lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
13 days so far....
Is not acceptable by any standards, giving this is not a first instance like your's.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Montoya

Montoya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Update Day 15:

Ford concludes they are sending a long block replacement. The dealer is expediting the request based on my low mileage and near new vehicle. Ford Performance also told them the service engines never have plaques and there is no procedure to get one for a service motor. Not. happy. I still don't have a date on when they will get the replacement motor.

Meanwhile my Ford CSR is not answering my email or voicemails. Great.

Jeffola

Automotive Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I had gone through a Buyback on my 2017 Raptor. I'd LOVE to get my hands on a 350 (Your color is stunning) and replace my 50 years GT Droptop. Anyway, one thing to note on the buyback is that Ford has no control of their dealers. So the usual method of the buyback is that the dealer agrees to sell you the replacement for invoice. A good dealer would probably help you, but few dealers are willing to forgo all profit on the replacement. I found a dealer that sold me a new one for less than sticker (Rare at the time).

A few points to ponder.

The car is a stunner, I'd be happy to own it, you will be as well.

Unless your goal was resale (Which I doubt, just based on your scheduled pickup drive) its a well documented repair.

Have it fixed, get a 100,000 mile warranty on the drivetrain (Push Ford to supply that at no cost)

Enjoy that car! Really, its a great story, a little sad, I agree, but overall its about the ride.

Enjoy the ride!

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Update Day 15:

Ford concludes they are sending a long block replacement. The dealer is expediting the request based on my low mileage and near new vehicle. Ford Performance also told them the service engines never have plaques and there is no procedure to get one for a service motor. Not. happy. I still don't have a date on when they will get the replacement motor.

they will take the plaque from engine 1 and transfer to the new long block along with the original intake and a few other parts. When you get it back, open the hood at the dealer and carefully look over all clamps and electrical connectors. Also the oil separators. Make sure all are in place. My did a good job except for one nit. On the Ford catch can, there are four hex bolts that held the cover on. Two months after I got it back it was time to clean and drain it. Sooo they must have lost one of the hex bolts when they took it off and emptied it and used a torx bolt. Needless to say I then had to grab a Torx screwdriver to get it out and then source a new hex bolt that matched the other three. I mean why not send a person to go to the hardware store and put the right bolt back in. But new motor runs great with 14k miles on it now

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Update Day 15:

@Montoya

Just an FYI:
The Service Center or your Rep there either doesn’t know what they are talking about or is blowing smoke at you to keep you somewhat happy. I think it was already discussed in this thread (or it can be found in other GT350 engine failure threads) - Ford will NEVER send any replacement Shelby long block with an attached “signed builder plaque” nor will the engine have a matched VIN on it. Not sure where the Dealer Dude got the info to tell you something like that (only to have your bubble burst), but he’s totally wrong.

Ford CSR:
As far as dealing with the Ford CSR - this is to be expected and follows the path that I, and many others have had to deal with when it comes to a major Warranty repair once a Claim is opened. The CSR will be good in the beginning but will eventually become “distant” or non-responsive.

To get results, call back the # you were given and at the menu prompt do not select your CSR’s extension. Wait and when it runs through the options either select -0- for the Operator OR wait for a live Operator and ask to speak to a Ford Supervisor. If asked why, demand to speak to the Supervisor and say it’s because you can’t get any response from your Ford Claims CSR. You will then be directed to the Supervisor or their voicemail. If getting either, leave your complete name, Claim # and a phone number where you can be reached - and explain that you’re fed up and demand your case be expedited, otherwise your seeking legal counsel and will make your experience very public on their Social Media accounts.

Once you do get a Supervisor, request their direct number so you have it for your records. Also request that correspondence of updates be communicated via emails where possible (doc trail).

Unfortunately, you’re going to have to chase after THEM - to getting results and answers.

Sponsored

Shogai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford Mustang Shelby GT
@Montoya
A CSR disappearing into thin air is a sadly common magic trick... I'm bummed it's happening to you for something like this.

Definitely agree with Cobra Jet on having to chase people down for answers, and he highlights some good steps to take. Hopefully things won't need to escalate very far but you never know.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately, you’re going to have to chase after THEM - to getting results and answers.
and yet lo' 20 years ago we invented these things called web pages and server-side scripts. A trivial pseudo-authenticated website hook into their event tracking system (Remedy?) could yield the full correspondance and state of the issue as often as you wanted to hit refresh in your browser.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
and yet lo' 20 years ago we invented these things called web pages and server-side scripts. A trivial pseudo-authenticated website hook into their event tracking system (Remedy?) could yield the full correspondance and state of the issue as often as you wanted to hit refresh in your browser.

Do share more....

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Do share more....
I already sketched out a simple (and bloody obvious) requirements document that Ford IT could adopt. If they want to hire me to implement it, they'll have to PM me.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Well post it here as we wait to get infected.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Montoya

Montoya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
@Montoya

Just an FYI:
The Service Center or your Rep there either doesn’t know what they are talking about or is blowing smoke at you to keep you somewhat happy. I think it was already discussed in this thread (or it can be found in other GT350 engine failure threads) - Ford will NEVER send any replacement Shelby long block with an attached “signed builder plaque” nor will the engine have a matched VIN on it. Not sure where the Dealer Dude got the info to tell you something like that (only to have your bubble burst), but he’s totally wrong.
@Montoya
A CSR disappearing into thin air is a sadly common magic trick... I'm bummed it's happening to you for something like this.

Definitely agree with Cobra Jet on having to chase people down for answers, and he highlights some good steps to take. Hopefully things won't need to escalate very far but you never know.
Thanks for the good advice Cobra Jet. However I think you misunderstood the situation- the dealer never promised I would have a build plate, just that he would request one.

My CSR did call today (see below).

I personally called Ford Performance today to register a complaint about this. The rep explained that long block service motors don’t come with cam covers or other ‘dress’ parts including the build plate. Not that the build plate was unsigned as I thought. Unfortunately you just use the same build plate and other dress parts on the new motor from your old. We also talked about my failure and he assured me there is no current or pending recall regarding my failure. Also that despite the few other seemingly similar failures my case is very isolated. He seemed pretty sincere and knowledgeable but of course he’s a paid professional...

Yeah, my 2002 M3 I could track my order online, not rocket science 18 years latter.

Update- my CSR did call today- she is expecting completion of my replacement next Friday, which would be great! Fingers crossed.

Regarding what happens if I go for a buy back, there is no way to know if I would get a like for like replacement vehicle when the production is so limited, and she can’t say if a replacement order would be granted if I couldn’t find one. I’m obviously taking the repair route unless the repair really slips. She will be working on compensation for lost service of the car and other expenses.

So while not great, so far Ford is saying the right things and everyone is doing what they can. Hoping for a successful resolution to it all.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
@Montoya

Just an FYI:

Ford CSR:
As far as dealing with the Ford CSR - this is to be expected and follows the path that I, and many others have had to deal with when it comes to a major Warranty repair once a Claim is opened. The CSR will be good in the beginning but will eventually become “distant” or non-responsive.

To get results, call back the # you were given and at the menu prompt do not select your CSR’s extension. Wait and when it runs through the options either select -0- for the Operator OR wait for a live Operator and ask to speak to a Ford Supervisor. If asked why, demand to speak to the Supervisor and say it’s because you can’t get any response from your Ford Claims CSR. You will then be directed to the Supervisor or their voicemail. If getting either, leave your complete name, Claim # and a phone number where you can be reached - and explain that you’re fed up and demand your case be expedited, otherwise your seeking legal counsel and will make your experience very public on their Social Media accounts.

Once you do get a Supervisor, request their direct number so you have it for your records. Also request that correspondence of updates be communicated via emails where possible (doc trail).

I work in IT and deal with this all the time with Vendor relations and issues. It doesn't matter what company (HP, Dell, Cisco, etc.) they all have their faults. If you feel like you are not getting responses in a reasonable amount of time then push back and move up the chain as Cobra Jet suggested. Keep in mind though, with the Virus outbreak, schools closing etc, there may be a reduction in manpower at many major corporations unless they are properly equipped for remote computing by employees. It sounds like they are moving things along for you now. Let's hope for a good resolution. On a positive note, has anyone seen the gas prices lately? They are dropping rapidly here in Wisconsin. AND there is no ban on driving vehicles, as driving your shelby is not considered a large gathering type/high population type of event.. two people at best unless you want to squeeze a kid in the back :like:

Fordified

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several Mustangs thru the years
I've been following this situation with great interest to see how all this is going to end up. Firstly, I am very sorry this happened in the first place, but it is a man-made product and quite susceptible to failure at times. Mr. Montoya, you are a patient and understanding fellow to not let this get the best of you. You will probably be back in your Shelby fairly quickly and enjoying all the miles to come.
A replacement car would be tough to do because the car is so limited, especially in the stunning color yours is.
Did Ford ever say what definitively caused the failure? Maybe it's too early to know (i.e. dropped valve, cracked piston, etc.). Interesting that the coolant level was low but didn't show up in the oil. Sometimes it's the cheapest part that causes the most damage.
Here's hoping that better days are just around the corner for you!

JPC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Boss 302
Sorry to pile on bad news, I know a few guys now with replaced GT350 engines.
These guys have told me the Ford dealers have reduced the trade in values once it is known the engine was replaced
I would serious see if you can get Ford replace the car

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
Sorry to pile on bad news, I know a few guys now with replaced GT350 engines.
These guys have told me the Ford dealers have reduced the trade in values once it is known the engine was replaced
I would serious see if you can get Ford replace the car
Well then sadly it looks more and more like theirs gonna be a hell of a lot of reduced trade in values.
Sponsored