K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
am looking at 6-speed manuals only.
You will be happier with the performance of the 17. The 22 needs a 4.09 gear to equal the 3.73 of the 17.
Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
What's funny Ford doesn't even consider an issue with oil consumption if it's one quart every 750 MI. I go through one quart of oil every 1500- 1,700 miles, I do a lot of short trips and a lot of rev matching, I know that has something to do with it. However the car runs great and I wouldn't let oil consumption worry you too much if it's within the limits of Ford mandates.

ssmith891

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500
2022, no question. Main reason oil consumption occurs is from improper break in. Youā€™ll know itā€™s done right if itā€™s new.

black22gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trigger
Vehicle(s)
2022 mustang gt
I also say new, if for no other reason than for proper breakin and the peace of mind that said break in and a new warranty can bring. I broke mine in using the motoman method (similar to hard break in) and it runs great, doesnt seem to use any oil as best as i can tell and im at 15k. I try to check before leaving the house prior to the oil change and immediately after i get it back from the dealer, right in the middle of the lane, before i even crank it up. I'm sure they love me there, lol.

I drive a ton of miles, so the benefit for it as far as warranty goes is even more compelling, at least to me. I also like the look of the 18s much better, so there's that. The price would have to be very competitive for the 17, and it doesn't sound like it is, or even would be at this particular point in time.

OP
OP

KKMC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, 2022 Mustang GT Manual 5.0
2022, no question. Main reason oil consumption occurs is from improper break in. Youā€™ll know itā€™s done right if itā€™s new.
In the past I have always been careful to follow manufacturer recommendations regarding break in procedure. For the gen 3 coyote I have read all kinds of hypotheses about how to properly break it in. Some say run it very hard right away. Some say follow the manual. Some say some combination of things. I tend to defer to the people who engineered it, but others have different opinions based on their specific (and valid) experience.

Sponsored

CrackedHorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Mustang GT/CS; 15 Mustang GT
I don't know if a gen 3 motor is worth $7k to me but I'm innthr minority.

I would probably buy used in your situation assuming the car passed a thorough pre-purchase inspection bc "certified" used cars mean jack squat and those 25k miles could have been 1/4 mile at a time.

Also, depends if you want the A10 I guess.

6 of one to me but no wrong choice. šŸ‘

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
Anything newer than 2020, you no longer have access (meaningful) to the ecu for tuning.

If the 17 is cherry, with 25k miles on it, and obviously the price is a lot less, its a no brainer.

I couldve bought a brand new 22 instead i stroked a check for a 16 that had more miles than what youre looking at, and feel no guilt modding it and having fun.

f00man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang M1 HP
Oil consumption is a thing? šŸ˜‚ Never heard of it.

I'd get the 22' without a doubt, unless the price difference is substantial. Never know how the 17' was treated by the previous owner(s). Most reviews will point out that the 18'+ offer a substantial update/upgrade over the 15'-17'. I can't vouch for this since I've never driven one, but that's the consensus at least.

OP
OP

KKMC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all the replies. Happy Holidays.

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
The 17 is only 6-7k less? That should be around 30k or less right now. The gold cert comes with a warranty, but for 6k, I'd go with the 22 too!
The 17 is still better looking and overall 15-17 seems to hold values exceptionally well when clean low Mileage.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I don't like the gear ratios on the 18 up M6, makes the car feel real heavy.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
2022..... new car, new car 3/36 Bumper to Bumper Warranty and 5/60 Powertrain and 5/60 Paint & Corrosion Warranty.

"Certified Gold" means nothing - it's a tag line to peddle used vehicles - just fancy words to make everyone feel warm and fuzzy... Fact of the matter is, anything can be "certified" with some dude walking around the car with a checklist going "yep"....

2017 is beat on all Factory warranty aspects. Extended Warranty? Sure, you can get an extended but there always catches such as fine print (that's never read by anyone of what is NOT covered) and there always deductibles...

It's your money, your choice - but 2022 is the smarter choice.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
Wouldn't touch a used GT, advise you going for new.
YUP. most that know they will dump it with low miles, ride them hard and put them away wet.. in other words, beat the living piss out of them.
I'd need the 2017 to be as I would have ordered it, and at a lot lower price point, and 7k difference isn't low enough for a 6-7 year old car. I got almost that off the msrp of mine new.
The dealer has a fish circling the hook.

OP
OP

KKMC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022..... new car, new car 3/36 Bumper to Bumper Warranty and 5/60 Powertrain and 5/60 Paint & Corrosion Warranty.

"Certified Gold" means nothing - it's a tag line to peddle used vehicles - just fancy words to make everyone feel warm and fuzzy... Fact of the matter is, anything can be "certified" with some dude walking around the car with a checklist going "yep"....

2017 is beat on all Factory warranty aspects. Extended Warranty? Sure, you can get an extended but there always catches such as fine print (that's never read by anyone of what is NOT covered) and there always deductibles...

It's your money, your choice - but 2022 is the smarter choice.
This is interesting because the certified warranty is indicated to be as follows (there are other "perks," but this is the meat of it.

* Limited Warranty: 12 Month/12,000 Mile (whichever comes first) after new car warranty expires or from certified purchase date
* Powertrain Limited Warranty: 84 Month/100,000 Mile (whichever comes first) from original in-service date
Sponsored