The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
Would be nice if they release these parts for sale:
- High volume/flow supercharger intercooler
- High volume/flow supercharger heat exchanger
Did a mod like this on my ‘09 GT500KR to keep it cool.

Although in stock form, probably not required on a New GT500. At COTA the other week, it was about 100 degrees ambient and the car temps all stayed exactly normal. I was most impressed. Even the oil temp stayed about 250. My GT350 crept toward 285 on track days.

Wonder what this does and if might be available separately as well:
- Suspension recalibration
May be using the CFTP calibration.
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

Although in stock form, probably not required on a New GT500. At COTA the other week, it was about 100 degrees ambient and the car temps all stayed exactly normal. I was most impressed. Even the oil temp stayed about 250. My GT350 crept toward 285 on track days.

Some of those items are definitely worth it. I don't think I'd want to plop $30K down to do it though. The CFTP will have to be good enough.

gfcobra04

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2000 Cobra R, 94 Lightning, 2020 GT500

What were the air inlet temperatures no the
500?

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What were the air inlet temperatures no the
500?
I only looked at IAT once or twice and it was reading just a few degrees above ambient. So the stock cold air box is working fine.

gfcobra04

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2000 Cobra R, 94 Lightning, 2020 GT500
I only looked at IAT once or twice and it was reading just a few degrees above ambient. So the stock cold air box is working fine.
I apologize, I meant manifold charge temperature?
I heard at 150* MCT the computer starts backing out timing.

Sponsored

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I apologize, I meant manifold charge temperature?
I heard at 150* MCT the computer starts backing out timing.
Sorry, I did not know that was a selectable reading. I had to go look to see that it was, and have changed my defaults to include that reading (axle, trans & MCT now)
However, the car did pull hard all day long. So I must presume it was not pulling timing.

I have a lot of thoughts from this first track event. Maybe we should start a thread of GT500 Track Event lessons.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
it was definitley pulling timing.

and Whipple offers the upgraded intercooler, fittings and pump already

oddly, if you retain warrany with KR, this is the first time in history i think something OEM is actually worth it. These cars are making 1100rwhp with $6500 in aftermarket modifications. a DCT tune revision that lets you use all of that, with warranty, is/would be incredible.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

oddly, if you retain warrany with KR, this is the first time in history i think something OEM is actually worth it. These cars are making 1100rwhp with $6500 in aftermarket modifications. a DCT tune revision that lets you use all of that, with warranty, is/would be incredible.
Steve,

Anytime shelby does something like this, it has a full warranty. The only problem with the warranty is that it is a shelby American warranty. The click bait kid from youtube had an issue with his and had to ship it to Las Vegas to get it fixed.

There are people who have to max and trick everything out. For what I'm goimg to do, it is not worth 30k and having to transport it to Vegas if there is a problem. Besides, a lot of work went into the CFTP to make it what it is. Other than some lightening mods, I don't think I'd mess with it. Doing so carries way too much baggage. I can see in your world wanting to do that, but a road course car wouldn't benefit to have a 1100 HP circus side show.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

For HPDE track use, I doubt it was pulling timing. I checked my video’s and on the long straight, I was at full throttle for about 10 seconds and the front straight for about 8 seconds. The rest was low throttle use over ~2:45 lap times. From the first lap to the last, the power felt the exactly same.
During the first two sessions, I used 93 pump gas. Next two sessions: 103 race gas. Felt exactly the same all day long.
Like Tom said, for tracking a car, 90+% of the time you are at low throttle, and if the car’s heat dissipation capabilities can dump those few seconds of full throttle, it shouldn’t be pulling timing.
It was 100* this day, and we ran ~7 laps per session (~25 minutes). If you are running a longer event, it might heat up more; or over in the Mid-East somewhere. But I wanted to point out that my temps surprised me at how low they were the whole time. Hat’s off to the Thermo Engineers.
BTW: This car has more power than you can use. Had to feather the throttle coming onto the straights to keep the rear planted. Flooring it was a rare event, and only on the two straights. Even on those straights, there is a slow corner at the end of each; dive bombing people from ~150+ is not a good idea. Found myself cruising the last portion of the straights on occasion so as to not scare those I was coming up on because I know they weren’t watching their mirrors at that point!

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I'd assume the wheel/tire combination that is going to be used will be heavier than that of the CFTP's and I don't see mention of the dampers being changed but they are changing the springs. So the vehicle dynamics module calibration, in order to be optimized, would really have to be unique or custom and not just the "off the shelf" CFTP calibration. I'm tempted to call to unearth some detailed information but suspect I'd be disappointed with the response.

Sponsored

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd assume the wheel/tire combination that is going to be used will be heavier than that of the CFTP's and I don't see mention of the dampers being changed but they are changing the springs. So the vehicle dynamics module calibration, in order to be optimized, would really have to be unique or custom and not just the "off the shelf" CFTP calibration. I'm tempted to call to unearth some detailed information but suspect I'd be disappointed with the response.
For warranty purposes, they may not wonder too far from an available Ford calibration.
Since they are building so few, and they tend to use off-the-shelf products, I would surmise they could use the CFTP springs.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Technically speaking, reflashing the VDM with a non-stock calibration (which it would be, as the Base cars do not come with a CFTP calibration), the warranty which applies to related components that suffered a failure would already not be covered under Ford's terms. The dampers on the CFTP cars are different than on the Base cars and are calibration specific. Furthermore, Ford has built-in somewhat of a firewall in that the VDM and VIN are linked such that you can't simply reflash with a calibration that was not intended for a given VIN.

And even if they used the CFTP springs (which again, are tuned to match the CFTP dampers and CFTP wheels), it does not appear as though they are changing the dampers to the CFTP specific units.

Note carefully some of the fine print wording that Shelby uses. This is with respect to the powertrain as they have to be careful regarding EPA and CARB mandates but not with respect to suspension changes...

Shelby said:
Supercharger not included in green states.
Equipment may void factory powertrain warranty.
What is the definition, as per the EPA or CARB, of a "green" state? It isn't defined that way. We know what they are hinting at but they are failing to be specific. They are walking a fine with the factory warranty in a number of cases here.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Then again, the blue car they show sports what looks to be the CFTP wing out back. That would make you think they started with a CFTP car, at least in the case of the car they are showing, yet it doesn't have Recaro seats. Could the wing be part of the "Shelby Carbon Fiber Package (late availability)" they mention? No idea as they are a bit all over the map with this one. The car shown also has seats in the back which adds to the confusion when coupled with the wing...

what the.JPG

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Very interesting observations, Tob.

I took a closer look at the car and the wing and my best guess is it's OEM

upload_2020-8-1_17-1-49.png

As you said, the question is, what did they start with? Would they really have told Ford to send them a Snack Pack without RSD? If that answer is "no," then they got that wing somewhere.

Like others have said, the hood is gorgeous, reminds me of the 70 Chevelle SS'ssssss. :-) Can't say I'm a fan of the extra vents though.

But I don't suppose anyone can deny the car is pretty fine as well and those are almost certainly painted stripes or, a VERY good vinyl job.

upload_2020-8-1_17-5-17.png

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Ford has nothing to do with this. You send them the car and write a check for 30K
Sponsored