Sponsored

2019 GT500 Mustang New Spy Video, Pics, Info

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Using the Mach 1 name on an electric car is a bit insulting to enthusiasts that are well versed on Mustang heritage. Ford has chosen to ignore history in an attempt to draw interest from those that either don't care or simply don't know.

To me, the greatest disappointment is that they couldn't come up with something better to call it. I struggle with believing they couldn't which leads me to believe that somebody high up in management came up with the idea and as such nobody had the opportunity to argue against it.
Sponsored

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
Ford doesn't care much about alienation. Just look at their recent announcement to ditch much of their product line. There are quite a few that were happy with their Ford family sedans. They may go elsewhere now and Ford doesn't really care.

As to Ford offering both an automatic and a manual...when was the last time Ford offered a GT500 with more than one transmission choice (or Cobra for that matter)? They have run with a manual-only for a looong time. The Mustang GT will continue to be offered with a manual choice if you want to row gears and it looks as if there will be a '19 GT350 with one as well. As to the GT500, there wouldn't be any economies of scale benefit if Ford were to split GT500 production between two transmission choices. It would drive the cost of both choices up because production numbers just aren't high enough to offer more than one transmission.

I like manual transmission Mustangs as much as the next guy. I'm not going to shy away from a GT500 that comes with a DCT from Tremec and welcome the performance benefit it may have to offer.
Agree 100%

In other news, I found a recent interview with Jim Owens (Ford Performance Marketing Manager) that Steve Turner from FordNXT did. In it there is a particularly interesting blurb...

http://www.fordnxt.com/features/int...ford-performance-marketing-manager-jim-owens/

Different levels of performance...sounds like there will be some varying levels of track performance available - thankfully. Hopefully the highest level is just an option choice and doesn't have limited availability ala the GT350R.
It sounds like GT500, GT500R to me.... or something like this:
GT500 Street (Base)
GT500 Track (Similar to base, but with better "aero")
GT500R (Similar to track, but with a lower weight, CF wheels, a "small roll-bar", 2 seats and some stuff taken off)

Using the Mach 1 name on an electric car is a bit insulting to enthusiasts that are well versed on Mustang heritage. Ford has chosen to ignore history in an attempt to draw interest from those that either don't care or simply don't know.

To me, the greatest disappointment is that they couldn't come up with something better to call it. I struggle with believing they couldn't which leads me to believe that somebody high up in management came up with the idea and as such nobody had the opportunity to argue against it.
I think that in earlier news (two years ago) some people used to call it "Model-E" since Ford trademarked (and battled) that name.

Last edited:

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
I wonder how many people think its stupid that Ford is cutting sedan production...and voice this displeasure from the seat of their Ford truck!

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
There are many program managers and executives that literally don't care about anything regarding what is in the product other than making the most money. They quite literally say that they will put makeup bars in their CUVs if they'll make money. They don't give a crap about the enthusiast these days. It's a different Ford from even 4-5 years ago. Makes me sad.
Indeed, as a life-long Ford fan, these are unsettling times :(

Here we have Ford building the best Mustang yet, in terms of the "base" GT and Ecoboost, and the GT350, with the GT500 just around the corner (hopefully). And yet I want more..........and Ford could give it, but they won't. They'd rather focus on dull EVs. The future they may be, but to me they're about as exciting as a refrigerator. Build great, exciting cars, and they will sell!

My heart sank when they announced Ford would become a mobility company rather than a car company. That, to me, said product was no longer their most important asset :(

MrBillton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302 LS, 2018 Charger Scat Pack
I wonder how many people think its stupid that Ford is cutting sedan production...and voice this displeasure from the seat of their Ford truck!
Voiced it from the seat of my Charger Scat Pack - I have only driven or bought Fords my entire life and am slowly moving in a new direction. Safe to say they are alienating me as a consumer and don't care.

When it comes to future vehicles purchases (truck, SUV included), I now feel inclined to shop other manufacturers. Throw in the ADM situation here in the Bay Area and I'm about done with Ford.

Sponsored

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
Indeed, as a life-long Ford fan, these are unsettling times :(

Here we have Ford building the best Mustang yet, in terms of the "base" GT and Ecoboost, and the GT350, with the GT500 just around the corner (hopefully). And yet I want more..........and Ford could give it, but they won't. They'd rather focus on dull EVs. The future they may be, but to me they're about as exciting as a refrigerator. Build great, exciting cars, and they will sell!

My heart sank when they announced Ford would become a mobility company rather than a car company. That, to me, said product was no longer their most important asset :(
Hear hear! apart from the life long Ford fan, never hated Ford though. But the direction this company is turning is exactly as you say.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
Agree 100%

It sounds like GT500, GT500R to me.... or something like this:
GT500 Street (Base)
GT500 Track (Similar to base, but with better "aero")
GT500R (Similar to track, but with a lower weight, CF wheels, a "small roll-bar", 2 seats and some stuff taken off)
I would like to see something along those lines. And a GT500R using like the 350R wing, but allows options. Then for the hardcore track guys an “extreme” package with the big wing, canards, no power seats, no back seats, ac and radio delete. More ability to build it your way would be nice

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fast food gained a foothold there.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
The dude is shaped like a lightbulb.

Sponsored

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
Just received this pic from a friend's spouse in Glendale AZ.

:ninja:

*edit* Seeing if she can snag some more, he had it covered for awhile.
I really hope that those headlights are just surrogates and that the actual GT500 will have "blacked out" Headlights (like the ones seen on the teaser video).

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok. Everyone's a winner.

Ford is just testing with the appropriate buying demographic. At least the Recaro's may have more room than in the GT350.
Sponsored