Sponsored

2019 GT350R - tramlining , any suggestions?

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I just bought my 19 with Cup 2’s standard. I understand the sticky thing and it’s relationship to tramlineing or tracking. I am also talking about street use so I am not worried about a small amount of lost grip. It certainly makes you pay attention.
Yeah I think it's just the nature of the beast. Where do you live? Is this an all year round car for you? Or more of a weekend/fun car?

A less sticky tire like an all season or more docile summer tire should tramline less. I don't think you will eliminate it completely, but you can do things to reduce it quite a bit IMO if it bother you that much.

The Cup 2s are not a great street tire. It takes long to heat up, will be bad in cold & cold+wet, doesn't have good treadwear, and it contributes to the tramlining you describe. I see quite a few owners on here (and not saying you are one of them) that don't seem to understand what kind of tire the Cup2 is and thus have unrealistic expectations.
Sponsored

Johnnydarkgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R, 91f150,Lexus GX460 , 1965 Mercury comet cyclone 4speed
Vehicle Showcase
We used to call this “ nibbling “ , in north Idaho where with winter comes those road eating studded tires, we get hollowed out grooves ! You get to choose to go to either side and choose your Steering wheel grip either hard pull to the right or hard pull to the left in the summer dry months. Learning to drive on track tires that are street legal on those roads is an accomplishment and makes tramlining seem easy . PP2’s are track tires that are street DOT approved because they cast some small grooves in them . I just consider my Mustang is mostly set up for track that gets to drive on the street ! it’s a track warrior. If I want no Reminders of how bad ass by car is on the road / track and want something smooth I will just drive my wife’s Lexus . Hope here in Idaho we have our summer fun cars in our winter cars and we all have a truck has four-wheel-drive Because you cannot bring your deer or elk back in the back of a GT 350 R !

Reactions: CD3

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2020 Ford Raptor
I just think if the Pilot SS were good enough for the 18's and down, they're good enough for my 19 for all around use.
There aren't any tracks near me, but there are a lot of twisties.

CD3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clancy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350, 2017 Tundra Pro
Yeah I think it's just the nature of the beast. Where do you live? Is this an all year round car for you? Or more of a weekend/fun car?

A less sticky tire like an all season or more docile summer tire should tramline less. I don't think you will eliminate it completely, but you can do things to reduce it quite a bit IMO if it bother you that much.

The Cup 2s are not a great street tire. It takes long to heat up, will be bad in cold & cold+wet, doesn't have good treadwear, and it contributes to the tramlining you describe. I see quite a few owners on here (and not saying you are one of them) that don't seem to understand what kind of tire the Cup2 is and thus have unrealistic expectations.
Understand, didn’t have any expectations with the Cup2’s, intense tire for all GT350’s, reason why they were only on the R’s prior to 2019.
This is a weekend, afternoon fun car for me. I will live with the Cup 2’s as I don’t want to spend more money. I live 20 miles west of Philadelphia Pa. weather here is OK but I will not be driving the car in the rain. Tires look cool but when the time comes I will replace with something else for sure.

GT30fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2015 F350 4x4, 2019 GT350 , work trucks
Anyone have the SS and 4s both to compare tramlining? Or either ss/ or 4s and have the continentals?

I wonder what trams the least....

Sponsored

CD3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clancy
Vehicle(s)
We used to call this “ nibbling “ , in north Idaho where with winter comes those road eating studded tires, we get hollowed out grooves ! You get to choose to go to either side and choose your Steering wheel grip either hard pull to the right or hard pull to the left in the summer dry months. Learning to drive on track tires that are street legal on those roads is an accomplishment and makes tramlining seem easy . PP2’s are track tires that are street DOT approved because they cast some small grooves in them . I just consider my Mustang is mostly set up for track that gets to drive on the street ! it’s a track warrior. If I want no Reminders of how bad ass by car is on the road / track and want something smooth I will just drive my wife’s Lexus . Hope here in Idaho we have our summer fun cars in our winter cars and we all have a truck has four-wheel-drive Because you cannot bring your deer or elk back in the back of a GT 350 R !
Your 65 Comet Cyclone sounds cool too.

chedder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2017 Raptor SC, 2016 custom crew cab
Actually, you are all wrong. Put some 265/19 tires on like grandparents car and the problem goes away. You want a wide tire for performance, deal with it. 75 y o and still playing.

CD3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clancy
Vehicle(s)
Actually, you are all wrong. Put some 265/19 tires on like grandparents car and the problem goes away. You want a wide tire for performance, deal with it. 75 y o and still playing.
Funny, good for you. We like discussing options on this forum. Members are very helpful. I am sure those of us who bought one of these beasts was not looking for Granny’s car. Keep playing. I am right behind you.

Johnnydarkgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I love the smell of the raw fuel from my carb and the lump of my camshaft in my 65 4speed Mercury comet cyclone but it doesn’t tramline? I miss that ? So how do I get it to tramline like my GT350R? It would complete me !

Reactions: CD3

CD3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clancy
Vehicle(s)
I love the smell of the raw fuel from my carb and the lump of my camshaft in my 65 4speed Mercury comet cyclone but it doesn’t tramline? I miss that ? So how do I get it to tramline like my GT350R? It would complete me !
Would love to see a pic of your Cyclone.

Sponsored

Johnnydarkgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
D6DEF558-1706-424B-A537-EEFDC046402C.jpeg
CD3 my 65 cyclone 4speed with no tramlining
D6DEF558-1706-424B-A537-EEFDC046402C.jpeg
32E9A79C-7B60-49B9-8DA0-C82C8009D1C3.jpeg

dg108

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I think the stickiness of the Cup 2's is a far bigger factor than the width. My GT-R ran tires just as wide and never tramlined like the GT-350. My new all-seasons are just as wide as the cups, no tramlining.