over talking about how great it was that the Mustang 1 was saved and then talk about crushing these.
Since they don't necessarily have production-grade parts, having them on the road legally is in the purview of the manufacturer exclusively. Technically if those leave Ford's possession and someone privately drives them, they would be in violation of the law. Of note is the emissions and crashworthiness certifications that have to be in place.

If one thinks about the number of vehicles that get made that might to be stored over time, that costs money. Based on discussions with Ford people I've met, storing a lot of vehicles that are not legal for road use is considered wasteful.

Still makes me cringe every time I hear about it though!

Dirk McGurck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Nissan 370Z Touring with Sport
What makes these items look "cheap" and "dated"? Also, it is possible this is not the final finish, although it might be close to it.
The clear plastic on the gauges is pretty shitty, and the face looks really boring and cheap.

Sponsored

nite

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
C6 Corvette
It's the base model. :shrug:

Anyone who wants a nicer setup will pony-up (< see how I did that?) for the tech package.

5.0GT

Threads
Reaction score
What makes these items look "cheap" and "dated"? Also, it is possible this is not the final finish, although it might be close to it.
It just looks half-assed to me. The squareness (telephone part), no contoured look (something out of a truck). I mean it is what it is to me.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The clear plastic on the gauges is pretty shitty, and the face looks really boring and cheap.
Hmmm...not seeing it. Got a photo of something that looks "upscale and premium"?

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It just looks half-assed to me. The squareness (telephone part), no contoured look (something out of a truck). I mean it is what it is to me.
Ah, OK...so the general lines of the unit in contrast to the rest of the dash. It is somewhat incongruent stylistically in that way.

johnnyblack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S197
I think that's Ford telling you to upgrade to MFT. The base unit is very very basic looking. It does clash a little with the otherwise nice looking dash, gauges and switches IMO. It works better with the bigger screen they showed in every other car.

Sponsored

Dirk McGurck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Nissan 370Z Touring with Sport
Hmmm...not seeing it. Got a photo of something that looks "upscale and premium"?
Something that has similar quality clear plastic as the main gauge cluster, and gauges that match the main cluster.

qwkcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-mustang
"And boy, all kinds of leg room". Jay Leno.
That was nice to hear.

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
I believe I have seen on the site a bunch of times how everyone has wanted an oil pressure gauge (or oil temp, can't remember), anyways....in the track pack, they give you the oil pressure gauge, and a vacuum gauge because... they have two gauge slots, so that's why. lol it would look kind of funny with just the oil pressure gauge there by itself. plus it will be cool to see the vacuum gauge as i put the pedal to the metal in my new GT :)
Oh I'm happy about an oil pressure gauge. But instead of the vacuum gauge I'd prefer an oil temp, trans temp, voltmeter or even a coolant temp gauge in its place.

5.0GT

Threads
Reaction score
Oh I'm happy about an oil pressure gauge. But instead of the vacuum gauge I'd prefer an oil temp, trans temp, voltmeter or even a coolant temp gauge in its place.
Thats all in the lcd between the speedo and tach, it's nice and easy to read there.

qwkcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-mustang
Thats all in the lcd between the speedo and tach, it's nice and easy to read there.
Are you sure on that base model GT? I know the base GT in the LA reveal and Jay Leno show doesn't have the 4th toggle button labeled "Mode". .. But I have not digested Base vs. MFC vs. electronics/tech/track package.

edit: I looked at the '14 order guide. It shows the track apps requires premium. Since that will likely carry over, I'm starting to think the Track Apps telemetry goodies, and the 4th toggle button labeled "mode", and the other Premium gadgets might be worth it to get "track apps" + "mode" buttons, despite I do not want another leather car. At this point, I'll have to see a '15 order guide to pick this apart any further.
Sponsored