PRTK350

PRTK350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350
It's definitely not acceptable, and it's embarrassing having your brand new car on a tow truck, and it's frustrating dealing with the hassle. But, it is what it is unfortunately. It may simply be a bad batch of parts. Ford assembles the engine by hand, but its up to the suppliers to provide the parts. I don't think this type of catastrophic failure was particularly common before the 2020MY, but of course my observational abilities are limited to anecdotal evidence, mostly on here. So I can't say with confidence.

Sorry to hear about the unforeseen situation, I hope you can sell it quickly and things work out for you in the end. Given the state of the used car market, you'll likely make out just fine, for what that's worth. Performance cars are still hot ticket items that are selling quickly and for more money than usual, and summer is just around the corner.
Yes, it is what it is, unfortunately and I have accepted the reality of the situation. I took care of the car to the best of my ability, and that is all I could have done.
Im not blaming the builders - they’re master craftspeople, probably few of the best at what they do. It’s not their fault if oneof Ford’s suppliers gave them crappy parts. To @rush0024 ’s point - that is what I observed as well - this being more common with the 2020s. But of course, considering mine is an early 2019 build, and that this forum does not give us a representative sample, I am not sure of what is going on.

Yes, I am prepared to take somewhat of a financial bath. I paid $6k for paint correction, polish, a full body PPF and 3 layers of ceramic.

However, the only thing I am worried about is if nobody wants to buy the car because of the swapped motor.

but hey -like you said, it is what it is :) we’ll make the best out of the hand we’re dealt :)
Sponsored

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Saying I want to ‘dump’ the car makes me feel bad haha! :) I still love the car to bits. Best driving experience I ever had.
However - isn’t buyback a legal process? Are you talking about lemon law? Would I need a lawyer? Additionally, this car was purchased in a different state. Not sure if that will complicate matters. Forgive me, I am not too familiar with the legal system.
Is it a great car, sure. . . but you gotta do what you gotta do.

The lemon law wouldn’t apply yet as it usually relates to the vehicle chronically being broken.

A buyback is an arrangement between you and Ford where they acknowledge they sold you something defective and they agree to buy it back for an agreed upon price.

I recommend going to the spyglass in the top right corner (search), type in buyback, and select “in this forum.” Lots of reading with lots of good info awaits should you want/need to go down that road.

OP
OP
PRTK350

PRTK350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350
Is it a great car, sure. . . but you gotta do what you gotta do.

The lemon law wouldn’t apply yet as it usually relates to the vehicle chronically being broken.

A buyback is an arrangement between you and Ford where they acknowledge they sold you something defective and they agree to buy it back for an agreed upon price.

I recommend going to the spyglass in the top right corner (search), type in buyback, and select “in this forum.” Lots of reading with lots of good info awaits should you want/need to go down that road.
@pilotgore ah! I see Thanks for making that distinction.

I will definitely do that.

Ford buying back the car would be ideal, but I’m sure they won’t be too keen on doing that right off the bat. I’ll look a little deeper into the forums. Thanks!

OP
OP
PRTK350

PRTK350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350
Hey quick question for y’all - if the motor is indeed replaced (which increasingly looks to be the likely outcome), would the car still have a clean title? Also would it be considered to have an ‘accident history’? I mean it’s a warranty job right?

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Hey quick question for y’all - if the motor is indeed replaced (which increasingly looks to be the likely outcome), would the car still have a clean title? I mean it’s a warranty job right?
Yes, it’d still be a clean title (aka not “branded” as rebuilt or salvaged.)

The engine replacement would almost certainly show up in a carfax report though, which could potentially impact value. Some care, some don’t.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Hey quick question for y’all - if the motor is indeed replaced (which increasingly looks to be the likely outcome), would the car still have a clean title? Also would it be considered to have an ‘accident history’? I mean it’s a warranty job right?
Title stays clean, not logged as an accident. Will just show up as "engine replacement" on Carfax. And that's only IF the dealer bothers to interface with CarFax correctly so they can get that data. I've seen lots of times where big repairs didn't make it to CarFax. Even accidents.

sox3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350 Performance Blue
@pilotgore ah! I see Thanks for making that distinction.

I will definitely do that.

Ford buying back the car would be ideal, but I’m sure they won’t be too keen on doing that right off the bat. I’ll look a little deeper into the forums. Thanks!

Member #mroad just went through a buyback. Could get some info from him im sure. Search his post.

OP
OP
PRTK350

PRTK350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350

The engine replacement would almost certainly show up in a carfax report though, which could potentially impact value. Some care, some don’t.
Got it. That makes sense.

However, if I am trading it in at a dealer, would they care?

Why I was asking was - I was checking it's value in a few websites (carvana and vroom) and they were asking if the car has a clean title.

OP
OP
PRTK350

PRTK350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350
Title stays clean, not logged as an accident. Will just show up as "engine replacement" on Carfax. And that's only IF the dealer bothers to interface with CarFax correctly so they can get that data. I've seen lots of times where big repairs didn't make it to CarFax. Even accidents.
Ah got it. But then - I will certainly disclose this to the next owner, whether it's on carfax or not. Call me stupid, but I could never live with this bottled up inside me while another 'Stang owner drives it around without knowing.

I was asking because I was checking the resale value of the car on carvana and vroom, and they were asking the title/accident history. I am not sure if this will affect dealer trade in value either.

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
Now here's the strange thing - they push the start button without depressing the clutch (to turn on ignition) and electronics come to life. No check engine light. They plug in their scanner into the OBD2 port, and the car doesn't throw any codes. They then try to start the engine - and it starts up. However it makes this knocking noise - a metallic rattling, clanging noise, seemingly from one of the cylinders.

The service advisor says that they need to keep the car to find out what happened, contact Ford, and come up with a path forward. In the meantime, they have no loaners so I am stuck at home for the most part as this is my only car. I am respectful of their time and bandwidth, but I am super anxious, and cannot wait for them to let me know what is going on. They told me today that they will try to turn the crankshaft manually to check if the engine seized or not, but I have not heard back from them yet.
They must be rocket scientists if they could start the car but then think turning the crank by hand would tell them anything lol... if it was seized, it wouldn't have started.

Sponsored

HEP#15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage Edition L0015
Agree that it would be a clean title. It sucks to have this happen......and we all pray it doesn't happen to me.....but if it's going to happen it's better for it to happen while under warranty. Look at your options and decided what works best for you - new engine and force Ford for an extended warranty (see other posts in the forum) or pursue buyback. If you keep the car drive it and enjoy it!!

Montoya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Do a quick search here for others like me that have received some form of compensation for their trouble with an early engine failure. I received an extended 7 year warranty (100K miles if IIRC) plus a 4 year maintenance agreement. Open up a claim with Ford. You will be contacted by a CSR to help you through the process. Be firm but professional, it worked out for me.

Shawn78600

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
GT350 #K2058
Vehicle Showcase

Unfortunately It will impact value of the car for up to 20 to 25% for sure man, sorry to hear what happened to you car, jus saw the thread, hopefully at the end of the tunnel there is light.
Good luck and keep us posted

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Unfortunately It will impact value of the car for up to 20 to 25% for sure man, sorry to hear what happened to you car, jus saw the thread, hopefully at the end of the tunnel there is light.
Good luck and keep us posted
Although I hear what you’re saying, I have to disagree. I don’t think even in a worst case scenario the value could drop by 20%-25%..... You think having a replacement engine, likely with an extended warranty, devalues the car by $12k-$15k? Seems WAYYYY steep to me, but I’ve been wrong MANY MANY MANY times before.... just ask my wife.

Shawn78600

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
GT350 #K2058
Vehicle Showcase
Although I hear what you’re saying, I have to disagree. I don’t think even in a worst case scenario the value could drop by 20%-25%..... You think having a replacement engine, likely with an extended warranty, devalues the car by $12k-$15k? Seems WAYYYY steep to me, but I’ve been wrong MANY MANY MANY times before.... just ask my wife.
hahaha
The reason i say that is because I jus bought a 2019 myself and when i was in the market for the 350 i came across 2 sellers with the same issue and were asking 20% less than market and I added another 5% for negotiations
Sponsored