Sponsored

2020 GT PP1 Wheel Choices...from Ford

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Well I guess I’d need to know more about what offset I’d need.
see my little worksheet. I don't like tires sticking out past the fenders so 9.5ET25 is about as far as I would go. You can play with up to 5mm of spacer no problem. Otherwise you're looking at minimum of 15mm slipon concentric spacer and 1/2" longer studs.

I already know I don’t want to move up to 10”.
Admittedly 9.5 is plenty for street use but 10 lets you run 285 section tires if you really want to. I have multiple sets of wheels and use 9.5 for all-seasons and 10/10 for summer and 11/11 for track. Any of 255/40, 265/35, 275/35-40 work fine on 9.5 rims.

I don't remember if the v705 has the pockets on the backside and I don't feel like taking them off my car to find out. VMR and MRR generally have an offset range of 15-45mm they can machine at time of order but it varies between models. For the v705 it's probably 20-35mm

Yes the Ebay prices I linked to for the v705 are utterly preposterous. Talk about grand-theft auto! For $1000-1200 (much less if you catch a sale) you can find all kinds of flow-formed wheels in 9.5 or 10.
Sponsored

Last edited:

spaz mk will

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Instead I think I’d like to go with 9.5 all the way around.
That's a smart choice. The narrower the wheels and the tires, the less un-sprung weight, which makes a big difference in performance. For best performance and ride, you need to use the recommended width, which for 275s is 9.5", not 10 anyway. Stretched tires is never good IMO, even if it's within the allowed limit, but to each his own. Good luck.

OP
OP
rain6460

rain6460

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1- w/Roush phase 2
That's a smart choice. The narrower the wheels and the tires, the less un-sprung weight, which makes a big difference in performance. For best performance and ride, you need to use the recommended width, which for 275s is 9.5", not 10 anyway. Stretched tires is never good IMO, even if it's within the allowed limit, but to each his own. Good luck.
Thanks guys for all the input it’s really helped out a lot. Sorry it’s taken me this long to respond!

I ended up deciding on a set of Forgestar CF5’s- 19 X 9.5” in gloss black. Just love that 5 spoke look! But I have a question about “offset.” All I really understand at this point is that it determines how far in, or out the wheel extends from the hub? I think! These wheels are +29. I’m curious how these might sit on the car, versus the stock PP1 wheels? In more, out more...not really sure. Thanks!

jeff

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Well, the stock 19x9.5" have a 52.5mm offset, if you can believe the internet. Ha ha. That makes yours 23.5mm more outward, or sticking out more. That's almost an inch.

The front ones have 45mm offset, but are 9.0, so not apples and oranges, but since I doubt you could have the wheels any closer to the inside, the proportional offset in front would be 32.3, meaning the front wheel would be sticking out the full 1/2" wider width of the new wheel, plus the small difference from the new offset (3.3mm more). Doesn't sound too radical, but your wheel bearings and suspension components will be under moderately more stress. And at the point of sticking out, or borderline. Hopefully others with that exact offset can post pictures for you. Good luck.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
but your wheel bearings and suspension components will be under moderately more stress.
nope, they aren't. The clamping surface hasn't moved an iota. Any extra 'stress' is acting on the wheel studs and the studs on the plate. But unless you didn't clamp the assembly together the effect is ~zero. Now the stress risers on the wheel spokes themselves will be different but again unless the wheels are total crap, the effects are negligible.

OP
OP
rain6460

rain6460

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Yikes Guys! You’ve left me in a thick cloud of dust! I really hope these wheels are going to work for me. I guess I should mention I’m having Ford install a set of Steeda lowering springs. Don’t know if this changes the equation? I was hoping these wheels were not going to poke out from the wells. Is this something I need to be concerned about, with the offset these wheels have?? +29

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
nope, they aren't
It's a longer lever, so it exerts more stress to the entire suspension, including bearings... unless you believe in 'alternative' physics :). But yes, it's obviously minor with that extra offset. Plus the fact he's not using stickier tires, nor wider tires at the rear (only in the front).

Having said that, PP2 Mustangs have 305 tires all around, which exert a lot more stress to the suspension than 255/275 tires on PP1 cars, so the better question is if there's a difference between PP2 and PP1 cars. If not, then the suspension is designed for more stress, and since the tires are not anywhere near 305, the extra stress due to the extra offset shouldn't be an issue. Does anybody know if there's a difference? I imagine PP2 cars must have larger bearings, since Ford doesn't spend a penny on something they don't have to, like a beefier suspension on 'lesser' cars.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rain6460

rain6460

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Hey guys, I could really use a little feedback on my last post. I’m as green as a barrel of broccoli on this stuff, and my nails are disappearing fast! The folks at Carid.com told me these wheels were a guaranteed fit for a 2020 gt pp1 with Brembos, but now I’m a little concerned about those lowering springs. Their not on the car yet because they’re back ordered, soooo any concerns or problems I need to be aware of now? Thanks

jeff

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys, I could really use a little feedback on my last post. I’m as green as a barrel of broccoli on this stuff, and my nails are disappearing fast! The folks at Carid.com told me these wheels were a guaranteed fit for a 2020 gt pp1 with Brembos, but now I’m a little concerned about those lowering springs. Their not on the car yet because they’re back ordered, soooo any concerns or problems I need to be aware of now? Thanks

jeff
A 9.5" ET29 front wheel will sit ~0.9" farther out than the PP1 wheel and will likely fit fine on a lowered car. I run a similarly spaced wheel on a car lowered 3/4" and its fine too.

A 9.5" ET29 rear wheel will also sit about 0.9" farther outboard than a stock PP1 rear wheel and should also be ok. Worst case you may need to dial a little extra rear camber alignment (which you can do with the stock adjustment), but I doubt you'll have a problem.

They'll look killer.

Sponsored

spaz mk will

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Agreed on lowering springs not being an issue. I use a 25mm spacer for my OEM 8.5 inch wheels and I’m not remotely close to fender with a .75 front drop

OP
OP
rain6460

rain6460

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Guys! The nails were almost to the point of bleeding LOL. Whew, now I can sleep good tonight. Everyone has been so helpful here and I've got nothing but gratitude for all of you! Thanks again :)

Jeff

OP
OP
rain6460

rain6460

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Guys! The nails were almost to the point of bleeding LOL. Whew, now I can sleep good tonight. Everyone has been so helpful here and I've got nothing but gratitude for all of you! Thanks again :)

Jeff
Hello Again guys,

Another question just came up I need some input on. I was looking at the listing for the Forgestar CF5 wheels I just ordered, and noticed a disclaimer concerning lugnuts. Evidently they require Conical/tapered lug nuts? They offered an installation package that included lugs and some sort of rings?, but I declined it. Not sure what the rings are for, but I had previously ordered a set of gloss black lugs to match the OEM PP1 wheels. But now that I’m going with the Forgestar’s, I’m not sure if the OEM lugs are of the Conical/Tapered type? Yikes! Should I have ordered the install package? Thanks

Jeff

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Stock lugs are conical 60’ amd these wheels will be the same.... The question is the diameter of the lug nut holes. Stock lugs are pretty wide, and a lot of aftermarket wheels use smaller diameter lugs to fit smaller lug nut holes. I’m guessing thats the case here I can’t tell for sure from the pics.