2017 gt auto gear ratio?

jshbell256

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I have a standard gt automatic with the 3.15 gears. I have read conflicting things about changing the gear ratio on the auto. Some people say it makes things worse some swear by it. If I did I was planning on 3.73 or maybe 3.55 as it's still my daily driver. Or is it even worth doing to the car?
Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
In what way does it make things worse?

Gears have long been a huge bang for the buck you feel the moment you get behind the wheel.

They can be costly by the time you pay for installation, but are generally worth every penny.

Choosing your ratio is super important. What is your driving like, city, highway? Do you value acceleration over cruising RPM? Are you ok with a SLIGHT loss of MPG in highway driving?

3:55 was a factory gear option. Personally I would go with 3:73 (or higher), but I don’t mind the trade offs.

Here’s a good series of gear related discussion https://www.americanmuscle.com/mustang-rear-differential-gears.html

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Since there are six years of S-550's out there now, there is bound to be a few in boneyards by now. You can save yourself a ton of money. Factory ratios available were 3.15, 3.31 on manual cars, 3.55's were optional on both trans. The PP1 cars got 3.55 with the A6 and A10 and 3.73 with the M6 and a torsen diff. There is only four bolts that hold the center section into the rear cradle, you can actually do the swap at home with basic hand tools. But changing out the gears in your center section will cost a lot more, requires specialized tools, and the skill to get them right. It's your money, but I would look around and see if you can find one with a 3.55 or 3.73 gear set before I would drop ~$1500 on changing the gears

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Since there are six years of S-550's out there now, there is bound to be a few in boneyards by now. You can save yourself a ton of money. Factory ratios available were 3.15, 3.31 on manual cars, 3.55's were optional on both trans. The PP1 cars got 3.55 with the A6 and A10 and 3.73 with the M6 and a torsen diff. There is only four bolts that hold the center section into the rear cradle, you can actually do the swap at home with basic hand tools. But changing out the gears in your center section will cost a lot more, requires specialized tools, and the skill to get them right. It's your money, but I would look around and see if you can find one with a 3.55 or 3.73 gear set before I would drop ~$1500 on changing the gears
Good point on swapping the center section.

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
I have factory 3.55 gears and they’re a bit too aggressive. Until you do suspension work to actually have traction to use the gear then there’s no point really. Also your top speed will be lower with 3.55 gears if you care about that. If you’re still NA I would say do gears but after doing the suspension work to control wheel hop and maybe wider tires. Another thing to consider is if you have an exhaust that doesn’t drone at highway speeds you might after the gear swap because your rpm will be higher.
Sponsored