2021 - Locking Center Console

Pronichkin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Artem
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Conv (totaled by a puma); 2021 GT Conv PP1
I tried it myself the other day. Sat inside and locked the car using my key fob. Then I tried to open the console, and it was locked. Unlocked the car from the fob, and was able to open the console.

Now I only wish they did the same for glove box instead of that archaic physical key lock.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Sounds like there may have been a mix up on the assembly line and a standard coupe console was installed into the convertible instead of the locking unit.

Aside from a wiring harness issue, a fuse or possible "As Built" module not being turned on, there's really no other explanation.

There's not a setting in the main dash menu where maybe there is a feature disabled in the menu options? I don't have a vert, so just asking since my 2018 coupe doesn't have the locking console to begin with...

OP
OP

KeyLime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lenny
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT/CS Convertible
Just got back from the dealership. The diagnostic procedure passed to them from Ford Engineering identified the problem with the lock. They will have to replace the console.

OP
OP

KeyLime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lenny
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT/CS Convertible
In case anyone still cares, the problem was fixed by the dealership today. When the opened the console up they found the wiring came damaged from the factory. They didn't need to replace the console assembly, just replace the wiring.

Expat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Vehicle(s)
2020 Convertible Mustang GT Premium
Glad it got fixed! I had passenger door wiring harness replaced. Coincidence or evidence of install problems?

Sponsored

Paris MkVI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium convertible, 2015 Escape 2.0 Titanium
Vehicle Showcase
Probably a recent model addition. It does not lock on my 2015; just the glove box using the fob key.

Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 CPO EB Prem Conv w/ 201A
Agreed. My 18 Prem (401 or whatever) has a key locking glovebox and no locking center console. I assume we're chatting about the console your elbow rests on?

gpierce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Agreed. My 18 Prem (401 or whatever) has a key locking glovebox and no locking center console. I assume we're chatting about the console your elbow rests on?
Yes that’s what we’re talking about. I think your car does have it as all 18 plus verts do (not sure about earlier). Sit inside your car and lock it with your fob. If its not locking its broken.

OP
OP

KeyLime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lenny
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT/CS Convertible
Yes that’s what we’re talking about. I think your car does have it as all 18 plus verts do (not sure about earlier). Sit inside your car and lock it with your fob. If its not locking its broken.
I checked the order guides. It looks like the Enhanced Security Package, with the locking center console, became standard equipment on the convertibles starting with the 2016 model year. In 2015 it was an option for the convertible.

Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 CPO EB Prem Conv w/ 201A
I checked the order guides. It looks like the Enhanced Security Package, with the locking center console, became standard equipment on the convertibles starting with the 2016 model year. In 2015 it was an option for the convertible.
Maybe it does, never noticed those wires before lol - PS what is this clip for?

20210504_082517.jpg

Sponsored

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
I have a 2021 convertible that, as far as I can tell, does not have a locking center console. I was under the impression that all convertibles came with that feature. Are there any other 2021 owners out there who can comment? Or am I missing something about how it operates?
Put the car in Valet and try opening the console.

OP
OP

KeyLime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lenny
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT/CS Convertible
Maybe it does, never noticed those wires before lol - PS what is this clip for?
I stared at that clip in the center of the lid for a long time. Not a clue what it does. And at some point I came to the conclusion that I'm better off never knowing what it's for.