Advertisement

2.3 litre Ecoboost swap to 5.0 coyote or 5.2 vodoo engine

Discussion in 'I4 2.3L EcoBoost Engine / Mods: Bolt-ons, Exhaust,' started by saurigaiozi, Aug 1, 2020.

1. saurigaiozi

saurigaiozi Member

First Name:
    Gaioz
    Vehicle(s):
    Mustang
    0   0   0
    Hello

I am planing to DIY sawp swap to 5.0 coyote or 5.2 vodoo engine in to my ecoboost vehivle. May i ask if it is possible and where i can find more info about this topic, like maybe step by step guide?

Regards,
    Thank you for your Time ^_^

2. Chef jpd

Chef jpd Well-Known Member

First Name:
    John
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 GT PP1 6M, GL
    Garage Profiles:
    Rating:
    100%
    3   0   0
    Do a search, there have been several gen 2 and 3 5.0 swaps well documented.
    Have not seen a 5.2 transplant yet.

3. OP
    OP
    saurigaiozi

saurigaiozi Member

First Name:
    Gaioz
    Vehicle(s):
    Mustang
    0   0   0
    Maybe you remember where you found it? i am looking but can not find

4. jrock

jrock The

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Blue EB
    Garage Profiles:
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
  5. FreePenguin

FreePenguin Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Donald
    Vehicle(s):
    17 mustang
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
    If it was an easy transplant id of done it. I saw a low mileage like brand new gt350 engine and trans on sale from that one seller parts yard or whatever at like 10-12k buy it now. but I knew it was damn impossible without doubling that cost in time and energy.

6. jrock

jrock The

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Blue EB
    Garage Profiles:
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    I think it is an easy transplant and can be completed in a short amount of time. Cost would be the only factor. But, I plan on keeping this car till the end. So, I don't care that mush about cost due to the idea of not buying a new car later. Of course, I would try to resell all of my old parts to help out. My 2016 has only 19K on it now. I have researched the state Inspections and it looks like it is good as long as the motor is the same year or newer. So, It is on my bucket list. Of course, it will be a couple of years down the road. I think it will be a fun swap.

saurigaiozi likes this.
  7. dgc333

dgc333 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle(s):
    15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
    0   0   0
    I would venture a guess that to swap a 2.3 to a 5.0 would cost more than selling the 2.3 Mustang and buying a 5.0 Mustang.

If you are intent on doing this the best approach is to buy a compete wreck GT to use as a doner. If you don't you will be chasing all the little parts that you never think of for months.

I speak from experience having swapped a SB Chevy into a CJ5, a 350 into Pontiac LeMans and my most recent a 360 into a /6 Barracuda.

saurigaiozi likes this.
  8. jrock

jrock The

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Blue EB
    Garage Profiles:
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    What fun is it to sell the car and buy another one?

The link I posted earlier had a full list of items needed for the swap. All of the parts can be obtained from one location. That is also in the write up.

I have completed many swaps in the past to include some fox bodies, v8 Ranger amd V8 S10 Blazer. I just endded up selling those cars or trucks. But, not this car. I will keep till the end like I said.

saurigaiozi likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    saurigaiozi

saurigaiozi Member

First Name:
    Gaioz
    Vehicle(s):
    Mustang
    0   0   0
    The thing is sometimes you get emotionally attached to the vehicle and you just want to improve it. Many guys wont get it with just cash thinking. I understand that its way easier to sell but i want this excat vehicle with its story to create new story. As i see there is no complete tutorial without changing whole car interior cables. Its a pity it would have been cool if we had step to step guide in community.

10. Turbong

Turbong Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
    0   0   0
    I get what you're saying but the process is not for the faint of heart, the difficulty level is pretty high,this is not an improvement like a turbo swap, it's a complete car transformation where you have to rip everything apart, it's road you need to figure out for yourself and not something most people will be willing to try. a lot of times the simple answer is the best one.

11. krack999

krack999 Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 Mustang Ecoboost
    0   0   0
    That's too bad you desire to put a V8 in the car... My dream build would be to take a junker V6 S550 and replace the V6 with a 3.5L out of a wrecked raptor.
    But seriously... with the money, I would just go with an E85 build with a new motor, better HPFP, bigger injectors, light port injection to get rid of carbon build up on the valves, NX2 or other higher flowing twin scroll. You are then making the same HP as the GT or GT350, but, with what I think is a better handling car (you can tell a difference when driving, the nose feels heavier).

Now, the other dream build is to some how figure out how to twincharge an Ecoboost with an Eaton M90/M112 and a higher flowing single scroll turbo. I miss my Terminator supercharger whine, bad.... but, I don't miss the poor handling and lack of modern electronics. Not sure how to pull that off without adding an extra heat exchanger. Doing the Vortech supercharger directly feeding the turbo is not the same.

12. mitchmad9

mitchmad9 New Member

First Name:
    Mitch
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 Ecoboost
    0   0   0
    For real. I'm looking into a Tuneplus 2.0 engine with the 2.3 internals and full MAP kit.

13. Idaho2018GTPremium

Idaho2018GTPremium Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mustang GT Premium A10 w/ PP1 and MagneRide
    0   0   0
  14. Cardude99

Cardude99 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Sam
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Ecoboost
    0   0   0
    Best thing to do if the engine blows is to suck up the cost, buy a used one, throw it in with a buddy to save on labor, return to stock and trade it in immediately. Take the depreciation hit and learn your lesson. That is what I plan on doing should I run into this situation.