Sponsored

5.0 Coyote vs LS3/LT1 GM engines - how do they compare?

boxstang40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 lx hatch
The only thing i take from this is the modular design yields better numbers. I like both brands and my dad has a mild built 02 ss which is really fun to drive. However the coyote 5.0 is a great engine, especially when the gm pushrod has to be 6.2 to compete. That being said i love the sound of a big cam ls engine.
Sponsored

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
I really don't know anything about the limitations of DI. I see you post regularly about it. If one is going for serious power and deep into the single digits, is the ls3 a better option than the lt1?
Id definitely pick an ls. But that seems silly to swap out the engine for a motor that possibly wont work with engine harness and causing you to go standalone. Dont misunderstand they will get into the 9s. But fueling upgrades will cost lot more. For people that want well over 1000whp youll need to switch
to an engine without DI. Unless they have made some crazy cam driven fuel pumps i havent heard about. From what i know its technology limited at the moment.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
If i was building a fast chevy id pick an ls engine. Not any lt variant. Without a doubt.
If I were picking a Chevy I'd use an old small block Chevy. Way cheaper than an LS.

Sponsored

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
If I were picking a Chevy I'd use an old small block Chevy. Way cheaper than an LS.
To be honest i dont know much about older chevy engines, just the old lt and then the ls, then current lt. I know about older ford engines though. Whats a good old school chevy choice

Higgs Boson

Detonation Denotation
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350R
Can you explain to me how a direct injection chevy engine is going to make well over 1000whp without a nitrous? You do also know the coyote with a tt has gone faster on a stock engine then a Viper or vette with the same done. Boost for boost on stock engines lt or ls are not playing the same sport as coyotes. Full build vs full build lt engines are not going as fast as coyotes that i have seen anywhere. :confused:

Im not saying the coyote is some clear best winner for all but compared to the coyote the lt is not the best choice for hauling ass in nicely into the single digits.
well, my DI C7 has over 900 rwhp with a 1500SL novi and 10-11 psi and no nitrous....most of your novi kits for the mustang start with the 2200, right?

I could easily bump the head unit one or two sizes on the same bracket and build 20 psi, where do you think I would be then? and it's not ilke mine is the highest HP either.....I think you need to go visit corvetteforum.

with that said, DI is a huge hinderance at the moment until we have some much larger injectors available but when we do.....watch out baby!:thumbsup:

Higgs Boson

Detonation Denotation
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350R
To be honest i dont know much about older chevy engines, just the old lt and then the ls, then current lt. I know about older ford engines though. Whats a good old school chevy choice
they are all basically the same thing. in my race car I run high 9s with a low compression (8:1) 1968 327 and a three speed auto spinning 8000 (although with more gear it will spin 9000 but then I have issues with the launch).

point being, it doesn't matter which one you choose.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
When going old school just go big block to start.:D

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
well, my DI C7 has over 900 rwhp with a 1500SL novi and 10-11 psi and no nitrous....most of your novi kits for the mustang start with the 2200, right?

I could easily bump the head unit one or two sizes on the same bracket and build 20 psi, where do you think I would be then? and it's not ilke mine is the highest HP either.....I think you need to go visit corvetteforum.

with that said, DI is a huge hinderance at the moment until we have some much larger injectors available but when we do.....watch out baby!:thumbsup:
Every centri c7 ive seen makes around 650-750s on about that boost with meth or e85 plus other upgrades :confused:

Fastest c7 ive seen is 9.39. It was lmr's car. That wasnt even the stock engine if i recall correctly. Based on everything ive seen it takes more boost to make similar power and is going slower in the 1/4 then the coyote. I havent been to the vette forums in 3-4 months. Unless something has changed. :shrug:

Its more then just injectors holding you guys back unless thats changed too, it was fuel the cam driven fuel pumps.

Last edited:

Sponsored

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
they are all basically the same thing. in my race car I run high 9s with a low compression (8:1) 1968 327 and a three speed auto spinning 8000 (although with more gear it will spin 9000 but then I have issues with the launch).

point being, it doesn't matter which one you choose.
Thanks. I had a feeling they were similar to them but didnt want to assume. :cheers:
When going old school just go big block to start.:D
I dont know enough about big blocks because ive never had interest in them. I always liked small blocks . I suppose its because its where i started in the 80s. I had always heard you can wind out small blocks farther. I never had a desire to check out the big block for my own builds.

MotorJoe

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB S550 GT Auto
How much power can the Coyote make while being FI, safely and without modifying internals?

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
How much power can the Coyote make while being FI, safely and without modifying internals?
800-850s. So far 100% stock motor has made about 1100. The only mod for that kind of power reliably on the stock heads is just stiffer spings. The short block would be a different story for any kind of reliability. Anything north of 900s the block seems to start egging after an unknown period of time. Even the blocks that have egged so far the internals looked fine. Its all structural with the block itself.

Last edited:

Adaraas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
16 Premium GT, 17 Laramie Cummins
Wait till the Chevy boys find out how much a "real cam swap" is going to cost on a LT1..

To see gains more than about 30WHP you're going to have to delete AFM. Most cam and install parts packages run about $950. Add in $350 for a AFM delete kit and another $2,700+ for labor to install and tune...

You're going to be looking at about $4,000 for a cam swap.

And they talk shit about Coyote cam swaps being expensive.
I got a quote for my corvette for 5k flat from Lashway Performance in south florida.

The thing is... how about you install it yourself? When I was looking to get a cam done there was NO info anywhere. Now there is tons.

The issue is it is a massive job with taking the heads off and the oil pan. It isn't hard, just time consuming.

Once they finally come out with injectors I'll be looking to pick up another one. I believe ID has already released ID850s, but of course that isn't good enough for 20 lbs of boost.

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I do like the 5.0 but the fun factor of our '06 GTO (LS2) was tough to deny. The low end grunt is fantastic and they pull surprisingly hard on the top end too. I ran a FAST 90 and full exhaust and a couple other goodies (along with a 150 wet kit) and loved that engine. Moving to the '12 GT, I ran out of gear really fast, had no passing power in 6th on the highway (never needed to downshift in the goat), and was initially disappointed. I grew to love the top end pull of the 5.0 and accepted the differences but it really is hard to be disappointed with either engine. They're both fantastic power plants.
Sponsored