2021+ GT500R (KR) ?

shelbykr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 2009 Shelby GT500KR 2008 Shelby GT-C
This is Post title---->You supply the vehicle of either base or TP.

Is the hood a GT4?
Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
This is Post title---->You supply the vehicle of either base or TP.
Is the hood a GT4?
They've all been post title since the '09 KR.

That is not the GT4 hood that is manufactured by Multimatic.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
The CFTP GT500 is a GT500R

They should of just called it that.
It’s not the R or KR, regardless of what one magazine tried really hard to push. If it was, they would DEFINITELY have called it that.

It’s not.

so they didn’t.

they were dropping some hints not long ago about a higher end gt500 with a historic designation. That would be the KR. BEEN QUIET SINCE THE LOCKDOWNS HOWEVER.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
It’s not the R or KR, regardless of what one magazine tried really hard to push. If it was, they would DEFINITELY have called it that.

It’s not.

so they didn’t.

they were dropping some hints not long ago about a higher end gt500 with a historic designation. That would be the KR. BEEN QUIET SINCE THE LOCKDOWNS HOWEVER.
So tell me all about the characteristics of the GT350R compared to the GT350. Do the same for the GT500CFTP vs the base..
I am afraid you are incorrect.

Sponsored

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red

It’s not.

so they didn’t.

Who was dropping hints?

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There's a source that I trust that is pretty much at ground zero that knows everybody in the game at Ford that hinted at what was going on during development. He mentioned Ford was either working on or had planned for an even higher performing GT500 but said that effort was ultimately shelved. However, this was well before the Wutang outbreak.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
There's a source that I trust that is pretty much at ground zero that knows everybody in the game at Ford that hinted at what was going on during development. He mentioned Ford was either working on or had planned for an even higher performing GT500 but said that effort was ultimately shelved. However, this was well before the Wutang outbreak.
Is this another one of your jokes?

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No.

I think this was back when Jamal and Raj exited and the direction of the car changed when Widman took the helm.

Sponsored

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
Technically speaking, reflashing the VDM with a non-stock calibration (which it would be, as the Base cars do not come with a CFTP calibration), the warranty which applies to related components that suffered a failure would already not be covered under Ford's terms. The dampers on the CFTP cars are different than on the Base cars and are calibration specific. Furthermore, Ford has built-in somewhat of a firewall in that the VDM and VIN are linked such that you can't simply reflash with a calibration that was not intended for a given VIN.

And even if they used the CFTP springs (which again, are tuned to match the CFTP dampers and CFTP wheels), it does not appear as though they are changing the dampers to the CFTP specific units.

Note carefully some of the fine print wording that Shelby uses. This is with respect to the powertrain as they have to be careful regarding EPA and CARB mandates but not with respect to suspension changes...
Shelby tends to stay in lock-step with Ford Parts. The ‘08-‘09 KR’s were all Ford Performance Parts except the custom hood & splitter. Even the CAI & Tune were Ford Parts.
I would guess they will use calibrations developed with Ford as a baseline just cause that’s what they do...

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
No.

I think this was back when Jamal and Raj exited and the direction of the car changed when Widman took the helm.
That was a long long time ago.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Chairman said:
The ‘08-‘09 KR’s were all Ford Performance Parts except the custom hood & splitter
I had an '09 and went through the process of adding most of the KR hardware, aside from the hood, including the CAI/tune, springs/shocks/struts, shifter, aero, blah, blah. The "H" section that was clamped into place once the "X" section was removed was not from FRPP (I still have an extra in the box somewhere). The rear spoiler was a production S197 V6 spoiler, etc. Been some time now but IIRC, the ABS calibration was unique as well and never available to the public. The rear axle cover was a ground down Exploder cover. I discovered this while looking closely at one (not all KR's got them) and made/sold a few myself.

That was a long long time ago.
Raj left Ford in 2018. If that's a "long, long time ago" then holy shit - I'm prehistoric.

https://jalopnik.com/what-happened-with-raj-nairs-departure-from-ford-1823355880

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
I had an '09 and went through the process of adding most of the KR hardware, aside from the hood, including the CAI/tune, springs/shocks/struts, shifter, aero, blah, blah. The "H" section that was clamped into place once the "X" section was removed was not from FRPP (I still have an extra in the box somewhere). The rear spoiler was a production S197 V6 spoiler, etc. Been some time now but IIRC, the ABS calibration was unique as well and never available to the public. The rear axle cover was a ground down Exploder cover. I discovered this while looking closely at one (not all KR's got them) and made/sold a few myself.
Forgot about that H-pipe — Gives it a unique sound. And yes, there is a sticker stating the ABS calibration was changed. But no further details. The brakes themselves are standard GT500.
The diff cover and diff overflow can were unique items too. They used to sell the diff cover separately for a while. I know several guys who wanted the diff overflow can as the stock GT500 tended to blow diff fluid all over the rear end on track.
The ‘09 also had a unique one year “Brilliant Silver” color. In our local club, another guy had an ‘08 in silver, and when we parked them side-by-side, there was a noticeable difference in metallic mixture.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The "diff overflow can" was the worst aftermarket piece I have ever seen. I bought one and couldn't believe my eyes. The worst "welds" I have ever witnessed and it was full of grit and dust from grinding. A friend from Canada bought one and had it shipped to my house. He unboxed it in front of me. Immediately upon raising it from the box, it rattled. There were two sizeable metal scraps left inside (being a welded assembly, you couldn't get them out). We laughed, literally, and sent it back.
Sponsored