2020 GT500's Scheduled For Production - Part 2

Melange_X3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
D
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2017 Ford Focus ST, On Order 2020 CTFP Shelby GT 500 with POTTS. Car is released and awaiting shipment. I am running out of time before having to leave for Japan on July 29th.
How long does received in production usually take after returning from Penske. If the car was going to sit a while waiting for a rail car the wait time will be about the same right?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
How long does received in production usually take after returning from Penske. If the car was going to sit a while waiting for a rail car the wait time will be about the same right?
Now, if that is what's waiting for you in Japan, now I get it....

melange.jpg

41236.jpg

Melange_X3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
D
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2017 Ford Focus ST, On Order 2020 CTFP Shelby GT 500 with POTTS. Car is released and awaiting shipment. I am running out of time before having to leave for Japan on July 29th.
Hi Tom,
You are right there are a lot of fit, attractive and friendly women there. People there for the most part eat healthier, walk more, take lots of stairs and it shows. Women are very feminine and almost always wear dresses and skirts. The food is great, lots to do and very little crime in comparison to major cities in the US. But since this is a Shelby forum I will note that gas prices are higher and vehicle tax is based on the size of your car's engine so running the GT500 over there is going to cost a lot but it will be worth it.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Hi Tom,
You are right there are a lot of fit, attractive and friendly women there. People there for the most part eat healthier, walk more, take lots of stairs and it shows. Women are very feminine and almost always wear dresses and skirts. The food is great, lots to do and very little crime in comparison to major cities in the US. But since this is a Shelby forum I will note that gas prices are higher and vehicle tax is based on the size of your car's engine so running the GT500 over there is going to cost a lot but it will be worth it.
I've flown over/around Japan, never been (outside the airport). I was once changing flights in Narita and while we were in the airline lounge, an earthquake hit. Everyone immediately knew what it was and went to the center of the room. My wife and I sat under a big screen TV until we figured out what it was.

I spent a lot of time in Korea, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Viet Nam, Hong Kong.... Anyway, I agree. I like the people of the various parts of Asia. Food is excellent and the culture is better in so many ways.

Cgouzoulis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Vehicle(s)
None
I’m told they now go to the “mod shop” after stripes.
Theres no more mod shop from what I've read on this thread....maybe im read it wrong

OP
OP
Snoopy49

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
I’m told they now go to the “mod shop” after stripes.
They are complete when they go to Penske for stripes, when they are returned they are inspected and released for shipment.

Melange_X3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
D
Vehicle(s)
I've flown over/around Japan, never been (outside the airport). I was once changing flights in Narita and while we were in the airline lounge, an earthquake hit. Everyone immediately knew what it was and went to the center of the room. My wife and I sat under a big screen TV until we figured out what it was.

I spent a lot of time in Korea, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Viet Nam, Hong Kong.... Anyway, I agree. I like the people of the various parts of Asia. Food is excellent and the culture is better in so many ways.
Hi Tom. PM me and I will give you my email address. Next time you or you and your family come through Tokyo. I will show you around. I will also travel throughout the Pacific Rim and may be in some of the other places you listed for short trips. It would be good to hang out with a fellow Mustang Enthusiast.

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Tom. PM me and I will give you my email address. Next time you or you and your family come through Tokyo. I will show you around. I will also travel throughout the Pacific Rim and may be in some of the other places you listed for short trips. It would be good to hang out with a fellow Mustang Enthusiast.
D:

How long does it take the car to get to Japan?

When I shipped my 500 to New Zealand, it took approx a 3 weeks to a month to get there from LA. That time does not include the time on a truck from Fl to Cali. Took even longer to get it back.

I was glad to have the 350 at that time to keep driving around Fl.

Melange_X3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
D
Vehicle(s)
D:

How long does it take the car to get to Japan?

When I shipped my 500 to New Zealand, it took approx a 3 weeks to a month to get there from LA. That time does not include the time on a truck from Fl to Cali. Took even longer to get it back.

I was glad to have the 350 at that time to keep driving around Fl.
It takes about the same time as what you experienced. I shipped my Saleen to Tokyo the last two times I worked and lived in Tokyo. The one month wait time for the car to get shipped isn't the difficult part. The importation, inspection and registration process is the hard and expensive part. Japan has crazy vehicle laws. I had to add European rear turn signals with amber lights, borrow the smaller and narrower wheels of a V-6 mustang and numerous other things to get it to pass their inspection. Of course once it passed I put the right wheels back on the car. I speak good Japanese and it was still like playing Super Mario Brothers trying to navigate their DMV system to register the car. It took weeks and about 3 thousand dollars to get the initial inspection and registration done. It was worth it though and I sold the 2005 SALEEN for about twice what it was worth right before I bought my GT350. People will pay ridiculous amounts of money to buy a Mustang there. My Saleen got irradiated by the fallout from the Fukashima reactor melt down so I didn't want to keep it afterwards and I was happy to sell it for double of what it was worth.

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
It takes about the same time as what you experienced. I shipped my Saleen to Tokyo the last two times I worked and lived in Tokyo. The one month wait time for the car to get shipped isn't the difficult part. The importation, inspection and registration process is the hard and expensive part. Japan has crazy vehicle laws. I had to add European rear turn signals with amber lights, borrow the smaller and narrower wheels of a V-6 mustang and numerous other things to get it to pass their inspection. Of course once it passed I put the right wheels back on the car. I speak good Japanese and it was still like playing Super Mario Brothers trying to navigate their DMV system to register the car. It took weeks and about 3 thousand dollars to get the initial inspection and registration done. It was worth it though and I sold the 2005 SALEEN for about twice what it was worth right before I bought my GT350. People will pay ridiculous amounts of money to buy a Mustang there. My Saleen got irradiated by the fallout from the Fukashima reactor melt down so I didn't want to keep it afterwards and I was happy to sell it for double of what it was worth.
How long are to be in Japan? Do you HAVE to REGISTER there? Obviously you will be there for a while

Since we only shipped our to NZ for a 2 week period,we did not have to register them. We had the customs inspections and "disinfection" done to ours. The wife and I did not know the "disinfection" was going to happen. We had packed our suitcases in the trunk so we minimal baggage threw the airlines. That screwed us up a bit, we had to do laundry when we got there to rinse the smell out.

Melange_X3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
D
Vehicle(s)
How long are to be in Japan? Do you HAVE to REGISTER there? Obviously you will be there for a while

Since we only shipped our to NZ for a 2 week period,we did not have to register them. We had the customs inspections and "disinfection" done to ours. The wife and I did not know the "disinfection" was going to happen. We had packed our suitcases in the trunk so we minimal baggage threw the airlines. That screwed us up a bit, we had to do laundry when we got there to rinse the smell out.
I have spent a total of 6 years in Tokyo before and I will be there 2 or 3 years this time. Yes I will have to register the car there. It wouldn't be worth the cost and effort to take the car there for a short time. The younger people love Mustangs but most of the older people hate them because they are big, loud and burn up a lot of gas. When I drove my Saleen through residential areas at night I would always see people pull their curtains back and look outside with a big frown on their faces. Going through tunnels and pulling away from toll booths is also dangerous because people would flinch and jump while driving their cars when they heard my car accelerate. The sound is very unusual there.

chief_charlie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
Lots of late-model Mustangs
Well, once again another week, and no word from Ford as to when 0837 is going to be released from the rail yard. Been sitting out in the open in 80 + degree weather since June 17th....4 weeks this Wednesday. Apparently there are 40 other CFTP cars that are in this same situation throughout the US . It's not so much the time since ordering (7/1/2019) that concerns me, but it's condition upon receipt at the dealer. Ford doesn't appear to have a lot of respect for purchasers of their "ultimate Mustang" They shoot horses don't they?
1E1FBC2F-8F5D-42CB-8861-3FE93F34E9D6.jpeg

Last edited: