Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Should be and IS are 2 different things. I've seen a couple of 2013/4 GT500 up close and they looked very good. But I don't have a lot of experience with that gen car to easily spot defects shared with the cheaper models. Ford hasn't said that the GT350/500 gets 2 extra coats of paint and a meticulous re-finishing between coats, or that the gap gauge used is 50% tighter tolerance than the run of the mill cars, etc.
Yeah....

I was (well, still sort of am) pissed about the fit and finish of my pissant '15 GT. If I had paid near $100K for it, I'd be even more pissed. My '07 GT500 was better in the fit and finish department.

I have an AWD '17 VW Tiguan in the fleet that was a holdover that I stole last year for $19K. Its panel fit and finish is well beyond that of my Mustang. There is no excuse for it on an EcoBoost, let alone a GT500.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
No, I think it was priced that way because it costs that much. My GT350R's were about 70K sticker. The Tremec DCT is a 22K item. Figure other enhancements and other cost increases, it is a $100K car.

Ford is not trying to price anybody out of anything. The only thing that I cry foul over is the $10K paint on stripes. I reached out to a friend over at Flat Rock and asked the same question. Its a pain in the ass. Pull a car off the line, mask and paint and deal with all the hassles...… Many have pointed it out. It is there if you want it, but Ford seems to discourage it by such a large price.

Overall, I am pleased by the pricepoint, as long as the car delivers. For that, we will have to wait on more information.
22k for the DCT is just a stupid price. I bet that transmission costs less than $1,000 to build (assuming they are building thousands of them).

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
22k for the DCT is just a stupid price. I bet that transmission costs less than $1,000 to build (assuming they are building thousands of them).
That, I cant argue. Actually @Epiphany is the one who came up with that price. He is usually right in those kinds of things due to his connections within the industry. How much does it cost to build, wow, that's really neither here or there.

zx2reme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
I get the shock about the price, but before we say Ford isnt hurting the segment, I would hold off. This gt500 is not the gt500 from 12 years ago. I think we are used to the price points from those cars. I haven't read much yet but what is the production run going to look like for this car. I imagine it won't be as high a run as gt350 because of the prices. I remember 2008 shelby KR at dealerships selling for over 100K and this car is way better. Hell, trucks average in 70K now and most are between 70K and 85K and still like fire. Gt350Rs sold out at over 100K markups. Most of these will be in the 80K range sold and select few will jump into full out carbon track pack optioned cars just like people did with 350. Everyone was up in arms about 350r 78K sticker until a year went by and you didn't hear much more complaining about, why? because they still sold out. I will say, starting at 70k? The base gt500 should be on par or better than 350r.

Sponsored

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
A big HP/Torque handling Supercar class DCT being built @ 'less than $1k'...

lol ok

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
Why do you think the R35 GTR has crept up in price while its HP has remained relatively flat ... DCT warranty claims ain't cheap... Porsche was wondering how they were able to ship that kind of transmission back in 2009 but they wonder no longer...

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
That, I cant argue. Actually @Epiphany is the one who came up with that price. He is usually right in those kinds of things due to his connections within the industry. How much does it cost to build, wow, that's really neither here or there.
I agree. How much is charged for something doesn't always jive with what it costs to build.

A big HP/Torque handling Supercar class DCT being built @ 'less than $1k'...

lol ok
I based my guess on knowing what Ford sold me a track pack Tremec manual transmission for and thinking that the DCT probably has about 2.5X the cost of a manual transmission based on the additional components in it.

Power handling doesn't necessarily increase the cost to build something by a significant amount. Yes you have to make the components with more material to increase strength, but raw material doesn't cost that much. It's usually the manufacturing processes and assembly time that are the biggest costs in building something.

17RubyShelbyGT350

First Ford - First Shelby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350-Conven Pkg - 1st Perf Mods Done
That’s where I am at. No disrespect to Camaro and Corvette owners but I do not like those cars whatsoever. To me the image of Corvette is white haired old guys with white tube socks pulled up to their knees that they only drive to the golf club. The Camaro is fugly as hell and not worth owning as a collector.
Nope, this is my $76k '19 M7 2LZ on a track outing. And Jim Mero drove one of these to a 7:10 time at the N'Ring. Fastest guy on the track that day (busy day) was a 71 year old guy driving track spec BMW - I was second.

Update your stereotypes.
TRK #4.JPG

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Nope, this is my $76k '19 M7 2LZ on a track outing. And Jim Mero drove one of these to a 7:10 time at the N'Ring. Fastest guy on the track that day (busy day) was a 71 year old guy driving track spec BMW - I was second.
I think I see a skunk ape in those woods in the background ...

Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase

Update your stereotypes.
TRK #4.JPG
That sure is a beautiful spec on that Vette! Wonder how the GT500 will perform relatively...

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
And it continues, this is too funny. A-trolling we will go, a-trolling we will go, hi ho the..... never mind.

Twizzty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bones
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro 1SS 1LE MT
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, how dare you poors get in the way of this beautiful conversation, for shame! :crazy:

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
I based my guess on knowing what Ford sold me a track pack Tremec manual transmission for and thinking that the DCT probably has about 2.5X the cost of a manual transmission based on the additional components in it.

Power handling doesn't necessarily increase the cost to build something by a significant amount. Yes you have to make the components with more material to increase strength, but raw material doesn't cost that much. It's usually the manufacturing processes and assembly time that are the biggest costs in building something.
All valid points... definitely sounds like a $22,000 high end sports car transmission talk to me :)

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
I personally love this discussion.

This is what Ford wants - they don't want you thinking of terms like, directly cross-shopping with its most logical cross town rival - thats 20th century talk

You're deciding between the speciality version of a Stang vs a Porsche ? Ya Ford already won the battle, now its only up to you if your bank account can keep up :)
Sponsored