Sponsored

401A speaker upgrade

Ajax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT PP
This is a continuation of what others have done but adds a replacement of the door midrange speaker. A ton of sound is handled by the door midrange speakers.

Parts list:

JBL GTO 329 3.5" coaxial speakers in doors
JBL GTO 628 6.5" two way speakers in doors
JBL GTO 638 6.5" three way speakers in rear deck
2x 72-5602 metra speaker harness

Walk through:

Install of rear deck speakers is straight forward and covered in other posts. Basically remove carpet on rear deck and then remove three screws from each stock speaker and use mounting plates included in 638 kit to mount them in stock locations. I removed the middle two wires from the 72-5602 and soldered the remaining wires to the speakers. Swap was completely plug and play. No wires were cut.

Front door 6.5" speakers were similar to rear deck except I needed a way to get wire harness to front side of door. Speaker terminals are inside door. I cut a small channel into the included speaker mounting plate so wires could pass under the speaker mount. See 8 o'clock in below pic.
image.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ajax

Ajax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Midrange install:

I used JBL 329 3.5" two way speakers in midrange spot. To install I used a Dremel to remove the lip from the stock mounting bracket. I then cut the wires at the stock speaker terminals. I then soldered the stock wires to the JBL terminals. Last, I had to grind some of the opening to allow the speakers to fit with room for the wires. Used some spray paint to protect where I grinded.
image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ajax

Ajax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dremel work is 6 to 9 o'clock on driver door and 3 to 6 o'clock on passenger door. Took off about 1/8". Maybe slightly more.
image.jpg

OP
OP
Ajax

Ajax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Results:

I am very happy with sound. Front fill is much stronger with eq set at 0 for all settings. Total install took about three hours. Some of that time was figuring out how I was going to mount the mids. Total cost was approx 150.00 off amazon.

ktp1598

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona Blue California Special
I have the 9 speaker 400A. Already have 638's in the rear but no sub in the trunk. Do you think the 628's will give a bit more bass?

Sponsored

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
those mids are 3ohm, with an 8ohm factory tweeter in parallel. Youre basically running a 2ohm impedance now

sandpiper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
I have the 9 speaker 400A. Already have 638's in the rear but no sub in the trunk. Do you think the 628's will give a bit more bass?
No. I did not replace the doors, just the rear deck with JBL 629s. Sounded better, but no real improvement in bass. I eventually added a Rockford Fosgate P 300-10 self powered sub. Made all the difference in the world. I should have added the sub first to see how it would have effected the sound before I replaced the 6.5s

Last edited:

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
says its 3ohm on the amazon page, says its 4 ohm when combined with the small gauge wiring of a factory system

OP
OP
Ajax

Ajax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Manual included in box says 2 ohms. But it's the wrong manual. LoL. 328 not equal to 329.

Last edited:

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
Manual included in box says 2 ohms. But it's the wrong manual. LoL. 328 not equal to 329.

I measured stock 3.5" speaker at 2.3 - 2.4 ohm with several different multimeters including my fluke 77. Amp is seeing 1.79 - 1.85 ohm with stock speakers if my calculations are correct.
I noted this same discrepancy with the 638's. Still don't know what the real rating is.

Ajax, do you feel that this address's most of the muddy sound issue in the front stage? Particularly with the vocals, guitar, keyboard areas? I have planned this work for the spring. The rear did make a sizable improvement for me. Thanks for posting.

Chris

Sponsored

FluxPrism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Measuring Speaker Impedance

I measured stock 3.5" speaker at 2.3 - 2.4 ohm with several different multimeters including my fluke 77. Amp is seeing 1.79 - 1.85 ohm with stock speakers if my calculations are correct.
Ahh, the trap! It snares another hobbyist!

To be more clear, the impedance figure for a speaker is not the typical DC resistance that you can measure with a typical Ohm meter or multimeter. In fact, the value that they advertise is more of an average of the impedance to AC (music signals are AC...) across the usable frequency range of the speaker. And, yes, the impedance varies quite a bit with frequency.

The first Google result for measuring speaker impedance gives a good idea of the problems: It notes that using a multimeter to measure the DC resistance of a standard 8 ohm home speaker will typically result in a measurement of around 6.5 ohms on the meter.

All that to say...don't get caught up in trying to measure the speaker, you likely don't have the tools necessary. (If you want to try, there is a kit available from PartsExpress for around $100 that should let you analyze a speaker.) The best guidance remains the manufacturer's published values.

Good Luck!

OP
OP
Ajax

Ajax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vocals and guitar is much improved. I used the JBL audio tools on my iPad and what looks low now is the highs 8k - 16k. Mids are are nearly 1/3 better than stock in mids 500 - 2k.

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
Vocals and guitar is much improved. I used the JBL audio tools on my iPad and what looks low now is the highs 8k - 16k. Mids are are nearly 1/3 better than stock in mids 500 - 2k.
Thanks for confirming. I've ordered mine. :cheers:

Chris

OP
OP
Ajax

Ajax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ohm value of stock door 3.5" speaker is 2ohms. So much bad data out there and I don't have access to a speaker tester yet. I saw a sticker on the side of the removed speakers from Stoli's car. I went back out and pulled my door panel.
image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ajax

Ajax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6.5 in door is 2 ohms.
image.jpg