2035: Oregon banning sales of all new pure combustion vehicles

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Tesla owner says he had to cancel Christmas plans because car would not charge in freezing weather (msn.com)
Hello; I have nothing to add to the story above. May only be an issue with the one car for all I know. I did have an extreme cold issue at my home. A while back I put two LED light bulbs in the fixtures of my back porch lights. They are the standard socket screw in sort. They are dusk to dawn with motion sensors, so they only come on at night and also only when some motion sets them off.
The first night of extreme cold they worked fine. The second day and then night of extreme cold they started to flicker and then to not work at all. Temps were from around zero F to 4 degrees F.
Tonight at 14 degrees F they work fine again.
Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Hello; Of course it will matter. Oh, I get your meaning. You do not seem to think anything can be done so we may as well accept it. If history is any teacher some work around will happen. Maybe like when the corporate fuel economy averages started, and people went from sedans to pickups.
Yeah it is a real indictment of how our rules and regulations work that CAFE fuel economy standards caused WORSE fuel economy. But at least vehicles got way more expensive, right? That is progress.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
RUDE: Woman Unplugs Charging Cable From Tesla to Charge Her Own Car - Is This Going to Be a Thing? (msn.com)
Hello; I get this has nothing to do with the EV itself. One thing mentioned is some chargers lock the plug in place and others do not lock.
Seems there are at least two sorts of RUDE. One is pulling the plug and the other is not getting back to move the vehicle and letting it sit fully charged for a long time.

Oh! Wait. Wait. Maybe in the someday future among the other things we are promised will be fixed we can add that people will become "nice" and politely wait a turn.

I wonder if public chargers are being vandalized?

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Yeah it is a real indictment of how our rules and regulations work that CAFE fuel economy standards caused WORSE fuel economy. But at least vehicles got way more expensive, right? That is progress.
Hello; Yes. The pickups and large SUV's do get worse MPG's than the sedans. Another that hurts MPG is all the weight new cars must carry around from the mandated stuff required. Not only adds weight but also expense. Now with all the cameras, sensors and other mandated add ons a mild collision can total out a vehicle.
I had two cars which got over 40 MPG decades ago. A 1972 Porsche 914 and a 1985 Honda Civic HF. My guess is if those same cars were being built today the MPG would be much lower.

Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
The weight doesn’t have that much of an impact on fuel economy. Modern vehicles do make significantly more power then there predecessors. The two you referenced were very light cars but they also made pretty much no power. Thus the fuel economy being so good. If you compare the weight of a 69 mustang to a 2020 gt350 for example there pretty much in line. What we get to witness with all this is individuals demanding standards and making decisions on subjects they know zero about, and even worse in my opinion, is the utter complete lack of any common sense. The forced implementation of EV’s is going to have some parallels to prohibition.

Hello; Yes. The pickups and large SUV's do get worse MPG's than the sedans. Another that hurts MPG is all the weight new cars must carry around from the mandated stuff required. Not only adds weight but also expense. Now with all the cameras, sensors and other mandated add ons a mild collision can total out a vehicle.
I had two cars which got over 40 MPG decades ago. A 1972 Porsche 914 and a 1985 Honda Civic HF. My guess is if those same cars were being built today the MPG would be much lower.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
The weight doesn’t have that much of an impact on fuel economy. Modern vehicles do make significantly more power then there predecessors. The two you referenced were very light cars but they also made pretty much no power. Thus the fuel economy being so good. If you compare the weight of a 69 mustang to a 2020 gt350 for example there pretty much in line. What we get to witness with all this is individuals demanding standards and making decisions on subjects they know zero about, and even worse in my opinion, is the utter complete lack of any common sense. The forced implementation of EV’s is going to have some parallels to prohibition.
Hello; I must disagree about the weight not being a factor with MPG's. The over 40 mpg I achieved was during times when i drove more conservatively. I could reduce the MPG with aggressive driving. The way i understand it is at a steady speed only so much horsepower (HP) is used or needed. If 40 HP will push you along at 70 mph that is all you use.
I contend a heavier vehicle needs more power to maintain speed in particular on hills and when accelerating from a stop.
I had a neighbor who had the same pickup as mine. Same year, V8's and brand. He got worse MPG's than I did as he was hard on the gas. I drove his truck sometimes taking him to medical appointments and got better gas mileage.

So there are lots of factors which contribute to MPG's. I figure weight to be one of them. The two cars i mentioned had forms of fuel injection which helped a lot. But take two identical vehicles and put a couple hundred pounds extra in one then drive a few thousand miles and check.

With the massive improvements in fuel injection and tech such as direct injection modern cars ought to do much better. I have thought weight was one of the big factors but admit I may be mistaken.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Weight is everything in city driving as far as fuel economy goes. On the highway, less so, BUT a large vehicle has more drag from air resistance. Also, higher speed limits hurt fuel economy.

A 1969 Mach 1 with a 351 W 5.7 liter all iron engine weighed about 3,200 lbs. 500 lbs is a lot in my opinion.

But I agree that increased power will relate to worse fuel economy very directly. It takes energy to accelerate a vehicle.

I don't really care that much about fuel economy, but it really irritates me that a car with 500 hp gets penalized so much as a gas guzzler, but a huge pickup that will get about 15 mpg or even less on the highway has no gas guzzler tax on it.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
You referenced driving habits not weight as the bigger factor in your response. I completely agree. Weight obviously matters. But the mustang reference I used was more about generational differences in the produced vehicles. A few hundred pounds difference on a 3k lb car isn’t going to make a huge difference. My daily is 2020 F550 extra cab, 6.7 diesel, 10spd. It has a 12’ service bed on it and weighs about 12.5k/lbs. Big rack, ladders, lots of drag up top. I average 13/mpg. When I put 18-20k/lbs behind it I lose about 1-2mpg. The truck has a 4.88 gear and at 65-70 is under 2k/rpm. For the size of it its incredibly efficient for what it is. I think most on here are of the same mindset. We all understand vehicles, and the function of motors and the other factors that relate to efficiency. The …….. pushing the agenda’s lack all of that knowledge and experience, and what makes it even worse is they don’t attempt to actually educate themselves to make smart suggestions. But then again that’s not what any of it is about in the first place.

Hello; I must disagree about the weight not being a factor with MPG's. The over 40 mpg I achieved was during times when i drove more conservatively. I could reduce the MPG with aggressive driving. The way i understand it is at a steady speed only so much horsepower (HP) is used or needed. If 40 HP will push you along at 70 mph that is all you use.
I contend a heavier vehicle needs more power to maintain speed in particular on hills and when accelerating from a stop.
I had a neighbor who had the same pickup as mine. Same year, V8's and brand. He got worse MPG's than I did as he was hard on the gas. I drove his truck sometimes taking him to medical appointments and got better gas mileage.

So there are lots of factors which contribute to MPG's. I figure weight to be one of them. The two cars i mentioned had forms of fuel injection which helped a lot. But take two identical vehicles and put a couple hundred pounds extra in one then drive a few thousand miles and check.

With the massive improvements in fuel injection and tech such as direct injection modern cars ought to do much better. I have thought weight was one of the big factors but admit I may be mistaken.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
I find it funny and sad that in the '80s and early 90's you could buy a vehicle that get 50mpg or darn close to it.(vw rabbit or geo metro for 2)
But today because of all the safety crap, can't get 35mpg . Maybe the answer is take all the safety nanny garbage out, and make drivers fear a wreck, maybe they'll look at the road and not their phone. Emissions might be lower if the only data is PPM. but when you are burning millions more atoms to go the same miles, it is dirtier. but but but.

Sponsored

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
RUDE: Woman Unplugs Charging Cable From Tesla to Charge Her Own Car - Is This Going to Be a Thing? (msn.com)
Hello; I get this has nothing to do with the EV itself. One thing mentioned is some chargers lock the plug in place and others do not lock.
Seems there are at least two sorts of RUDE. One is pulling the plug and the other is not getting back to move the vehicle and letting it sit fully charged for a long time.

Oh! Wait. Wait. Maybe in the someday future among the other things we are promised will be fixed we can add that people will become "nice" and politely wait a turn.

I wonder if public chargers are being vandalized?

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Saw on TV where a pizza delivery outfit is showing virtue signaling about how they will be using EV's. That is fine unless somehow my tax dollars are part of the deal.
A perfect example of where an EV will work best....and agreed on the tax bit.

f00man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang M1 HP
Wild stuff. Tesla is already programming people, very subtlety. White/Grey/Black Teslas with little to no customization. “They” don’t want people showing or expressing freedom.

Why would a car manufacturer lock an ECU? Or charge for the use of heated seats, or a firmware downloads? It’s control. Money is just secondary.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Wild stuff. Tesla is already programming people, very subtlety. White/Grey/Black Teslas with little to no customization. “They” don’t want people showing or expressing freedom.

Why would a car manufacturer lock an ECU? Or charge for the use of heated seats, or a firmware downloads? It’s control. Money is just secondary.
They are a small startup company and don't have lots of money for different paint colors. Custom options cost a lot to develop as well. They also haven't changed the car styling very much. Does that fit into your narrative as well?

f00man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang M1 HP
They are a small startup company and don't have lots of money for different paint colors. Custom options cost a lot to develop as well. They also haven't changed the car styling very much. Does that fit into your narrative as well?
Small start-up company? 🤣 Is there a Tessla or Thesla our there making cars?

It's all by design, bud. The mundane and boring ownership experience of a Tesla. Let's not even get into the control of the vehicle that's always retained by Tesla, and not the actual buyer.
Sponsored