Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Don't think DI solves all problems. Without fuel being sprayed on the back of the valves, the valves cook. I have seen some pretty startling carbon build up on LT1 engines after only 10k miles.

I think the ultimate setup is to use both Port Injection and Direct Injection in the same engine. Similar to what Audi and Toyota have used. You get the best of both worlds.
I don't, something tells me 376 cu inches has sometning to do with it as well!
Sponsored

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I'd like them to do DI and port like Toyota does. That way you get the benefits of both without the carbon buildup. The only "drawback" is most hpfp' schorl, but I could live with that with all of the benefits.
A similar, and perhaps more effective, FI system can be implemented by using passive eductors in the ports.

TexArmageddon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
snippets from horsepowerkings@com

Ford Performance is hard at work on the new GT500, according to fresh reports from Detroit. The powerplant could produce “well over the 700HP mark”, all while “breathing through a straw”. Take it for what it’s worth, but we perceive that as a hint towards Forced Induction (low boost from the factory?). We are also hearing that Ford is working ‘very hard’ on Direct-Injection for this new powerplant. Could we see Ford’s first production 5.0 EcoBoost make it’s debut in the 2018 GT500? After all, that’s what the people want. And it’s no secret that Ford has been testing a 5.0 Twin Turbo development mule as recently as a few months ago.

If this new behemoth will be a forced induction car, than we can safely assume that Ford will stick with the traditional lobe crankshaft, or at least depart from the 5.2L GT350 platform. The new GT350 is a high compression car, so running boost through the GT500 would require quite significant changes.

:ford:

But an EcoBoost doesn't fit into the brand of eco engines... What would be the point? isn't the point of the eco lineup is to have the fuel economy of the smaller engine and power of a larger engine?

I'm still placing bets on the 5.2 Hybrid Supercharged or TTV6 Ecoboost.

Deranged1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I WANT ! The GT350 will be a thing of the past if something like this comes available.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Now THAT's what I wanted to see in the Mach 1!

:headbang:
This . . . . and hopefully it'll satisfy the people complaining over cars like the GT350 not being available with automatic.

Norm

Sponsored

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I dont see the GT500 being a FPC even if it's a 5.2 block. It could be a 5.2 block with a CPC with FI, but FPC just doesnt make sense. FPC is for high revving track conditions, and just lacks the low end torque to be strip/straight line car.

A CPC 5.2 makes a whole lot more sense. The 5.0 had 435hp/400ft lbs, the 5.2 FPC is 526hp but only 29 more ft lbs. Torque per liter is much lower on a FPC and you want a toquey car for a strip car as much as big horsepower; and you arent necessarily going to rev a strip car to 8250RPM between shifts either to use what a FPC offers.

A CPC just makes more sense, especially with forced induction.

My guess is this is a CPC 5.2 test mule for the base of the engine they will use, or its simply testing the FP parts from the display photo someone posted earlier and has nothing to do with a production car.

FordBlueHeart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Torr
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 301A PP1 A10 Magneride
But an EcoBoost doesn't fit into the brand of eco engines... What would be the point? isn't the point of the eco lineup is to have the fuel economy of the smaller engine and power of a larger engine?

I'm still placing bets on the 5.2 Hybrid Supercharged or TTV6 Ecoboost.
That may be what the point is of an "eco lineup" elsewhere in Ford's lineup, but we're talking about the flagship of the Mustang.
I have no inside knowledge, but I can pretty much guarantee we won't see the V6 Ecoboost in the GT500. Nothing like alienating your loyal, V8 loving Mustang fan base. Ford will eventually be forced to do it, but we're nowhere near that dreadful day.

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
I don't, something tells me 376 cu inches has sometning to do with it as well!
Actually, engine size has nothing to do with it. The TDI 4 cylinder engines have had this issue for years. There is a you tube video showing how much buildup is on the valves and the intake manifold of a TDI after 20k miles. Pretty unnerving.:cheers:

EDIT: found the link...
[ame]

Stroked84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Actually, engine size has nothing to do with it. The TDI 4 cylinder engines have had this issue for years. There is a you tube video showing how much buildup is on the valves and the intake manifold of a TDI after 20k miles. Pretty unnerving.:cheers:

EDIT: found the link...
Entertaining video. That's a boatload of carbon, but I just hope people don't actually do this.

Sponsored

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
My supercharged Audi 3.0 has 50k with zero issues. One of the best engines I've ever owned.
I had the FSI V-10 and it was on it's third cleaning in 75K miles.

Maybe the FI has better longevity because of the positive pressure.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Sexy, would love to see that or a version of that in the 2018

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I had the FSI V-10 and it was on it's third cleaning in 75K miles.

Maybe the FI has better longevity because of the positive pressure.
I was thinking something along the same lines. However, I'm going to have my service center check it out next time I bring it in just in case. I appreciate the 411.