2020 GT500 CFTP Destroys C8 Corvette - Motortrend Comparison Review

Snowwolfe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 F250, 2017 Expedition, 2019 Honda Civic
And $10K for people who are shopping $65-100K+ “sportscars” is nothing. Many C8’s will be well over $70K with options and very few sold initially will be the $60K base car.

It’s just common sense. I guarantee you there are C8 owners right now who have cancelled their order for a GT500.
I would happily cancel my C8 order for a GT500 at the same price as the C8 ($70K)
Sponsored

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
I would happily cancel my C8 order for a GT500 at the same price as the C8 ($70K)
The ADM on the GT350(R)/GT500 will keep me away for forever and a day.

Boss2013

Threads
Reaction score
It's funny...makes you wonder why they did not use NCM (Corvette Track) to showcase the abilities of the new C8. Simple - there would be no room for excuses. The GT350 R has a 4 second difference on that track with the C7 Z06 with same driver. If we knew the numbers of the C8 on their own track, it would expose a dose of reality GM does not want people to see. Especially with a pre-production car.
Love that track. And it is a pretty technical course and the "Sinkhole" is truly a challenge. I ran there in my GT350R after only having about two weeks seat time and it was a lot of fun, I'd like to see a C8/GT500/ZL1 1LE comparison there.

Arkarius

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2018 ZL1, 2018 3.5 F-150, 2004 MSM
Looks like you finally get it C8 is a GT3 car when the Mustang is a very slow GT4 car. So a Mustang going circles around the C8 at VIR is big deal. Even if you don't like it this is the case.
It barely edged it out on a track that favors high hp cars. At least you are setting up the excuse when it loses on a tight technical track.

That is an impressive feat for both cars given their advantages and disadvantages.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
And on a autocross coarse a Miata would destroy both.

All he is doing is moving the target to try to make the GT500 appear inferior. He claims the GT500 experiences heat soak and loses more power and performance than GM vehicles due to DA and temperature. He’s a complete idiot. The fact that none call him out as such on that forum is dumbfounding.
They do. That section has about 5 or 6 regulars. All hardcore magazine racers. The camaro guys that I know from the track. All just make fun of him. And won't post there because they are forced to pick sides. Agree with the Mustang trolls like me.
Or back the village idiot. Its a no win situation for them.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
It barely edged it out on a track that favors high hp cars. At least you are setting up the excuse when it loses on a tight technical track.

That is an impressive feat for both cars given their advantages and disadvantages.
I think the GT500 CFTP will beat C8 on almost any track from what I have seen so far from onboard videos of both cars. the C8 has understeering and snap oversteer which make it very hard to drive fast on tracks. The GT500 looks faster at least from the Z51 C8 don't know what will happen when the 755 hp version of the C8 comes into play. Ether way the GT500 looks like an impressive track car to me.

Concrete GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red Vert
theyO
Sounds like someone is huffing Race Gas too much
Or huffing blatantly biased MT articles.....I mean they did let the Ford win this time.....by a second despite being almost 5 seconds faster.....

Concrete GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red Vert
Anyone think(or know) that it would have been pretty easy to slap a set of DR's on the GT500 for the acceleration test....I mean it's gotta take less time than doing a race engineered suspension tune....right? I guess they didn't want that 1.2 second gappening happening.....lol.....did they even stop to drop the tire pressure...

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Anyone think(or know) that it would have been pretty easy to slap a set of DR's on the GT500 for the acceleration test....I mean it's gotta take less time than doing a race engineered suspension tune....right? I guess they didn't want that 1.2 second gappening happening.....lol.....did they even stop to drop the tire pressure...
you get the impression from the article that the Mustang crew let the car show itself off.
The c8 crew went through every possible adjustment they could come up with.

and mt still had to hold the Mustang back in order to prevent total carnage.

Sponsored

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
you get the impression from the article that the Mustang crew let the car show itself off.
The c8 crew went through every possible adjustment they could come up with.

and mt still had to hold the Mustang back in order to prevent total carnage.
When car actually has the word "track" in its "name" and 260 more hp, it better beat it. Duh. It is a totally different setup. Not just an alignment. Changing springs/bars/shocks, tires, wheels, aero, wing. Anyone could say it might beat the C8, but at only one performance metric is not a win, when it lost on all the other metrics. So MT must have let the GT500 win on the one metric so people on here won't feel so bad.

Plus MotorTrend Named the C8 Car of the Year. Another win for the C8. They said it was a masterpiece

https://www.motortrend.com/news/chevrolet-corvette-c8-2020-car-of-the-year/

Boss2013

Threads
Reaction score

Boss2013

Threads
Reaction score
Anyone could say it might beat the C8, but at only one performance metric is not a win, when it lost on all the other metrics. So MT must have let the GT500 win on the one metric so people on here won't feel so bad.

Plus MotorTrend Named the C8 Car of the Year. Another win for the C8. They said it was a masterpiece

https://www.motortrend.com/news/chevrolet-corvette-c8-2020-car-of-the-year/
It's a win in this particular case, because the article based the comparison on the track performance of both cars. It's in the freakin' title of the article. This was not a "best in every performance category" article.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
It's a win in this particular case, because the article based the comparison on the track performance of both cars. It's in the freakin' title of the article. This was not a "best in every performance category" article.
You mean like 1/4 mile "track"?

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
The ADM on the GT350(R)/GT500 will keep me away for forever and a day.
There are deals all over the place for R’s at MSRP or less and non-R’s for $5-7K under MSRP. One dude recently got a leftover new 2018 for $10K off MSRP.

GT500’s will be at MSRP from some dealers by this time next year.
Sponsored