Sponsored

2019 and 2020 4" to 8" Screen Upgrade + Drive Mode Toggle Switch Enable Writeup

CricketSP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base Model 10R80
I just noticed my 2020 GT has a boost gauge now, instead of VAC, anyone also experience this ? I guess I should go ahead and boost the sucker uh ?
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I just noticed my 2020 GT has a boost gauge now, instead of VAC, anyone also experience this ? I guess I should go ahead and boost the sucker uh ?
count the spark plugs, are you sure you have 8?
or is this yet another testament to the Fine Upstanding Citizens manning the Kuality Control desk?

CricketSP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base Model 10R80
count the spark plugs, are you sure you have 8?
or is this yet another testament to the Fine Upstanding Citizens manning the Kuality Control desk?
I had VAC in the digital console, I am thinking swapping the 4.2 screen to the 8inch and messing with Forscan did this. Was wondering if anyone else experienced this.

tylersteiner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT
Thanks for this forum, it cleared up the install for me. I did the swap and programmed the toggle switch and it works good. My miles to empty was way off but I think it fixed itself now. I am having some other things going on though. The chime for the door being open, etc is different now, it is more like the 2013 mustangs instead of the new “smoother” sound, and my backup sensor sound is different now. Can anyone help me out with these issues? Also, if anyone knows how to change the sound limit in for scan let me know, on volume 30, the music is not loud. Thanks

04DarkShadowGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I have a 2020 Mustang with the 4” base radio and purchased a screen with the APIM attached, Bezel, and radio from a wrecked 2020 premium.

The APIM was a nav unit. The car play, radio, and everything are working fine. The buttons, AC, etc all works.

There are two issues. The first and less concering since I wont really use navigation since I have CarPlay but the map is basically a 180 degree opposite of what it should be. The arrow is pointing backwards and if I turn right it shows me turning left. It bascially would require me to drive in reverse to function correctly.

The second issue is the volume is much lower than it was before. I can turn it up to 30 and while it is a good volume it is not super loud like it was before.

Should I put the radio portion from my original setup back in and use the screen, apim, and bezel from the premium car? The base radio has a larger amp built in correct since the prem cars have an external amp as well.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
sure the donor didn't come from Australia?
Get an external amp might be the best answer to the audio problem.

04DarkShadowGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
sure the donor didn't come from Australia?
Get an external amp might be the best answer to the audio problem.
I am almost positive it was a USA car, the nav listed PA as the locaton before it moved to my current location.

I really didnt want to put in an aftermarket sterdo system so I put te factory radio back in with the 8“ screen, apim, and bezel and the sound is back to normal.

I believe the navigation thing is a Forscan deal so I will have to do that at some point.

Last edited:

Bobbyavt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I am almost positive it was a USA car, the nav listed PA as the locaton before it moved to my current location.

I really didnt want to put in an aftermarket sterdo system so I put te factory radio back in with the 8“ screen, apim, and bezel and the sound is back to normal.

I believe the navigation thing is a Forscan deal so I will have to do that at some point.
I'm doing same to my car this weekend, what is the stock radio you switched back? I bought used screen, spin, and bezel on eBay. It's from 2020 GT and my car is the same. Will it be normal volume?

racingandfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I have a 2020 Mustang with the 4” base radio and purchased a screen with the APIM attached, Bezel, and radio from a wrecked 2020 premium.

The APIM was a nav unit. The car play, radio, and everything are working fine. The buttons, AC, etc all works.

There are two issues. The first and less concering since I wont really use navigation since I have CarPlay but the map is basically a 180 degree opposite of what it should be. The arrow is pointing backwards and if I turn right it shows me turning left. It bascially would require me to drive in reverse to function correctly.

The second issue is the volume is much lower than it was before. I can turn it up to 30 and while it is a good volume it is not super loud like it was before.

Should I put the radio portion from my original setup back in and use the screen, apim, and bezel from the premium car? The base radio has a larger amp built in correct since the prem cars have an external amp as well.
From my kit.

Optional Programming:
If you have an issue with low volume make this change in the ACM if not already made.
ACM 727-01-01 xx0x xxxx xx
Factory NAV owners - if the compass is backwards check this in the APIM.
Manual Transmission: 7D0-01-02 xx9x xxxx xxxx
Automatic Transmission: 7D0-01-02 xx0x xxxx xxxx

04DarkShadowGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I'm doing same to my car this weekend, what is the stock radio you switched back? I bought used screen, spin, and bezel on eBay. It's from 2020 GT and my car is the same. Will it be normal volume?
When I bought my stuff off eBay it came with the screen, attached APIM, bezel and then actual radio itself. I initially switched to the new radio but it cut volume in half probably. I swapped back to the original radio and keep the new 8” screen, APIM, and bezel. Volume is perfect now.

Sponsored

04DarkShadowGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
From my kit.

Optional Programming:
If you have an issue with low volume make this change in the ACM if not already made.
ACM 727-01-01 xx0x xxxx xx
Factory NAV owners - if the compass is backwards check this in the APIM.
Manual Transmission: 7D0-01-02 xx9x xxxx xxxx
Automatic Transmission: 7D0-01-02 xx0x xxxx xxxx
I really appreciate that info. I will try that when I get the Forscan stuff situated.

Bobbyavt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
When I bought my stuff off eBay it came with the screen, attached APIM, bezel and then actual radio itself. I initially switched to the new radio but it cut volume in half probably. I swapped back to the original radio and keep the new 8” screen, APIM, and bezel. Volume is perfect now.
Thanks for clearing that up, also I read about the importance of syncing your fordpass first. What does that actually mean?

tylersteiner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT
Anyone know anything about the door chime changing? I have an apim error code in for scan saying
“U0238 Lost Communication With Digital Audio Control Module D”

04DarkShadowGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Thanks for clearing that up, also I read about the importance of syncing your fordpass first. What does that actually mean?
The dealer I bought my car from did it for me when taking delivery. Basically you download the ford pass app on your phone and it will ask for the car info and then you just get them to talk. It allows you to remotely lock or unlock your car and if possible remote start it from the app on your phone.

I have not used it once on my mustang but on my escape I have to remote start it.

Oscar6790

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020
Update: I can only speak for the 2020, but no additional wiring is needed. Do not purchase or change your harness if you own a 2020! I purchased a Bezel/Radio/ACM/APIM from a 2019 and it was plug and play.

DO:

If you plan on upgrading your 2019-2020 without utilizing with Forscan, it will work. The only function missing will be the Drive Mode toggle switch. However, you must sync your fordpass PRIOR to installing the new unit. It will not work with the new system. The fix is to pull your dash and reinstall your old radio to sync up as the VIN will not match and you will not get the authentication notification. With Forscan, you can update the VIN and fix this as well.

Upgrade your radio to the newest version of Sync using a USB flash drive. Over the air updates did not work with my system, but your mileage may vary. The update takes about 20 minutes and it is very much so worth it if you are running 3.3 or older.

DO NOT:

Use master reset unless you have no other option. If you reset your radio, it will disable your MyFordPass authentication. Without updating the vin or reinstalling your old radio, there's no way to connect your fordpass to the new system. You will lose the remote start/lock functions on your phone.

The 4" to 8" thread has a ton of good information, but it does not apply to 2019's and 2020's. I've done some research and have decided to do a write up with what I learn throughout the process. I've got my screen/APIM/ACM on the way and it should be here shortly. I will try to document the installation with as many pictures and videos as possible.

What I've learned so far:

The Shelby GT350/GT350R Bezel will not work with a base interior. You have to get the premium bezel. The switches are programmed differently and will not interface correctly.

In previous years, a custom/modified harness is required. However, for a 2020, the plug from the base model is the same.

The USB hub (At least in my 2020) is the correct hub for apple car play.

You can enable drive modes through Forscan if you upgrade to a Premium Bezel. Here's how:

Enabling Drive Mode Selector Toggle with FORScan:

Connect your OBDII Coding Tool to your car and computer. Switch your tool to the HS-CAN feature. Turn your ignition on, but do not start the car.
*I purchased This OBDII Module and it was compatible with windows 10 and my car. No drivers were needed.

Open FORScan and follow the prompts. It will ask you to switch it from HS-CAN to MS-CAN to read the modules in the second position. Do this and press OK.

Click the "Computer Processor" image and select ABS (As Built). Press the blue Play button and let the module load. Find line "760-02-02" and change the following numbers:

xxxx-3xxx (ONLY change the fifth number. Leave the numbers in the X slots be)
If you own a performance package car, change it to xxx-7xxx instead.

Hit WRITE.

Select the STOP button at the bottom of FORScan.

Now select "IPC" on the same list as before under the computer processor. Find lines: "720-06-01" if you have an automatic. Change the code to 6C7F-8000-18B1. If you have a manual, change the code to 786F-0664-1897.

Hit WRITE. Turn off ignition and wait a minute or two. Start the car and enjoy your new toggle switch!
I just did this, after the write up my line lock and launch control were gone. Any ideas as to what could it be? My car is a manual.
Thanks in advance
Sponsored