corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Did the Torsen diff cause any complications changing the gearing, never seen one regeared, so not sure what needs replacing in addition to normal bevels.
No different than any other axle gear swap - bolt the ring gear up to the Torsen and go through the same pinion depth and backlash work. The only thing that be different I can think of offhand would be the fluid choice.

Norm

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Exactly :cwl:. And that it does now. I'd sell the car if I had to go back to 3.73s. No joke. That's how bad I hated the gear ratios. Now 1st and reverse are actually usable without having to ride the clutch! Oh, and so is 6th. Because around here with the gay 55 mph speed limits, 6th was useless. Essentially I got 1st, reverse, and 6th back. And it accelerates faster. Why would you NOT want 4.88s? I can't believe this is even a question.
Because they completely break the car, lol. I mean I'm hoping you can find a solution, but so far that's a pretty solid reason to not want them.

OP
OP
L0566Bullitt

L0566Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
Because they completely break the car, lol. I mean I'm hoping you can find a solution, but so far that's a pretty solid reason to not want them.
That aside...haha

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Now 1st and reverse are actually usable without having to ride the clutch!
Where would you need to ride the clutch in those gears with 3.73s that you wouldn't at least occasionally have to with 4.88s?

I can understand not wanting to be running at 1600-ish rpm in 6th. But not why you'd choose to run at 2100 rpm in 6th over 2100 rpm in 5th. Save 6th for roads like I-95, I-85, and I-40.

I don't understand why it's even a question either.

Norm

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Where would you need to ride the clutch in those gears with 3.73s that you wouldn't at least occasionally have to with 4.88s?
My clutch is fully out at 7mph with the 3.73. A 2mph change to 5mph is something you require? When I'm in stop and go traffic (which I avoid like the plague) the speeds are more like 3mph, or stop go 2 car lengths and stop again. You're going to be working the clutch constantly regardless.

With 2000 RPM on the clock I'm doing 13mph in first gear. Rolling fast into the throttle from that point the car accelerated with alacrity.

I can understand not wanting to be running at 1600-ish rpm in 6th. But not why you'd choose to run at 2100 rpm in 6th over 2100 rpm in 5th. Save 6th for roads like I-95, I-85, and I-40.

I don't understand why it's even a question either.
Shoot I catch myself at 60mph steady-state speeds still in 4th gear. I hope you can figure out your gremlins but this mod makes no sense at all to me.

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
My clutch is fully out at 7mph with the 3.73. A 2mph change to 5mph is something you require? When I'm in stop and go traffic (which I avoid like the plague) the speeds are more like 3mph, or stop go 2 car lengths and stop again. You're going to be working the clutch constantly regardless.
My point to OP exactly . . .

All I can figure is that OP is hard-wired to put the transmission in a higher gear because it makes him happy to be higher up in the pattern, instead of driving in a manner that keeps the engine happy without worrying about what it takes to do that.

Norm

Superspirit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Why can't the man do to his car as he pleases without someone else telling him he's wrong. HE PAID FOR IT. IT'S WHAT HE WANTS. ok I said my piece.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Why can't the man do to his car as he pleases without someone else telling him he's wrong. HE PAID FOR IT. IT'S WHAT HE WANTS. ok I said my piece.
Don't forget that OP came here with a problem from that choice that has defied full solution. At that point it becomes reasonable to question the initial choice.

If nothing else, this thread might help somebody else avoid running into the same situation.

Norm

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Just read this from post 1 to current and I see several different things here. First of witch is how differently people drive their manuals. I was taught to use every gear and use them as designed too. I'll never understand the guys that skip gears, start from stand still in 2nd, or cruise in 4th at 60+mph. My car is 99% stock for now and I have zero issues with this manual transmission. Like many of you guys, I've driven manuals for many years but I start in 1st and work my way accordingly up to 6th at freeway speeds. Now of course if I take a trip to Mexico, I usually keep the RPMs high till my trip is done and then back to cruising in 6th on freeways and such. I want to accelerate quicker so I plan on 4.09 gears and that's why I came to read this thread. Now I've not driven a Bullitt however, it seems very unlikely any manufacturer would sell a car where gears were actually unusable. I've read complaints before how the same car as mine also has unusable gears and I don't have the same issue at all so it leads me to believe it's just a different type of driver. For plain old calm and collected commuting to work on streets these cars are far and again more than good to go without any clutch riding or other special techniques. Maybe that's where my disconnect is, I didn't see anything saying this was drag strip specific but could have missed it. I for sure see the OP's goal though, accelerate faster so bigger gears, no brainer. I guess my hang up is the "unusable" gears in stock form. Cruising in 6th and need to accelerate, drop to appropriate gear and go and that wont change no matter what size your gears are. No reason not to cruise in 6th at freeway speeds, saves fuel (for those who care) and easier on the engine right? Anyway, just my .02 on some things and I hope OP gets his car figured out. Thinking of just budgeting doing both gears and a tune at the same time to try and avoid the headache a few of you have had with gear swaps.

gismo4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT PP1
It's the internet so their opinions are fact. Also, everyone is an expert in driving an 18+ with 4.88s. OP is not allowed to drive and enjoy his car with 4.88s if it goes against my opinion... I mean fact! It'd be nice if people online in general would lean to being helpful instead of stating their opposing views. Can we focus on how to resolve the issues OP is having rather than questioning his decision to have 4.88s? A decision he is obviously happy with.

Superspirit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
It's the internet so their opinions are fact. Also, everyone is an expert in driving an 18+ with 4.88s. OP is not allowed to drive and enjoy his car with 4.88s if it goes against my opinion... I mean fact! It'd be nice if people online in general would lean to being helpful instead of stating their opposing views. Can we focus on how to resolve the issues OP is having rather than questioning his decision to have 4.88s? A decision he is obviously happy with.
Why can't I hit the like button 5 times !!!!!!

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
I have no issue with the OP doing whatever the hell he wants to his car, his car, his money, his business. But I am curious as to whether his stated reasons for the change make sense and that is subjective and they may very well make sense for the OP, but not for me.

I viewed this thread in a more "that is interesting, wonder why he did that and what the benefits and downsides were to doing that were?" rather than an " he's an idiot, I don't agree with this therefore he's wrong"

Too old and long in the tooth to think that and quite frankly i don't care enough to get wound up. I don't mean that in a negative F you kind of way, just in my priority list of things to be concerned with, some others guys gearing preferences aren't top of my list and he may well be right but not something I care to replicate. :)
Sponsored