Sponsored

2019 vs 2020 GT350R - Worth the differences?

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
I am not going to drive it close to the limit but I can tell you my gt350 (2017) has a decent amount of body roll and instability taking turns in canyon road type driving.
That was what I did not like about my 2017 GT350. It was not quite where I wanted it for that type of use. I tried to fix that by upgrading the suspension but while better after driving an R I bit the bullet and got one. Now that definitely checks all my requirements. I think you will be happy.

I want this car to be a more practical manual GT3 that I am not afraid of leaving outside if that makes sense.
Now to be honest, I am not sure you will get a more practical car than a GT3 (less expensive to own and maintain for sure). I feel that the R is a very impractical car. The front splitter takes the cake - low and long overhang (and no front lift either). And it is not just the splitter (it is not a small car - you know that already, it is either too quiet or pretty loud, CF wheels with barely any clearance to calipers, etc). But what makes it impractical makes is fun - it is a riot to drive every single time. And extremely capable even by Porsche standards too. You just have to get it with the right expectations.
Sponsored

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
My 16 base car tramlined much worse then my 19R. My car has the Ford Caster Camber plates from the dealer and I feel like the tramlining is almost gone to the point its a non issue. Tire width is not the sole issue for tramlining. Tire constriction, alignment all play a role as well (and some roads)

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
After doing some further research, I found out that you can no longer install regular mustang rear seats to a 19-20 model years GT350R. I knew that the rear seat kit was no longer being produced which I was fine with and was planning to install regular GT350 rear seats. It looks like there were some changes in the way hardware mounts to the car and the R doesnt have those updates. This is a big let down for me as I cant get the R without the ability of adding the rear seats. I will either keep my GT350 or buy a 2020 GT350 with more warranty.

Also as an FYI, the cost of upgrading to a 2020 R with a sale price of 80k and a trade in value of my 2017 at 40k is :

- $40k net sale
- $3k taxes
- $1.5-2k transport
- $4.4k for rear seat parts (if it were compatible hypothetically)
- $5.5k for redoing the XPEL

Total : $54.5k (or minus 20k if I upgraded to a GT350)

I did find extended warranty through Carchex (allegiance is the insurance carrier) for $3500 for unlimited years/125,000 miles.

I dont think it makes sense given the above. For $54.5k, I could probably replace the engine/transmission, twice, out of my pocket.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
After doing some further research, I found out that you can no longer install regular mustang rear seats to a 19-20 model years GT350R. I knew that the rear seat kit was no longer being produced which I was fine with and was planning to install regular GT350 rear seats. It looks like there were some changes in the way hardware mounts to the car and the R doesnt have those updates. This is a big let down for me as I cant get the R without the ability of adding the rear seats. I will either keep my GT350 or buy a 2020 GT350 with more warranty.

Also as an FYI, the cost of upgrading to a 2020 R with a sale price of 80k and a trade in value of my 2017 at 40k is :

- $40k net sale
- $3k taxes
- $1.5-2k transport

I did find extended warranty through Carchex (allegiance is the insurance carrier) for $3500 for unlimited years/125,000 miles.

I dont think it makes sense given the above. For $54.5k, I could probably replace the engine/transmission, twice, out of my pocket.
If you already have a 350 - for over $50k, I'd be looking for another fun car to add to the garage.

ecoboost321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R ; 2018 Tesla Model 3

- $40k net sale
- $3k taxes
- $1.5-2k transport

I agree, that is too much of a delta to go from your 2017 GT350 to a 2020 GT350R. My opinion is that big part of the GT350/GT350R experience is the engine/transmission/brakes which are identical in both cars (save for the resonator delete in the GT350R, which is a cheap and easy mod to do for your car). You mentioned you didn't like the body roll of your car, so you could modify with lowering springs to help with that, or even ditch the Magneride and install a coilover suspension, and change swaybars. You could then set up your car exactly how you want.

Sponsored

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I agree, that is too much of a delta to go from your 2017 GT350 to a 2020 GT350R. My opinion is that big part of the GT350/GT350R experience is the engine/transmission/brakes which are identical in both cars (save for the resonator delete in the GT350R, which is a cheap and easy mod to do for your car). You mentioned you didn't like the body roll of your car, so you could modify with lowering springs to help with that, or even ditch the Magneride and install a coilover suspension, and change swaybars. You could then set up your car exactly how you want.
The 2020 R brakes are different. Its in the programing. Otherwise I would agree with your conclusion

Weather756

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Good Afternoon came across this video on the GT350 vs GT350R on track. I am sure many have seen it. But I am going to post it. A good data point...
GT350 vs Gt350R
Sponsored