Sponsored

2022 MACH 1 MY KEY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Mustang
Hello Everyone,

The last mustang I had was a 2004 mach 1 which did not have my key. Unfortunately the dealer that sold me the car did not inform me about the my key features and I just found out I do not have access to the track apps due to having only the 1 key and it not being the admin key. Before I go and spend a couple hundred dollars on a new admin key, is there any possible way to disable the my key features without an admin key?
Sponsored

Rael

Grateful Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Both keys are the same (so far as I know,) so no admin key.

OP
OP
ThunderHorse561
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Mustang
Both keys are the same (so far as I know,) so no admin key.
from what I have researched, it looks like every mustang is issued two keys when new. Both keys are admin keys at that time. You can select one key to become a my key in order to select certain restrictions on the vehicle when using that key. For example, you can restrict maximum speed and access to track apps. The only way to disable the my key is to have the admin key present. Or just use the admin key when driving. My car was sold with only one key and I was not aware of the my key features at that time. Surprisingly, I purchased my car from a Ford dealership and they didn't mention it either. Probably because they didn't want to pay to replace it as the admin keys are a couple hundred bucks. I was just wondering if there was any other way to disable the my key feature without having to purchase a new admin key. it looks as though that is the route I'm going to have to go in order to have access to the track apps.

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Premium. 6MT, Blue, upgraded wheels
from what I have researched, it looks like every mustang is issued two keys when new. Both keys are admin keys at that time. You can select one key to become a my key in order to select certain restrictions on the vehicle when using that key. For example, you can restrict maximum speed and access to track apps. The only way to disable the my key is to have the admin key present. Or just use the admin key when driving. My car was sold with only one key and I was not aware of the my key features at that time. Surprisingly, I purchased my car from a Ford dealership and they didn't mention it either. Probably because they didn't want to pay to replace it as the admin keys are a couple hundred bucks. I was just wondering if there was any other way to disable the my key feature without having to purchase a new admin key. it looks as though that is the route I'm going to have to go in order to have access to the track apps.
This is my understanding of how my keys work as well.

Its likely the sales people didn't know about that specific key feature when selling you the car. Or you are right and they didn't want to have to provide the key to you.

If I had to guess, the Ford dealer has ability to unassign the my key assignments if you have both the car and the key there at the same time. Id be surprised if there is no capability to default back a key to admin status, or to remove my key assignments linked to the car.

Or for that matter, designate your current key as admin.

Can always ask service department at the dealer you bought it from, if they won't help I'd be bring this to the attention of the sales manager, a reasonable one would make it right. Certainly not something you should have to pay for.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ThunderHorse561
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Mustang
This is my understanding of how my keys work as well.

Its likely the sales people didn't know about that specific key feature when selling you the car. Or you are right and they didn't want to have to provide the key to you.

If I had to guess, the Ford dealer has ability to unassign the my key assignments if you have both the car and the key there at the same time. Id be surprised if there is no capability to default back a key to admin status, or to remove my key assignments linked to the car.

Or for that matter, designate your current key as admin.

Can always ask service department t the dealer you bought it from, if they won't help I'd be bring this to the attention of the sales manager, a reasonable one would make it right. Certainly not something you should have to pay for.
Unfortunately I purchased my vehicle 3 hours away from where I live. I spoke to the sales rep who sold me the car this morning and they were not aware of how the keys work. I asked if they could mail me an admin key and they said that I would have to be present for the key to be programmed. I reached out to my local Ford Dealership and they quoted me $278.00 to purchase and program a new admin key. I did speak with my sales rep from the dealership where I purchased the car and asked if they could reimburse me for the cost and they said yes. So problem will be solved soon.

Sponsored

Usernamedave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
i think if you pull up the rubber mats at the bottom of the cup holder there is a square slot to put the fob into, i think you can turn that MY KEY back into a normal key using that slot and the menu options in the my key app in the dash.

OP
OP
ThunderHorse561
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Mustang
i think if you pull up the rubber mats at the bottom of the cup holder there is a square slot to put the fob into, i think you can turn that MY KEY back into a normal key using that slot and the menu options in the my key app in the dash.
Has anyone tried this before?

OP
OP
ThunderHorse561
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Mustang
I made a My key then decided to change it back to a regular key as i live alone, but i don't remember the exact process
You most likely had both keys at the time in order to change it back. I just tried what was mentioned above about placing my key in the slot inside of the cup holder and I got the same options as before. I only can view key status. No option to change back to admin.

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
if you only have the one key to hand how many keys does the car have registered? If not one then you have a key floating about out there that can be used on your car to drive it away.
I'd suggest getting the dealer you bought the car from to not only supply another key but to clear all keys from the car and then set both the current and newly supplied key to the car - as per the manual. I had to have this done on my own 17GT though it took two dealers to actually do it right. This process will give you two admin keys and only those keys will be registered to your vehicle.
Sponsored