Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
My entire point is that it's SAD when the "most American cars' can have HUGE amounts of it still from outside of the US. But Canada is American enough to count and be okay, but Mexico historically has been a big no-no and pisses people off even though they are ALSO part of North America? it's hypocritical.

You can't say it's totally cool for Cana da just because "they have done it longer" and are part of North America because that means that your ONLY problem with Mexico is that its newer.
I have absolutely have no issue with Mexico. When I worked for Panasonic I visited our TV & telephone factories in Tijuana on a regular basis. I also visited our refurbishing factory in Reynosa. They did excellent work and were fantastic workers. Interesting enough the telephone factory used human labor to assemble the phones as was cheaper than importing and running the machinery from Japan.
Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I have absolutely have no issue with Mexico. When I worked for Panasonic I visited our TV & telephone factories in Tijuana on a regular basis. I also visited our refurbishing factory in Reynosa. They did excellent work and were fantastic workers. Interesting enough the telephone factory used human labor to assemble the phones as was cheaper than importing and running the machinery from Japan.
Then I apologize for misinterpreting what you were saying.

Smunczen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt pp2
What really sad that Ford used to make the majority of the parts in their products. Now today most are from suppliers.

Sponsored

IMadeYouReadThis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT manual
My entire point is that it's SAD when the "most American cars' can have HUGE amounts of it still from outside of the US. But Canada is American enough to count and be okay, but Mexico historically has been a big no-no and pisses people off even though they are ALSO part of North America? it's hypocritical.

You can't say it's totally cool for Cana da just because "they have done it longer" and are part of North America because that means that your ONLY problem with Mexico is that its newer. I mean Fords pumped cars out of Mexico for over 25 years at this point, when is it suddenly "Canada levels of okay"?

It's easy to see that you're an biased individual. Canada has literally been part of the automotive industry since it's birth.

Fun fact when general motors company started they partnered with McLaughlin Notor company in Canada which started producing the McLaughlin Buick. McLaughlin company ended up merging with GM in the States 50% ownership Canadian 50% American and started general motors of Canada.

The first vice president of general motors was McLaughlin a Canadian.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/McLaughlin_Motor_Car_Company

A lot of those jobs in Mexico came from lost jobs in Canada we used to have a much bigger share of the automotive industry when it was just us and the Americans making all of the cars for Canada and America.

A lot of jobs that went to Mexico also came from America.

Another fun fact during the big bankruptcy of 2009 Canada kicked in its fair share of money for the bailout of General Motors and Chrysler.

Mexico didn't kick in anything. Not a single dime

Then there's the living wage you get when you work for the auto industry in Canada or United States that you don't get in Mexico.

And as a topper if you like the air you breathe there's also the environmental laws that we follow in United States and Canada.

You've obviously got a problem with Canadians and you're biased to realize how deep the partnership is between Canada and the Detroit big three.

PS I know you tried to turn this into a race thing but there's a lot more than just white people living in Canada. Were quite a multicultural country.

Google is your friend.

IMadeYouReadThis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT manual
"McLaughlin Motor Car Company" was founded in 1907. Samuel McLaughlin and William C. Durant, respectively the biggest carriage builders in Canada and the United States, contracted for Durant's Buick to supply McLaughlin with power trains for 15 years. McLaughlin fitted the power trains to running gear, bodies and chassis built by McLaughlin in Canada. The cars were branded McLaughlin until the end of the contract. McLaughlin-Buick was the brand between 1923 and 1942.

In 1908 Durant and McLaughlin started General Motors Holding Company after Durant exchanged $500,000 of Buick stock for $500,000 of McLaughlin Motor Co. stock. McLaughlin also exchanged his Buick stock for General Motors stock, and in 1910 was invited to be on the board of General Motors in Detroit.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_Canada

IMadeYouReadThis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT manual

IMadeYouReadThis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT manual
At time when the U.S. and Canada are pouring tens of billions of dollars into General Motors Corp. to give the bankrupt automaker a new lease on life, why is Mexico flying under the radar?

Last month, when Washington and Ottawa pledged to invest $60 billion in Detroit's biggest car company, Mexico — a partner in NAFTA and an integrated North American auto industry — was conspicuous by its absence at the negotiating table.

(See the best cars from the 2009 Detroit Auto Show.)

That's more than a little surprising when you consider that Mexico has overtaken Canada in production of GM vehicles, making such popular name plates as the Chevy Silverado and Suburban. Last year GM made a total of 504,858 vehicles at four assembly plants in Mexico; that's 9% higher than the 463,869 cars and light trucks produced by GM Canada.

http://content.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1908205,00.html

Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
It's easy to see that you're an biased individual. Canada has literally been part of the automotive industry since it's birth.

Fun fact when general motors company started they partnered with McLaughlin Notor company in Canada which started producing the McLaughlin Buick. McLaughlin company ended up merging with GM in the States 50% ownership Canadian 50% American and started general motors of Canada.

The first vice president of general motors was McLaughlin a Canadian.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/McLaughlin_Motor_Car_Company

A lot of those jobs in Mexico came from lost jobs in Canada we used to have a much bigger share of the automotive industry when it was just us and the Americans making all of the cars for Canada and America.

A lot of jobs that went to Mexico also came from America.

Another fun fact during the big bankruptcy of 2009 Canada kicked in its fair share of money for the bailout of General Motors and Chrysler.

Mexico didn't kick in anything. Not a single dime

Then there's the living wage you get when you work for the auto industry in Canada or United States that you don't get in Mexico.

And as a topper if you like the air you breathe there's also the environmental laws that we follow in United States and Canada.

You've obviously got a problem with Canadians and you're biased to realize how deep the partnership is between Canada and the Detroit big three.

PS I know you tried to turn this into a race thing but there's a lot more than just white people living in Canada. Were quite a multicultural country.

Google is your friend.
Hold on let me put on my double seeing glasses so I can try to see the BULLSHIT that you're trying to talk about.

You clearly have a MASSIVE reading comprehension issue. I suggest you re-read what I've said.. many times... I'll wait for you to figure out where your 1000% wrong in your understanding. You're a smart boy I'm sure you'll figure it out eventually.

If Canada counts in "American made" then so does Mexico. Ya know...my whole fucking point. You can't be hypocritical and say "well Canada counts, but Mexico doesnt" when they are BOTH part of North America. You can either COUNT THEM BOTH, or DONT COUNT EITHER.

And no. I'm not clicking a single one of those links because they have 0 application to the conversation or my point

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
CJ, There is virtually nothing automotive made 100% in the US anymore. And so what? Where is your TV made? Your cellphone? Any number of thousands of products. We live in a global economy and global manufacturing world.

By the way, the article did say:
Oh I completely agree that there's nothing 100% automotive made in the US anymore.

My comment was more geared toward the fact that the article title and content of it is misleading. The parts used to assemble the vehicles are not all made here in the US as we very well know ... so although the manufacturing plant, assembly line and folks putting these cars together are on US soil - the content used is not and hasn't been 100% made in America for quite some time.

I''m not seeing how "parts content" can be a category used for making the list for determining the criteria for which the article is implying. We know most of the parts content is farmed out to overseas Corps and manufacturing facilities. This doesn't only apply to vehicles, it's for nearly anything as you stated in your reply.

It's a poorly written article with a horrible title for a subject line IMO...

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Kinda sad when the tranny is China, engine is assembled in Canada, many electronics are from Canada and overseas...
As a Canadian I don't find it sad at all, since pretty much the very beginning Canada has been deeply entwined with American auto manufacturing. I'm not gonna roast you like the other guy, but it's hard not to be proud that such an awesome engine is being built in my hometown.

Last edited: