2021 - Locking Center Console

KeyLime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lenny
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT/CS Convertible
I have a 2021 convertible that, as far as I can tell, does not have a locking center console. I was under the impression that all convertibles came with that feature. Are there any other 2021 owners out there who can comment? Or am I missing something about how it operates?
Sponsored

OP
OP

KeyLime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lenny
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT/CS Convertible
My 20 locks when you lock the doors.
Next chance I get I'll take a photo. My car has a plastic lever to unlatch the lid, but nothing else. No other mechanism or secondary latch that I can see. I've tried locking the doors and I can reach in and it pops open as usual when I push the lever. Of course I'm doing that without the key fob in my pocket.

It's annoying. Neither the glove box or the console lock. I can just picture a traffic stop. "Registration and proof of insurance, please." "No problem officer, I'll just get out and rummage around in the trunk for that, no worries."

gpierce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
My glove box has a key hole that I can lock it with

Expat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Vehicle(s)
2020 Convertible Mustang GT Premium
My 2020 premium comes standard with locking armrest. I read somewhere when I was searching for options and specs that the locking armrest door was included in the option list. Without disassemble the lid, nothing is visible. When sitting in the car there is an audible locking sound inside the armrest Lid when I activate the locks. The light is also an optional accessory.
3400B466-F711-4F2F-9C35-F19D6740EC2A.jpeg

Sponsored

Expat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Vehicle(s)
Just checked out the official website, locking glovebox is part of the comfort and convenience pack.
CBEDEC6A-B2D2-47C3-9DFD-D571E5986221.jpeg

OP
OP

KeyLime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lenny
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT/CS Convertible
Just checked out the official website, locking glovebox is part of the comfort and convenience pack.
It should be standard on the convertible as per the order guide. Looks like this may be something for the dealer to look at while addressing some other minor defects.

Order Guide.png

Expat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Vehicle(s)
It should be standard on the convertible as per the order guide. Looks like this may be something for the dealer to look at while addressing some other minor defects.

Order Guide.png
Wish you luck. Let us know how it works out!

Expat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Vehicle(s)

Order Guide.png
That looks like 43S is optional on the 400A and 401A packages. What did the dealer say?

Sponsored
OP
OP

KeyLime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lenny
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT/CS Convertible
That looks like 43S is optional on the 400A and 401A packages. What did the dealer say?
Yes, optional for the hard top but standard on all convertibles.

Haven't been to the dealer yet. This and the other problems are nuisance issues and can wait a few weeks. I'll report back when it's sorted out.

sdsteele2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2021 Explorer XLT
Unlike the glove box, there is not a key hole type lock on the locking center console.

If you lock the doors with the key fob the lid should not open. You should also notice a “click” coming from that area when you lock with the fob. It’s not a very secure storage location.

OP
OP

KeyLime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lenny
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT/CS Convertible
Unlike the glove box, there is not a key hole type lock on the locking center console.

If you lock the doors with the key fob the lid should not open. You should also notice a “click” coming from that area when you lock with the fob. It’s not a very secure storage location.
Correct, and none of that happens when I lock the car. No click, no locking of the lid. I can reach in and open to center console. And if I reach in an open window with the top up the motion sensor alarms but the console lid is still not locked. In my simple thinking there's a disconnected wire harness or some such problem.

I realize a locking console and glove box are mixed blessings. Years ago I had a friend with a soft top Jeep. Canvas top and doors, zero security. Some low life decided to take a pry bar to his glove box and rip it open. Lots of damage to the right side of the instrument panel. Interesting thing is the Jeep's glove box didn't have a lock of any kind. Just a simple push button to open it. My buddy had a damaged Jeep and for all his effort the turd ended up with only a bottle of touch up paint.

Millarduck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT; 2016 Jeep GC Limited; 2014 Honda Accord Touring; former 1966 Mustang Coupe- Sprint Edition
I stuff my radar detector in there when I leave the top down and parked in an open area. Idea of the console lock in the "vert" is to keep valuables safe with the top down it's part of the enhanced security package which is standard on the convertibles. In the enhanced package, there are sensors if some one were to cut the roof and enter the car that way. These sensors are inactive if the top is open, but the armrest is locked when the car is locked top up or down.

OP
OP

KeyLime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lenny
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT/CS Convertible
I stuff my radar detector in there when I leave the top down and parked in an open area. I.
I’m at the dealer while typing this. They thought I was making it up. There’s nothing in their service manuals. Not even a procedure to disassemble the console. After doing some homework they agree it should lock. They will have to get guidance from Ford engineering.

Pretty odd.
Sponsored