Sponsored

2019 PP1 Pad & Rotor Upgrade Inquiry

hossman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I have a 19 Roush Stage 3 and it has the PP1 brakes and I noticed slowing down after a high speed Mexico pull the brakes seemed to struggle and were making a thumping sound while slowing down heavy like they were overheating and warped and not a very inspiring slow down situation.

Any pad and rotor suggestions like Powerstop Street Warrior Z26 or something like it worth it?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Outlawtorn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Russ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
Ive just scored 2 pce Baer's front and rear..

20201124_122936.jpg

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I have a 19 Roush Stage 3 and it has the PP1 brakes and I noticed slowing down after a high speed Mexico pull the brakes seemed to struggle and were making a thumping sound while slow down like they were overheating and warped.

Any pad and rotor suggestions like Powerstop Street Warrior Z26 or something? like it worth it?
If your brakes struggled after single "pull" then there is something wrong with them and I would diagnose what it exactly is rather than immediately go for new pads and rotors (stay away from drilled ones like above btw).
PP brakes (assume that's what your cars have) should haven more than enough braking power for a "pull".

OP
OP
hossman

hossman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
If your brakes struggled after single "pull" then there is something wrong with them and I would diagnose what it exactly is rather than immediately go for new pads and rotors (stay away from drilled ones like above btw).
PP brakes (assume that's what your cars have) should haven more than enough braking power for a "pull".
It does have 6 piston Brembo on the front and it was one pull and a heavy stop from about 140 and it was not very inspiring. Thought they would have done better. They stopped fine after that but sure makes me wonder that if it will do this at any high speed panic stop that I have to get on it?

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
I run Z26 pads. They are a downgrade in breaking for performance usage compared to the OEM pads., but good for low dust DD driving. Don't recommend the powerstop rotors for any usage, just stick with OEM if you aren't moving to a 2 piece design like Steeda or Baer.

Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Yep, it sounds like you might want to diagnose the issue first. Those PP1 brakes should have provided good stopping power. They could very well be warped or pads are worn or any of a few other problems. I do run slotted/drill rotors on the street and haven't had a problem. I know some people don't recommend them, especially if tracking.

Qu8Storm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Ruby Red
Vehicle Showcase
I have the power stop z26 pads and they are very good in my opinion. I only had the stock pads on for about 1000 miles after i got the car but they seem to be on par with the stock PP1 pads. I only changed the pads and left the rotors alone. Proper brake in is key.....

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Your last sentence is definitely the right step to get good performance out of them.

I have the power stop z26 pads and they are very good in my opinion. I only had the stock pads on for about 1000 miles after i got the car but they seem to be on par with the stock PP1 pads. I only changed the pads and left the rotors alone. Proper brake in is key.....
Sponsored