Mach10.4

Mach10.4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christopher
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1
So I’m hearing this ticking noise near the engine or coming from the engine. Is this normal? Only have 3,000 miles on it.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Ticking is normal on any version of the 5.0 from 2011+ its never been connected to any actual issue and Ford just says its a characteristic of the engine. If you move to a -w30 or 40 weight oil that sometimes will make it quieter, but the biggest issue with it is if it annoys you personally or not.

My car it comes and goes depending on the day/moon/time. Sometimes it has a slight tick, others it doesn't. My buddies car has had it for 120K. Tracks it often and its never had an issue.

OutWest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Old Person Special Mach 1
That sounds like the typewriter tick. Did you change the engine oil and if so, what new oil did you use? From what I gather it is normal and maybe annoying to some owners

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Premium. 6MT, Blue, upgraded wheels
That sounds like the typewriter tick. Did you change the engine oil and if so, what new oil did you use? From what I gather it is normal and maybe annoying to some owners
Agreed, a lot of people have had success using Liqui Moly Ceratec to quiet the engine down. This additive will change the color of your oil to a milky milky tan, and it might freak you out on your next oil change, do not be worried. If this noise is bothersome to you I would try Ceratec.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mach10.4

Mach10.4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christopher
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1
Ticking is normal on any version of the 5.0 from 2011+ its never been connected to any actual issue and Ford just says its a characteristic of the engine. If you move to a -w30 or 40 weight oil that sometimes will make it quieter, but the biggest issue with it is if it annoys you personally or not.

My car it comes and goes depending on the day/moon/time. Sometimes it has a slight tick, others it doesn't. My buddies car has had it for 120K. Tracks it often and its never had an issue.
Awesome thanks for sharing you and your friends experience. I was thinking it’s not affecting anything when I daily drive but wanted to here if some others were having the same issue.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Since I just recently changed my oil, I'm curious if mine makes any noise while idle. I haven't really paid attention since my exhaust is loud AF when I'm driving.

OP
OP
Mach10.4

Mach10.4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christopher
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1
I have not changed the oil yet but plan on doing so in the week or two

Sponsored
OP
OP
Mach10.4

Mach10.4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christopher
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1
Agreed, a lot of people have had success using Liqui Moly Ceratec to quiet the engine down. This additive will change the color of your oil to a milky milky tan, and it might freak you out on your next oil change, do not be worried. If this noise is bothersome to you I would try Ceratec.
Thank you!

OutWest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Old Person Special Mach 1
I have not changed the oil yet but plan on doing so in the week or two
Interesting bc there has been reports that the tick did not start before the first oil change, implying that Ford factory has a different oil than the oil used at dealerships

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Interesting bc there has been reports that the tick did not start before the first oil change, implying that Ford factory has a different oil than the oil used at dealerships
I've also heard that the boron content in Pennzoil Ultra Platinum helps with the tick sound but I'm about to confirm that here shortly.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
So I drove home from work and let it idle in the garage. No ticks, no rattles, sounds perfectly normal to me. If something changes, I'll report back but the car loves this oil from the sounds of it.

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Old thread, but this is another example of normal DI tick. This is not the intermittent typewriter or BBQ tick people often complain about.
Sponsored