Sponsored

3.73 gears interstate behavior question

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
With the performance pack, from what I understand it's 3.73 gears.

If you have the 3.73 gears, how does it perform on the interstate? I saw a recommendation for those with a longer commute to avoid the 3.73.Is that just because of gas mileage, or is it long term wear and tear due to higher RPM? I'm looking at getting a GT soon and have a 35 mile commute each way. The car will get at least 15,000 miles a year on it if I spend a significant time driving my truck during the rain/snow days.

Advice?
Sponsored

abuch91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I drive mine 60+ miles a day..don't get as good milage as the longer gears but it doesn't bother me.

mculver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang Mach 1, 1969 Boss 302, 2016 GT
at 80MPH only raving 2300RPM in 6th...not too bad. The best I got on a road trip is 21 MPG strictly highway miles from Orlando to Miami. Around town I get much less gas mileage. Not sure how people are getting higher gas milage. After 6000 miles on my GT my total average is 16 MPG. However, i did not buy a performance car to get good gas mileage :-)

skytop1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
I just drove up to Augusta Georgia to have my MGW shifter installed. I cruised with the traffic at 80~85 mph. The RPM was about 22 or 2,300. That is not bad. The car returned about 24.5 mpg at constant speed.
I was 100% comfortable with the 3.73 gear plus the additional acceleration is a major feature. The car was reasonably quiet (convertible) and I really enjoyed the trip!

Go for the Performance Pack if the money is available. You will never regret it but you will regret not ordering it! The entire package with the incredibly Brembo brakes are UNBELIEVABLY GREAT. At first, be sure not to kiss your windshield!

Last edited:

Sponsored

franklin9150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT Premium PP
Not sure where you saw the recommendation to avoid the 3:73's. I daily driver my PP car in mixed city interstate and local roads, but have taken several longer highway trips. My last one was about 300 miles round trip with 4 full size adults, a/c on, with about 30 miles of downtown driving in between. For the entire trip, I averaged just over 24 mpg. As far as wear and tear, I think it is a non-issue. These cars were meant to be driven. I say go for it.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
6th runs at a low RPM even at 75-80 mph. Its completely fine. Wear and tear is a non issue.

If you want gas mileage though, you're better off with a different car or an Ecoboost. My GT gets as high as 24mpg on the highway, but that doesn't include any starting or stopping. My average gas mileage is sub-20 mpg. The good news is that the GT takes 87 octane without complaint. Maybe down a hp or two, but with 430 on tap you can spare a couple.

Running 87 octane, I actually break even on price per mile versus my E42 BMW 328 which got much higher gas mileage, but required premium gas. I only lost a little range between fillups.

Brando

Get Some
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Red LX 331 Stroker
My lifetime mpg average with minimal highway time is 15 mpg exactly. If you're concerned about excessive wear and tear, don't be. If you're worried about mpgs, get at Prius or at least an ecoboost. Just do it. You won't regret it. You won't regret the GTPP that is.

OP
OP

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
Thanks all. I'm not concerned about mpg. My tacoma averages about 17 as it is, so a GT will be an improvement..lol

I've kinda been weighing the options in my mind. The way I see it, my budget will get me a 2015 premium with relatively low miles or a 2016 standard with PP. Looks to me like the premium is basically just leather and MFT. My wife has MFT in her explorer and it's nice, but honestly I get annoyed trying to find what I need on there. If the standard dash setup will sync with my galaxy and I get a backup camera, I'll be happy.

I want black with black wheels, and it looks like the 19" black wheels are a PP option, so I may try to get a new 16 PP. I suppose I could just plasti-dip another wheel. I'm 36 with kids, so I don't HAVE to get the PP since it'll be unlikely that I'll even accept a red light challenge. I'm mostly looking forward to that GROWL echoing off the mountains as I carve corners to the interstate in the morning. I've been listening to aftermarket exhaust setups on youtube and I'm getting the fever BAD. An 87-93 five-ohhhh GT was the ultimate cool car when I was in high school. Ford's marketing has done an excellent job of remembering that I'm 36 now and can finally achieve the dream..lol

I'll have my truck paid off in June and can start looking seriously. I only owe 1000 on it, so I wouldn't be surprised if I talk myself into paying it off early. I'd like to find out how it'll affect my credit score because at the moment I'm a 780 across the board and I want it to stay there when it comes time to finance.

Any other recommendations or stuff I should know? I've been checking out the exhausts and the Ford Racing Borla sounds incredible, as does the Borla ATAK and one of the Rousch setups I saw.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
San Juan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP
Any other recommendations or stuff I should know? I've been checking out the exhausts and the Ford Racing Borla sounds incredible, as does the Borla ATAK and one of the Rousch setups I saw.
There are a lot of really good exhaust set ups. I have the Borla ATAK catback and really love it! I personally checked all 3 of those when I was on my search and liked the ATAK the best.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
corsa

the end

OP
OP

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
There are a lot of really good exhaust set ups. I have the Borla ATAK catback and really love it! I personally checked all 3 of those when I was on my search and liked the ATAK the best.
I'm not really up to speed on mods these days. If I go with something cat back, would I pick up some HP? Can I bypass the CC without voiding the warranty? There are no vehicle inspections in KY (other than someone looking at it for a moment when first registering it) so I'm not concerned about failing.

I want a real deep, throaty idle and a smooth rev. The ones I've liked the best have a clean, gradual acceleration sound as opposed to just going all squirrely after a couple thousand RPM. The ford racing borla is a perfect example of deep and smooth.

stang305

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt