3.5 Ecoboost Engine Swap

DruDru_97

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost premium
Hello there, I've been bouncing around the idea of swapping the 2.3 I4 out of my ecoboost and putting in a 3.5 v6. I know its not particularly cost effective and if I wanted more power I should've gone for the 5.0 but Im curious how doable this is.

Currently my 2.3 has a bent intake valve so I need to do some valve work to get the car back on the road, assuming the piston isnt cracked. IF the piston is cracked I'm seriously considering swapping to the 3.5 rather than rebuilding the 2.3 but I want to know if anyone has information on this.

Are the engine mounts from the 3.7 the same as the 3.5? I know the turbos and exhaust manifolds from the 3.5 fit on the 3.7 so Im curious if there are other parts that are shared between the 3.5 and the 3.7.

If the engine mounts are not the same, will the 3.7 mounts fit the 3.5?

Obviously I'd need the harness for the 3.5, the intercooler, and so on.
Any thoughts on it all?
Sponsored

SouthernCyclone

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang 3.7 TT
It’s been done on a 3.7 V6 mustang and it still wasn’t cheap.
3.7 engine is basically a bored out 3.5 like the F150 3.5 EB, but the 3.7 has port injection and few other changes engine wise.

SouthernCyclone

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang 3.7 TT
Hello there, I've been bouncing around the idea of swapping the 2.3 I4 out of my ecoboost and putting in a 3.5 v6. I know its not particularly cost effective and if I wanted more power I should've gone for the 5.0 but Im curious how doable this is.

Currently my 2.3 has a bent intake valve so I need to do some valve work to get the car back on the road, assuming the piston isnt cracked. IF the piston is cracked I'm seriously considering swapping to the 3.5 rather than rebuilding the 2.3 but I want to know if anyone has information on this.

Are the engine mounts from the 3.7 the same as the 3.5? I know the turbos and exhaust manifolds from the 3.5 fit on the 3.7 so Im curious if there are other parts that are shared between the 3.5 and the 3.7.

Any thoughts on it all?
I’ve read the 2.0 Focus ST block is better then the 2.3 EB block. So I would probably build one of those for ease. 3.5 is going to be a lot of work and more money.

Elgyn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost, MT, DIB, Premium, PP
That's more of a PITA than it's be worth. It's not a simple drop in, add a couple of bits, move a few things around and re-program a couple modules. It's a gut the car and start from scratch type of project. If you want more power, cubes or whatever a 5.0L swap would have a better R.O.I.

OP
OP
DruDru_97

DruDru_97

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost premium
I’ve read the 2.0 Focus ST block is better then the 2.3 EB block. So I would probably build one of those for ease. 3.5 is going to be a lot of work and more money.
Would the 2.0 block mount the same as the 2.3?

Sponsored

charlesj5

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
@DruDru_97 The Type-A 2.0 block from TunePlus would work and perform very well if you're not looking to spend $10K+ on a 5.0. I'm currently replacing my 2018 2.3 after a rod went through the bottom. Out the door from TunePlus, I ended up spending around $7K for a full assembly kit, upgraded 2.0 Type-A block, NX2 turbo kit, radium baffle plate, catch cans, oil, plugs, pulley, studs and several other items. I'm also replacing the cylinder head and manifold from Ford and that netted around $700. It all comes down to how much time and money you have. As others have said, ROI would be way better on a Coyote swap and that would of been my choice but i don't have type of cash or patience. Additionally, I think that would require a new wiring harness and fabrication items that would run more in labor than I was interested in figuring out. I'd assume a V6 3.7 would have a similar situation, but i have no idea on that. Hope this helps

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang

Any thoughts on it all?
I've been waiting for the Taurus Cop cars to start coming to auction for a similar project! And have even thought about picking up a Crown Vic to swap into my 2010 Stang!??

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
@DruDru_97 The Type-A 2.0 block from TunePlus would work and perform very well if you're not looking to spend $10K+ on a 5.0. I'm currently replacing my 2018 2.3 after a rod went through the bottom. Out the door from TunePlus, I ended up spending around $7K for a full assembly kit, upgraded 2.0 Type-A block, NX2 turbo kit, radium baffle plate, catch cans, oil, plugs, pulley, studs and several other items. I'm also replacing the cylinder head and manifold from Ford and that netted around $700. It all comes down to how much time and money you have. As others have said, ROI would be way better on a Coyote swap and that would of been my choice but i don't have type of cash or patience. Additionally, I think that would require a new wiring harness and fabrication items that would run more in labor than I was interested in figuring out. I'd assume a V6 3.7 would have a similar situation, but i have no idea on that. Hope this helps
What caused it to blow? What mods did you have at the time?, Boost pressure? Power levels? Very curious as I have an 18 and wondering how much my car is in borrowed time.

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang

Any thoughts on it all?
I've talked with the guys at AutoMafia when I was racing down in Florida last year... They've developed some mods for the 3.7 with turbo chargers and have had results similar to the SHO 3.5 specs! 2011 V6 Mustangs are starting to pop up on Craig's List for under $5K...

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Saturn ion, 2019 201A, EB PP1, Ruby Red