Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
How does that effect guys who want to do simple bolt ons, tune and e85? Is it more or less reliable? Easier or harder to tune? Longevity?
Dont know never owned a car with direct injection.
Sponsored

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
I'm not a motor guru at all but would it be fair to say the lt1 is now using the variable cam wizardry that helped the 5.0 be competitive with the ls3's larger displacement? I don't know how the pushrod vs dohc characteristic make this different but it seems to me m 5.0 liters isn't enough
the LT1 uses VCT but it is different and less capable than the coyote because on the LT1 you can only advance or retard the timing on all the valves at once since it only has 1 cam...with the Coyote the intake and exhaust valves have seperate cams which allows for a far greater amount of variation. Dodge uses a 1 cam setup on their 392's , however they devised a 2 piece cam inside cam design that allows the exhaust and intake to be adjusted independently similar to the coyote...pretty ingeneous

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
Less horsepower and more torque for both.

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
Did you see the caption below on the motor details list. Tests done with 101 octane gas and longtube headers. Take that away and your down 50hp!!!
Not always true. Sometimes higher octane is used as insurance during testing. If there is no detonation to start with? There might not be a huge HP loss. Remember, higher the octane means the slower the burn.

Sponsored

Ultimateone

Yes is that's guy /\
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F32 435i Xdrive
woah at all of this.

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
So the GT is going to put out more hp than the GT350?

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Not always true. Sometimes higher octane is used as insurance during testing. If there is no detonation to start with? There might not be a huge HP loss. Remember, higher the octane means the slower the burn.
The long tubes have a bigger impact on that 50hp then the octane increase!

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
DI has a couple of issues.

Carbon build up in the intake tract and HPFP issues because most pumps are driven off of the cam. This puts limits on outputs for mods.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
this may be for the s650 at that huge of a jump in power...unless they want to put the camaro back on the shelf for reals again...they pull that out in 2018 then.... dayum.

Sponsored

Stroked84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
What do we really think this motor is going in if anything? No one is suggesting this is just the 2018 GT refresh motor, right? Would Ford be testing the motor for an S650 GT this soon? Would Ford put a Mach 1 out with more power than the GT350?

If this fit between the GT and GT350, I would be all over this before even a 727 GT. How did previous Shelby's and Mach 1's compare to each other in price?

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
I'd like them to do DI and port like Toyota does. That way you get the benefits of both without the carbon buildup. The only "drawback" is most hpfp's chirp, but I could live with that with all of the benefits.

Last edited:

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
The camaro benefits from direct injection which the coyote has yet to use!
Don't think DI solves all problems. Without fuel being sprayed on the back of the valves, the valves cook. I have seen some pretty startling carbon build up on LT1 engines after only 10k miles.

I think the ultimate setup is to use both Port Injection and Direct Injection in the same engine. Similar to what Audi and Toyota have used. You get the best of both worlds.

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
snippets from horsepowerkings@com

Ford Performance is hard at work on the new GT500, according to fresh reports from Detroit. The powerplant could produce “well over the 700HP mark”, all while “breathing through a straw”. Take it for what it’s worth, but we perceive that as a hint towards Forced Induction (low boost from the factory?). We are also hearing that Ford is working ‘very hard’ on Direct-Injection for this new powerplant. Could we see Ford’s first production 5.0 EcoBoost make it’s debut in the 2018 GT500? After all, that’s what the people want. And it’s no secret that Ford has been testing a 5.0 Twin Turbo development mule as recently as a few months ago.

If this new behemoth will be a forced induction car, than we can safely assume that Ford will stick with the traditional lobe crankshaft, or at least depart from the 5.2L GT350 platform. The new GT350 is a high compression car, so running boost through the GT500 would require quite significant changes.

:ford:

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Wondering why they have an oil separator for the driver side and not the passenger side?

But amazing motor. It looks really nice.
Sponsored