Sponsored

2020 GT PP1 Wheel Choices...from Ford

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The only Ford PP1 wheels I like are the optional forged ones that are like a grand extra... but they're not offered in black. However, I'd have preferred those than my Bullitt wheels :devil: .
Sponsored

OP
OP
rain6460

rain6460

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1- w/Roush phase 2
The only Ford PP1 wheels I like are the optional forged ones that are like a grand extra... but they're not offered in black. However, I'd have preferred those than my Bullitt wheels :devil: .
Thanks Elp. Yeah I really like the 5 spoke design in the pic I posted. I may spring for a set at some point. I wonder if there’s any market out there for the black PP1 wheels I’m getting with the car if I tried selling them? Thanks.
Jeff

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I have the 19x10 SVE R350 wheels with stock PP1 tire sizes (255/40 R19 front, 275/40 R19 rear). The wheels look awesome on the car IMO (GT350R replica wheels) - and it's a bonus that each wheel is 9 lbs lighter than the black factory PP1 wheels. On my car, the top of the rear wheel is essentially flush with the fender (see pics below), and the tire itself pokes a tad, but not very much since it's just the lip of the tire. The top of the fronts tires are flush with the fenders, with the top of the wheel sitting back very slightly from the fender due to the slight negative camber. I prefer no poke as it's functionally better not to have poke (aero), but the rear tire poke is small enough to be nearly negligible. One thing to consider when shopping for the wheel is the spoke diameter appearance. The spokes of the SVE R350 wheels extend nearly to the outer diameter of the wheel, causing the wheels to appear fuller compared to a wheel design where the spokes stop short of the outer wheel diameter. Anyway, here's a couple of different angles of the rear and then an overall side pic:
1602522139804.png

1602522175032.png

1602522530164.png

Sponsored

OP
OP
rain6460

rain6460

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
I have the 19x10 SVE R350 wheels with stock PP1 tire sizes (255/40 R19 front, 275/40 R19 rear). The wheels look awesome on the car IMO (GT350R replica wheels) - and it's a bonus that each wheel is 9 lbs lighter than the black factory PP1 wheels. On my car, the top of the rear wheel is essentially flush with the fender (see pics below), and the tire itself pokes a tad, but not very much since it's just the lip of the tire. The top of the fronts tires are flush with the fenders, with the top of the wheel sitting back very slightly from the fender due to the slight negative camber. I prefer no poke as it's functionally better not to have poke (aero), but the rear tire poke is small enough to be nearly negligible. One thing to consider when shopping for the wheel is the spoke diameter appearance. The spokes of the SVE R350 wheels extend nearly to the outer diameter of the wheel, causing the wheels to appear fuller compared to a wheel design where the spokes stop short of the outer wheel diameter. Anyway, here's a couple of different angles of the rear and then an overall side pic:
1602522139804.png

1602522175032.png

1602522530164.png
Wow that looks great! I don’t know a whole lot about wheels so maybe you can clarify something for me. When you say you’re using the stock PP1 tires do you mean you could put those very same tires that came with the car on the new 10” wide rims? I don’t have the car yet but I think it has 9” wide front rims and 9.5 in the rear. I know this is a really dumb question but again, I’m an idiot when it comes to tires and wheels!

spaz mk will

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
If you buy a square wheel package, I would strongly suggest using the same tire size on all wheels. This gives you a setup that can be rotated, like most any other car. The common square fit is 19x10 (usually +35, sometimes +40 offset) with a 285/35 tire. Common staggered ups the rear to 19x11 +50 with a 305/35. Depending on tire brand and performance goals, 275/35 on a 19x10 and 295/35 on a 19x11 is also common.

OP
OP
rain6460

rain6460

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
If you buy a square wheel package, I would strongly suggest using the same tire size on all wheels. This gives you a setup that can be rotated, like most any other car. The common square fit is 19x10 (usually +35, sometimes +40 offset) with a 285/35 tire. Common staggered ups the rear to 19x11 +50 with a 305/35. Depending on tire brand and performance goals, 275/35 on a 19x10 and 295/35 on a 19x11 is also common.
Thanks for that. Like I said I’m clueless about this. I’m totally on board with having the same size all the way around and being able to rotate tires. Now here’s where how dumb I am is really going to shine...My stock rims are 9” front and 9.5” rear. If I move to a 10” setup all the way around I’m going to have to 86 my existing tires and buy all new ones right? Thanks

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Wow that looks great! I don’t know a whole lot about wheels so maybe you can clarify something for me. When you say you’re using the stock PP1 tires do you mean you could put those very same tires that came with the car on the new 10” wide rims? I don’t have the car yet but I think it has 9” wide front rims and 9.5 in the rear. I know this is a really dumb question but again, I’m an idiot when it comes to tires and wheels!
The 255 front and 275 rear rires that come on the PP1 can indeed be stretched onto 10” wide wheels. Its maybe not optimal (wider tires would be nicer) but its still a bit of a slight upgrade in road feel versus the same tires on your stock 9/9.5” wheels. Doing that lets you get into some nice wheels while saving some initial cost for new tires.

Down the road when you wear those tires out, you’ll want to get a square set of tires to match the square wheels and allow you to rotate freely. Something like a 285/35 fits a 19x10” wheel about perfectly..

Sponsored

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Thanks!

Yes, I put the tires that my car came with on the new aftermarket 10" wide wheels. The stock tires are Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. For the 255/40 R19 size, Michelin recommends a max. rim width of 10". So the 10" would work fine. For the 275/40 R19, 10" is exactly in the middle of the recommended range (9-11"), so 10" wheels are a perfect fit for the 275/40 tires. https://www.michelinman.com/tires/pilot/pilot-sport-4s.html

There is NO reason not to use your stock PP1 tires w/ 10" wide wheels since they will fit fine if they have tread left on them. Use the stock PP1 tires on the 10" wheels until they need to be replaced. Then at that time you can decide if you want a "square" setup (square means same tire size all the way around). Disadvantages with square is it will likely change the diameter of either your front, rear, or both front and rear tires, causing changes to speedo (rear dia. change), wheel well gaps/ opening changes, and ride height.

I recommend staying close to the original diameter if you can. For example, 275/40 all around would cause the front tires to be larger diameter (increasing the front ride height by 1/3" and thus increasing the center of gravity of the front of the car - slightly hurting handling dynamics) but it would keep the rear the same as stock. Also popular here is 285/35, but that would reduce the dia. of the rear tires by about 0.8 inches (a fairly substantial change), and slightly reduce the front tires by a few millimeters, and in both cases, cause a larger tire wheel well gap, which is generally considered unsightly.

If you go with 295/35 you'd get closer to a middle ground, but then you have unnecessarily wide tires up front for a normal daily driver (with a marginal increase in rolling resistance and aero drag). They would look great on the rears, though (but still 1/2" smaller diameter than factory).

Remember larger tires may be heavier than the stock sizes as well (profile has a lot to do with it, so don't assume a wider is tire is always heavier - just check the tire data to confirm). And remember due to rotational inertia, extra weight in the tires is the last place you want to add weight to a car.

Another option is 265/40 all the way around. A happy medium with all of the above issues, and at least in regards to Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires, only 0.2" narrower than the 275/40 tires, but several pounds lighter.

I'll probably stick with the stock sizes moving forward when I have to replace the tires on the car because of the reasons mentioned above. The 255/40 R19 stock front tires are fully capable and more than adequate for back road driving. 275/40 R19 in the rear looks decently wide, but not crazy wide, from behind the car.

OP
OP
rain6460

rain6460

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
The 255 front and 275 rear rires that come on the PP1 can indeed be stretched onto 10” wide wheels. Its maybe not optimal (wider tires would be nicer) but its still a bit of a slight upgrade in road feel versus the same tires on your stock 9/9.5” wheels. Doing that lets you get into some nice wheels while saving some initial cost for new tires.

Down the road when you wear those tires out, you’ll want to get a square set of tires to match the square wheels and allow you to rotate freely. Something like a 285/35 fits a 19x10” wheel about perfectly..
Oh so I could actually use them, good to know. I hated the idea of having to get rid of brand new tires and buy new ones! 10-4 on getting the proper size after they wear out.

I have another question for you. I've already purchased a set of hubcentric wheel spacers. Saw a video at CJ Pony Parts where they installed a set on a newer PP1 Mustang with my same factory wheels. Pushes them out about a half inch and looks really nice. But these spacers do not work with all aftermarket wheels. The key is the backs of the wheels need to have recessed areas between the lugs like the factory ones do. I guess I could alleviate the need for them altogether by just moving up to 10" wheels. Even then I could probably still use them as long as they didn't push the wheels out too far. Regardless of what wheels I decide on, if I plan on using the spacers I'll have to make sure the wheels are the right type. Do you have any experience with hub spacers? Thanks.

Jeff

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
any market out there for the black PP1 wheels I’m getting with the car
yes, if 'zero' miles you should be able to get 650-800 for the set.
The PP1 tires are summer tires so re-use depends on your average temps. Are you reliably above 50F every time you drive? Otherwise you'll be buying a different set of tires anyway. You can re-cycle the 255 but you could just as well toss them at the guys with an Ecoboost and fit 275 all around.

SVE has had periodic sales that reprice their $1000/set for $600. That's the time to buy.

spacers esp the bolt-on kind are generally 20mm minimum thickness. You can accommodate wheels that don't have the necessary recess by cutting the bolts shorter. I wouldn't recommend but it's one workaround. Alternatively take your wheels to a machine shop and have them plunge-mill/drill a 5/8" hole centerd in the non-existent recess.

Better to install extra length bolts in the front hub in particular and run slip-on spacers. But now you're talking $200+ solution instead of $80.

OP
OP
rain6460

rain6460

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Thanks!

Yes, I put the tires that my car came with on the new aftermarket 10" wide wheels. The stock tires are Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. For the 255/40 R19 size, Michelin recommends a max. rim width of 10". So the 10" would work fine. For the 275/40 R19, 10" is exactly in the middle of the recommended range (9-11"), so 10" wheels are a perfect fit for the 275/40 tires. https://www.michelinman.com/tires/pilot/pilot-sport-4s.html

There is NO reason not to use your stock PP1 tires w/ 10" wide wheels since they will fit fine if they have tread left on them. Use the stock PP1 tires on the 10" wheels until they need to be replaced. Then at that time you can decide if you want a "square" setup (square means same tire size all the way around). Disadvantages with square is it will likely change the diameter of either your front, rear, or both front and rear tires, causing changes to speedo (rear dia. change), wheel well gaps/ opening changes, and ride height.

I recommend staying close to the original diameter if you can. For example, 275/40 all around would cause the front tires to be larger diameter (increasing the front ride height by 1/3" and thus increasing the center of gravity of the front of the car - slightly hurting handling dynamics) but it would keep the rear the same as stock. Also popular here is 285/35, but that would reduce the dia. of the rear tires by about 0.8 inches (a fairly substantial change), and slightly reduce the front tires by a few millimeters, and in both cases, cause a larger tire wheel well gap, which is generally considered unsightly.

If you go with 295/35 you'd get closer to a middle ground, but then you have unnecessarily wide tires up front for a normal daily driver (with a marginal increase in rolling resistance and aero drag). They would look great on the rears, though (but still 1/2" smaller diameter than factory).

Remember larger tires may be heavier than the stock sizes as well (profile has a lot to do with it, so don't assume a wider is tire is always heavier - just check the tire data to confirm). And remember due to rotational inertia, extra weight in the tires is the last place you want to add weight to a car.

Another option is 265/40 all the way around. A happy medium with all of the above issues, and at least in regards to Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires, only 0.2" narrower than the 275/40 tires, but several pounds lighter.

I'll probably stick with the stock sizes moving forward when I have to replace the tires on the car because of the reasons mentioned above. The 255/40 R19 stock front tires are fully capable and more than adequate for back road driving. 275/40 R19 in the rear looks decently wide, but not crazy wide, from behind the car.
Thank you sir that's a lot of helpful info. I also intended my previous post to Nightmare for you as well. Thanks

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Oh so I could actually use them, good to know. I hated the idea of having to get rid of brand new tires and buy new ones! 10-4 on getting the proper size after they wear out.

I have another question for you. I've already purchased a set of hubcentric wheel spacers. Saw a video at CJ Pony Parts where they installed a set on a newer PP1 Mustang with my same factory wheels. Pushes them out about a half inch and looks really nice. But these spacers do not work with all aftermarket wheels. The key is the backs of the wheels need to have recessed areas between the lugs like the factory ones do. I guess I could alleviate the need for them altogether by just moving up to 10" wheels. Even then I could probably still use them as long as they didn't push the wheels out too far. Regardless of what wheels I decide on, if I plan on using the spacers I'll have to make sure the wheels are the right type. Do you have any experience with hub spacers? Thanks.

Jeff
Chances are the aftermarket 10" wheels will have more aggressive offsets and won't need the extra spacers.

If you have the specs on the spacers (how thick are they exactly?) and which aftermarket wheel you're considering, one of us can run the math and let you know if the aftermarket wheels w/o spacer will be as flush as your current PP1 wheels with the additional spacer.
Sponsored