GregP27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2007 Nissan Titan; 2010 Hyundai Veracruz; 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP1
Hi,

Can anyone tell me what the thread sizes are for the front 6-piston Brembo brakes and the rear stock brakes bleed holes? In case any of you have not heard of them, I am a fan of Earls Solo Bleeders.

They replace the bleed screw and have a spring-loaded ball inside. You loosen the solo bleeder a couple of turns, and put a clear hose on it going to a catch bottle, and then simply pump your brakes until all the air is gone refill the master cylinder between brakes. The spring keeps the ball pressed down to avoid air intake on backstroke and then back off when the pressure rises to allow fluid/air to pass. Bleeding the brakes becomes an easy one-person job as long as you start with the brake closest to the master cylinder first and then the next, out to number 4.

But ... you need to know the tread spec to order!

Thanks in advance! - Greg
Sponsored

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
I don't know for sure but there is a good chance they are M10x1.0 but I would check with a good Mustang vendor.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
....Bleeding the brakes becomes an easy one-person job as long as you start with the brake closest to the master cylinder first and then the next.....
This is not correct with the Brembo brakes. There's some weird, specific sequence the brakes have to be bled in, or they never get bled properly. Plus, there's six bleed screws on the Brembo brake system.

And FWIW, how often do you intend to bleed your brakes? Are you tracking the car? You have a 2018 and it needs it's brakes bled already?

Last edited:

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First a heads up on my guess regarding bleed screw size. The 2018 shop manual lists significantly different bleed screw torque specs for the 2,4, and 6 piston front brakes.with the 6 piston spec being much higher than the other two. This MAY mean the thread sizes are different. 6 piston spec is 19 Nm (197 lb-in). Rear single piston spec is 11 Nm (97 lb-in)

The shop manual for 2018 LHD says RR, LR, RF, LF with no additional info for the 6 piston Brembos. This is with pressure bleeding which is functionally the same as foot pedal bleeding AFAIK.

I've never heard of starting with the corner closest to the master cylinder, even with Speedbleeders which I've used. It has always been starting with the most distant corner. The idea is to move air in the lines to the most distant corner first. Of course with dual master cylinder systems I'm not sure it really makes a difference.

One thing I learned with Speedbleeders on my formula car was that if the brake lines are completely drained "pedal" bleeding will have difficulty getting the bleeder open because that much air in the lines compresses too much to open the Speedbleeder. In those situations I started with a MityVac type suction bleeder. My guess is a pressure bleeder won't have this problem.

I never bled the brakes on my 2015 or current 2018 GT PP so no experience. I have bled other abs Mustang brakes.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
......The shop manual for 2018 LHD says RR, LR, RF, LF with no additional info for the 6 piston Brembos......
Please note you need that additional info for the Brembos: There are SIX bleed screws on Brembo cars, and the above doesn't acknowledge this. And I am 100% certain about there being a rather weird sequence (something like RF outter, RF inner, LF outter, LF inner, RR, LR) to get the system bled properly.

I have already been through this, so search the internet and find the proper sequence.

Sponsored

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please note you need that additional info for the Brembos: There are SIX bleed screws on Brembo cars, and the above doesn't acknowledge this. And I am 100% certain about there being a rather weird sequence (something like RF outter, RF inner, LF outter, LF inner, RR, LR) to get the system bled properly.

I have already been through this, so search the internet and find the proper sequence.
FYI I'm pretty sure I've seen something like you are describing so I searched my 2018, 2015, and 2012 service manual CD's. Nothing except the basic sequence of RR, LR, RF, and LF in the 2015 and 2018 manuals.

Hit pay dirt in the 2012 manual. The 2012 had a 4 piston Brembo brake option and the manual goes through the bleeding procedure for both "manual" and "pressure" bleeding.

The sequence is still RR, LR, RF, and LF with the added step of bleeding the INNER side of the Brembo fronts before the OUTER side.

I have no idea whether or not there is a "better" way than what Ford specifies in the manuals. I always make at least two complete bleeding cycles.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
FYI I'm pretty sure I've seen something like you are describing so I searched my 2018, 2015, and 2012 service manual CD's. Nothing except the basic sequence of RR, LR, RF, and LF in the 2015 and 2018 manuals.

Hit pay dirt in the 2012 manual. The 2012 had a 4 piston Brembo brake option and the manual goes through the bleeding procedure for both "manual" and "pressure" bleeding.

The sequence is still RR, LR, RF, and LF with the added step of bleeding the INNER side of the Brembo fronts before the OUTER side.

I have no idea whether or not there is a "better" way than what Ford specifies in the manuals. I always make at least two complete bleeding cycles.
I had to take my 2012 Brembo car to a shop to get the brakes bled after replacing a caliper. I and the tech spent about an hour trying the standard sequence, then he went and looked at this tech's/mechanic's site where they share info. He then knew there were two bleed screws he didn't know about, and that the sequence was different than he thought.

I'm 99% sure it started in the front.

Of course, I'm assuming that applies to 2015+ Brembos too.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had to take my 2012 Brembo car to a shop to get the brakes bled after replacing a caliper. I and the tech spent about an hour trying the standard sequence, then he went and looked at this tech's/mechanic's site where they share info. He then knew there were two bleed screws he didn't know about, and that the sequence was different than he thought.

I'm 99% sure it started in the front.

Of course, I'm assuming that applies to 2015+ Brembos too.
Interesting. Thanks.

OP
OP

GregP27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Wow! a lot of information to think about for fitting some solo bleeders! I thank you all for your time and knowledge. Cheers! :-)

canyon ed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ED
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible Premium Auto W/PP1 NVRMADE
Wow! a lot of information to think about for fitting some solo bleeders! I thank you all for your time and knowledge. Cheers! :-)
RE 17 GT So if you were to install new Front Brembos what would the sequence be.?

Sponsored
OP
OP

GregP27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
I imagine that if you installed them, they would come with a manual with that information. But ... just guessing.

juk15gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
magnetic 2015 mustang gt
It is 10m 1.0.....
Ford Performance answered this for me years ago.
Sponsored