18 Dodge Charger scat pack
I don’t know
Sponsored

cchvyd28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
As good as you think the Whipple tune is for drivability is, Lund will make it SO much better. Whipple does a lot of weird things to the shifts to "save the transmission". It was a night and day difference going from the canned tune to Lund.

Also if you are finding the pedal too sensitive, or that it acts weird under part throttle, pick up a .015 nitrous jet and put it into the bypass vacuum line. It made a world of difference on my car.

Scat2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
18 Dodge Charger scat pack
I’m going to get a Lund tune too.I heard there a new tuning device coming. Something like the N-gauge.John Lund sr tune my 03 cobra back in the day car still running great.

IMG_1274.jpeg

Last edited:

cchvyd28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
That is a big change...you sure about that size?
Yep. I thought it was really small too. But initially I tried a .050 jet and didn't notice a difference. I read somewhere I think the edelbrock kits came with the .015 jet in the kit. That's where I got the idea.

Sponsored

Brian82

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Hey I was just curious how many miles per gallon did you lose when you put the Whipple on? I was getting about 19-20 city driving but went down to about 13-14 when I put my stage 1 Whipple on my car. I don't really floor it much some spirited driving here and there. Mostly putter around town 85% of the time before and after the install. No codes or anything and car runs great I was just a little shocked that I would lose 6 mpg. Was expecting more like 2-3. But no big deal still totally worth it lol.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
Hey I was just curious how many miles per gallon did you lose when you put the Whipple on? I was getting about 19-20 city driving but went down to about 13-14 when I put my stage 1 Whipple on my car. I don't really floor it much some spirited driving here and there. Mostly putter around town 85% of the time before and after the install. No codes or anything and car runs great I was just a little shocked that I would lose 6 mpg. Was expecting more like 2-3. But no big deal still totally worth it lol.
When I get mine on and drive it during Spring, I will post my gas mileage. BTW> What are the .050 Jets you guys were talking about?

cchvyd28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
When I get mine on and drive it during Spring, I will post my gas mileage. BTW> What are the .050 Jets you guys were talking about?
Nitrous jet to put in the bypass vacuum line to make the transition from vacuum to boost not so violent. The .050 jet that I tried didn't make a difference though. But I notice a night and day difference with the .015 jet.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Don't think of it as a "big change." Think of it as, do you want the bypass to slam shut or do you want it to be a slower, smoother transition. In order to choke the vacuum reading from flipping so quickly from negative to neutral (and positive) you want to choke the flow down so that it takes longer to build up enough force one way or the other.

I actually installed a smooth boost because I'd read some people still weren't really satisfied with the nozzle approach. Now, my car's bypass is tethered to pedal position. Although I no longer need it, it also allows you to control the boost. The simple dial from zero to 100% allows you to pick how much bypass you want to run against the pedal profile. (for instance, at zero, no matter what pedal input you have, the bypass will remain full open. At 50%, at no pedal, it's full bypass, but at WOT, you'll be at 50% bypass. At 100%, at zero it's full bypass but at WOT it's 100% closed).

What this does is help to smooth out those part throttle conditions where drastic changes to the bypass condition are problematic to smooth and even torque production.

Dodge guys have been using them extensively for years (because of the lack of tuning options). Most of it can be smoothed out in the tune for mild builds. For wilder builds, with a massive throttle body and very small pulley, the rapid changes in bypass condition are just too much for the OE style tune to handle and it creates a very herky jerky setup. I could show you exchanges with whipple where they basically end with "race car life" as the conclusion.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
Don't think of it as a "big change." Think of it as, do you want the bypass to slam shut or do you want it to be a slower, smoother transition. In order to choke the vacuum reading from flipping so quickly from negative to neutral (and positive) you want to choke the flow down so that it takes longer to build up enough force one way or the other.

I actually installed a smooth boost because I'd read some people still weren't really satisfied with the nozzle approach. Now, my car's bypass is tethered to pedal position. Although I no longer need it, it also allows you to control the boost. The simple dial from zero to 100% allows you to pick how much bypass you want to run against the pedal profile. (for instance, at zero, no matter what pedal input you have, the bypass will remain full open. At 50%, at no pedal, it's full bypass, but at WOT, you'll be at 50% bypass. At 100%, at zero it's full bypass but at WOT it's 100% closed).

What this does is help to smooth out those part throttle conditions where drastic changes to the bypass condition are problematic to smooth and even torque production.

Dodge guys have been using them extensively for years (because of the lack of tuning options). Most of it can be smoothed out in the tune for mild builds. For wilder builds, with a massive throttle body and very small pulley, the rapid changes in bypass condition are just too much for the OE style tune to handle and it creates a very herky jerky setup. I could show you exchanges with whipple where they basically end with "race car life" as the conclusion.
So just how does the Smooth Boost add to the Whipple Stage 2 kit? In what way does it help make it better so to say?

Sponsored

Wickedluis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luis Salmon
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Gt PP1 Stage 2 whipple
I just added a boost and fuel pressure gauge , 2022 GT, stage 2 Whipple . My question is at what RPM should the boost kick in and does the boost increase with higher RPM? I know these have a boost bypass valve , but this gauge stays at zero unless I am over 3500 and even then it was very low boost . I could not get a good pull in due to traffic . Does the boost increase with higher rpms?
Glow shift gauge.jpg

Glow shift gauge.jpg

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Yes, the boost increases with rpm. That's how a supercharger works. More rpm equals more spins of the rotors which forces more air into a small space, thus building boost.

From Whipple:

There is a great deal of misinformation about the function of supercharger bypass systems. The supercharger is a positive-
displacement pump; that is, so long as it is rotating, it is always pumping air. During low demand or high vacuum operation

(i.e. idle, deceleration, and light throttle cruise), the pumping action is undesirable as it creates unwanted heat and noise.
The bypass circuit, when open, prevents any pressure buildup across the supercharger and allows air to circulate through
the rotors, allowing the supercharger to “idle” freely during these conditions. This results in reduced noise, and by reducing
heat buildup in the intake, significantly improves street and strip performance. As throttle demand increases, the bypass
circuit is closed, resulting in full performance and strip performance. As throttle demand increases, the bypass circuit is
closed, resulting in full performance from the supercharger. The bypass circuit is never used to limit or control boost during
full-throttle operation and defeating or altering the bypass function will not result in improved performance in any condition
and will result in poor drivability and possible supercharger damage.

cchvyd28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Yes, the boost increases with rpm. That's how a supercharger works. More rpm equals more spins of the rotors which forces more air into a small space, thus building boost.

From Whipple:

There is a great deal of misinformation about the function of supercharger bypass systems. The supercharger is a positive-
displacement pump; that is, so long as it is rotating, it is always pumping air. During low demand or high vacuum operation

(i.e. idle, deceleration, and light throttle cruise), the pumping action is undesirable as it creates unwanted heat and noise.
The bypass circuit, when open, prevents any pressure buildup across the supercharger and allows air to circulate through
the rotors, allowing the supercharger to “idle” freely during these conditions. This results in reduced noise, and by reducing
heat buildup in the intake, significantly improves street and strip performance. As throttle demand increases, the bypass
circuit is closed, resulting in full performance and strip performance. As throttle demand increases, the bypass circuit is
closed, resulting in full performance from the supercharger. The bypass circuit is never used to limit or control boost during
full-throttle operation and defeating or altering the bypass function will not result in improved performance in any condition
Except there are multiple people in this thread and many many more elsewhere who say restricting the vacuum to the bypass greatly improves drivability. As far as effecting performance, I don't see it, I still go into boost at about the same rpm and throttle position, it is just not as violent, but any manufacturer is going to advise against modifying their product.

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I guess, but I was at around 780whp on 93 and my drivability was stellar without any alteration of the bypass system what-so-ever. IMHO, if you have drivability issues due to boost, it's in the tuning, not the bypass function of the supercharger.

Last edited:

Wickedluis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luis Salmon
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Gt PP1 Stage 2 whipple

From Whipple:

I didn't have a chance to get a wot pull in to see how much boost it makes. The shop said it made 9 psi at 6500 rpm ,so I'm assuming it will be more at 7800.
Sponsored