Quick Xineering downshift blip module install review

ralphy1798

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 CFTP, 2023 Bronco Raptor
Anyone have feedback on using this? I have used a few times now on track and find it's just ok. More reliable and consistent than the auto-blip but still not perfect by any means.

One issue is that I find that it tends to blip the throttle periodically even when the brake pedal is not engaged. Can be a bit alarming when engage the clutch to upshift and the throttle blips, especially if only going the through the paddock or pit area.

It would also be much improved if could more easily adjust the settings. As it stands, must plug into a laptop and fiddle with the software to adjust. The android app is no longer available so is not an option.

I located a on/off switch in the coin tray to the left of steering wheel, which works well. Just need to remember to switch on only when entering the track and off again as soon as entering pit lane.
I love mine. Ive used it at Thunderhill once, and Laguna Seca twice. This is not something you want while driving around town, or even in the hot pits / paddock - its amazing how many times you hit brakes and clutch in random combinations you dont realize and the car can lurch... would definitely cause me to rear end someone at some point off the track.

I find if I use deliberate smooth pedal pushes, it works great and gives me reliable / jerk free down shifts. I even use it to downshift twice (4 - 3 - 2) into turn 2 at Laguna. Deliberate clutch engagement and disengagement makes this seamless. I like the module a lot.
Sponsored

ZX3ST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, Kona Blue, J3116
One issue is that I find that it tends to blip the throttle periodically even when the brake pedal is not engaged. Can be a bit alarming when engage the clutch to upshift and the throttle blips, especially if only going the through the paddock or pit area.
Maybe check your brake pedal switch? I found that mine was adjusted too sensitive from the factory. It would show brake lights if you so much as looked at it sideways.

meterman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R KR785
Anyone have feedback on using this? I have used a few times now on track and find it's just ok. More reliable and consistent than the auto-blip but still not perfect by any means.

It would also be much improved if could more easily adjust the settings. As it stands, must plug into a laptop and fiddle with the software to adjust. The android app is no longer available so is not an option.

I located a on/off switch in the coin tray to the left of steering wheel, which works well. Just need to remember to switch on only when entering the track and off again as soon as entering pit lane.
Iā€™ve got 11 track days on my @Xineering blip an have never had it blip when I didnā€™t depress the brake and clutch at the same time. I would reach out to Max at @Xineering. I did not have to adjust it at all, out of the box it blipped perfectly for me.

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro
Are there not plugs available to match the brake pedal harness so that the unit would be completely plug in?

Sponsored

pbrmeasap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R & 2016 Charger SRT392
Have you contacted Xineering about this? They've been pretty responsive when I had questions.
Yes, reached out to Max and no reply to questions around the Android app. Fortunately, I have not had to adjust the default settings (which requires connection to a laptop). The main thing with the unit is it works fairly well when used during a normal track session. Imperative that it be turned off as soon as entering the paddock area and only turned on again when entering pit lane for track entrance. Too great of a risk for unintended acceleration anywhere but on a track session.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Yes, reached out to Max and no reply to questions around the Android app. Fortunately, I have not had to adjust the default settings (which requires connection to a laptop). The main thing with the unit is it works fairly well when used during a normal track session. Imperative that it be turned off as soon as entering the paddock area and only turned on again when entering pit lane for track entrance. Too great of a risk for unintended acceleration anywhere but on a track session.
I sent a note to Max linked to this post - he replied within a couple of hours that he hadn't seen your emails. There's been a rash of lost email traffic lately - I had two emails over four weeks to one of the major aftermarket parts companies just disappear. I finally resent from my gmail account and they responded immediately. It could be that some kind of email blacklist is blocking your emails - I'd suggest that you try again, or maybe just phone. Like I said before, they've been very responsive when I reached out.

meterman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R KR785
I have always heard back from Max or Ken @Xineering within hours, not days, when ever I have called them.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
I getting the vibe here that one can adjust for street and another adjustment for the track.
Donā€™t know if Iā€™ll ever track the car and Iā€™m pretty good at rev matching on the street. Mashing the brakes is something I just canā€™t practice on the street which means no heel/toe. My brakes are just too sensitive. You just look at ā€˜em wrong and they get emotional.

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I getting the vibe here that one can adjust for street and another adjustment for the track.
Donā€™t know if Iā€™ll ever track the car and Iā€™m pretty good at rev matching on the street. Mashing the brakes is something I just canā€™t practice on the street which means no heel/toe. My brakes are just too sensitive. You just look at ā€˜em wrong and they get emotional.
Is it possible to save settings for this? like you said, a street setting and a track setting?

OP
OP
drummerboy

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Indeed. You may or may not need to do that, though. Mine is currently set to 70% throttle at 0.200 or .250 sec duration, can't remember exactly. The factory setup of 50% throttle at 0.300 sec duration was too aggressive, and small fractions of a second make a big difference.

A sidenote on this is that I set it up perfectly at home on the street using the middle RPM range, and it was also perfect at the track in high RPM range... at first. By the end of the day it could have used a little bit more aggressive setting as letting out the clutch had to drag the engine up to speed a few hundred RPM, but I just let it go. The very next day it seemed to be close to spot on again at first but was soon apparent it could have used a little bigger stab again.

The thing to remember here is that the aftermarket blippers are not a smart rev match like what would come from the factory but rather a simple, dumb blip. So you can set it up to your preferred shifting speed but also modulate your shifting speed to the amount of blip you tuned. I believe the factory options aren't blipping the throttle as much as they're actually and honestly rev matching. From what I understand, when you select a gear, the factory option will put the engine at the correct RPM and hang out there til you release the clutch.

I had mine tuned to a nice medium-quick shift, not banging gears as fast as possible. By the end of the two track days I used it on, I was downshifting as fast as possible to avoid dragging the clutch/engine speed up and still it wasn't enough, and I really should have plugged in the laptop to ramp it up a tad. I'm thinking another 0.05 sec duration would have been about right.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
From what Andy told me of his install, the rev matching is too aggressive and not adjustable for street driving. I think you might be able to get away with using it on spirited drives through mountain roads where you are retaining a high rev range in 3rd/4th gear but not entirely sure. It would have been fantastic if Ford could have including the 2018+ GT auto rev matching feature on the shelby's as stock. I think you can practice heel/toe on spirited drives even with the sensitive brakes as you would not have to mash the brake pedal like you would on a track. This is my primary concern with doing any sort of track day driving is how I am going to perform and process down shifts at high speeds. I am a pretty efficient manual driver, but never having been on the track, I can say that my heel toe experience is zero...

OP
OP
drummerboy

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Is it possible to save settings for this? like you said, a street setting and a track setting?
No, there are no profiles. When you tune it, there are 3 settings, but I imagine you have no need for the last option. Mine are:

70% - throttle amount
200 ms - duration
0 ms - delay

That works 100% perfectly for the speed I want to shift but ended up being a bit lazy at the end of a full track day. Not sure why it would need a little more when everything is all heated up. 250 ms would have been about right.
Sponsored