Sponsored

2020 GT500 goes 10.61 @ 133 mph!

BULL1TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT, 2001 Bullitt
I am not trying to bash the car and I 'm a diehard mustang fan, but why does it weigh so damn much? I thought my 15 was a pig at 3600lbs but this car adds another 5-600 lbs. Also, It is really lazy on the shifts and sounds like it is slipping into gear. I thought one advantage of the DCT was super fast shifts. This thing should be a beast once some of the tuners get their hands on it.:rockon:
Sponsored

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I am not trying to bash the car and I 'm a diehard mustang fan, but why does it weigh so damn much? I thought my 15 was a pig at 3600lbs but this car adds another 5-600 lbs. Also, It is really lazy on the shifts and sounds like it is slipping into gear. I thought one advantage of the DCT was super fast shifts. This thing should be a beast once some of the tuners get their hands on it.:rockon:
1. Sueprcharger - Mine weighs 3995lbs with a full tank of gas, minus me 2. extra cooling above normal SC intercooler 3. Brakes 4. Dual Clutch

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Look at other videos the shifts are NOT slow when using the paddles. Think the number was 80 milliseconds?

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
It sport mode it shifts in 80 milliseconds. Very very fast.
In drag mode and track mode it shifts different (slower) for optimum grip.

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
Cobra jet version will be no different than the other cobra jet version. Maybe itll be a 10th faster? There is no major jump in those drag cars like a major jump from the street cars, 13 gt500 to a 2020 gt500.
Imagine having the same drivetrain........but without the heavy brakes and coolers.
The smaller rear rotors would allow for a decent drag oriented tire and rim.
Those changes would most likely produce a 9 second car as delivered from the factory.

But let's save this conversation for another day.
This is the day set aside for the GT500.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
It is really lazy on the shifts and sounds like it is slipping into gear.
As noted by EJS in his Hotrod article, it's to not break the tires loose. It would seem Ford isn't actively sensing wheel spin and feeding that into the regulating algorithm for shifting engine/clutch but rather they programmed in a "suitable" delay factor. Said delay is good enough for most tires and conditions, no doubt, but if you're trying to win $ and tropies will probably need tailored to conditions, track, and tire choice.

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
LOL!

Reading some of these articles from MT and C&D are very interesting. They are loving the car. Hell one reviewer is just calling the CFTP a GT500R for his review. Lot's of high and very little low's.

Your going to have to dig reeaal deep to say the car is going to be a failure as of how things stand now.
ChevyTrend seemed to love it. Called it a GT2RS, world class, one of the best sports cars in the world.

I guess it doesn't suck if their reviews are praiseworthy.

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
Imagine having the same drivetrain........but without the heavy brakes and coolers.
Those changes would most likely produce a 9 second car as delivered from the factory.

yawn. mentioning the cobra jet is pointless, maybe they share the same chassis? the cobra jet is a drag car, solid axle and not street legal, why even bring it up? They dont have the same brakes or wheels, the motor is more beefed up than this gt500 also. Again, bringing up the cobra jet is moot because it is already fast in a much lighter package.

Evan J. Smith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Mustang
To answer your questions: 6 coolers and pumps (with extra fluids), huge brakes (16.5-inch rotors!), computers, DCT is not light, airbags everywhere, etc. Heavy yes, but awesome performance. The trans shifts in under 100 milliseconds, and it doesn't slip, at least you don't feel it. One really needs to drive this car to experience all the systems.

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
@Evan J. Smith with cooler weather, great DA, and great track prep, how quick can this car get down the 1/4 mile?
Also, is the base model faster than the TP since the base doesnt have sticker tires in the front?

Sponsored

Evan J. Smith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Mustang
@Evan J. Smith with cooler weather, great DA, and great track prep, how quick can this car get down the 1/4 mile?
Also, is the base model faster than the TP since the base doesnt have sticker tires in the front?
On a good track the base model is probably quicker, but I didn't confirm this. My guess is 10.30-10.40 with tires in sea-level weather at a good track like Atco or Cecil County. I'm planning to find out for sure though.

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51

Sounds like a great idea for a Mach 1 Mustang.

Fpetro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
Shelby gt350 Saleen S 281
just curious why you keep saying C8, your comparing fords new super mustang to a base c8. the c8 would be like a gt is the mustang line. Your comparison would be against the new Z06 ..., no??