Adz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ad
Vehicle(s)
Mustang S550
Hi All

this being the only auto car I've ever owned, just a few questions on the auto box I have. 2019 A10 of course!

1. Is it normal for the car to sometimes take at least 3-5 seconds when shifting up and down between most gears? I know its not a DCT, but surely I would have thought it would have been snappier. This happens in auto or using the paddels.

2. Is the transmission whine normal when changing gears? This appears to be noticable when shifting up from 1st to 3rd. And down from 3rd to 1st. Sometimes even when going into 4th. This can be heard inside and outside of the car.

3. As per point.1. Can any mods / tweaks be done to make the shifts quicker?

Again I know its not a DCT, but I would like to improve the response of the box if possible. And it feels embarrassing when driving away from someone and they can hear the transmission whine when changing gear over the roar of the v8.

Thanks
Sponsored

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tacoma, 2020 Miata, MB E350
I am sure others will add more substantive data and I have only researched but from what I have gleaned the A10 can have issues with long shifts and hunting for the correct gear. There seems to be a broad range of issues from barely noticing the issue to numerous dealer trips to try and correct. There have been many posts on the Mustang, F150 and even Chevy forums about the A10 issues. Some however have had no issues. There are folks here who have improved the shifting speed and pattern by a tune. Not sure how a tune will affect the warranty.
You are correct this is Not a dual clutch but an automatic with a torque converter.
I have not decided to leave my PDK for a Mustang but if I did I would want to investigate the A10 much further. It is indeed faster than the manual offered but more expensive to replace if not under warranty.
Will await what others have to say as there are some very knowledge folks here.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Nope.....that doesn't sound right. I'd be taking a trip back to the dealer, if I were you. When you're there, ask to take out an auto demonstrator, if they have one, then you can compare.

I know a number of A10s in the US have had software updates, but I'm not aware of this happening in the UK.

1Bear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Gt Convertible
Hi All

this being the only auto car I've ever owned, just a few questions on the auto box I have. 2019 A10 of course!

1. Is it normal for the car to sometimes take at least 3-5 seconds when shifting up and down between most gears? I know its not a DCT, but surely I would have thought it would have been snappier. This happens in auto or using the paddels.

2. Is the transmission whine normal when changing gears? This appears to be noticable when shifting up from 1st to 3rd. And down from 3rd to 1st. Sometimes even when going into 4th. This can be heard inside and outside of the car.

3. As per point.1. Can any mods / tweaks be done to make the shifts quicker?

Again I know its not a DCT, but I would like to improve the response of the box if possible. And it feels embarrassing when driving away from someone and they can hear the transmission whine when changing gear over the roar of the v8.

Thanks
Hi Y'all,
How about "when shifting from drive to reverse, should it take what feels like 3 seconds to go into reverse"?

Bear

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
My A10, granted in an EcoBoost but still, does not take 3 seconds to shift. Up shifts can be quicker than down but nowhere near 3 seconds. Nor does it whine that I can hear. I can easily hear my far more sedate 4 cy exhaust with no overlaying whine.
When its shifting on its own it can do a little "hunting" and/or jerky in some modes but overall it is pretty smooth.
Have you checked the fluid level yet? It seems like quite a few have come low from the factory.

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Hi Y'all,
How about "when shifting from drive to reverse, should it take what feels like 3 seconds to go into reverse"?

Bear
Mine is pretty much shift and go. I have no noticable lag at all.
Again, have you checked your fluid level?

Helios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen3 Coyote
If you don't have drive mode its possible that you feel like your a10 is slow. I always drive mine in sport+ i really love the way it pass thru each gear instead of skip shifting like in normal mode. And drag mode is the most agressive between gearshift barely no torque management you can feel it through your seat the hit it gives you is like your jumping at each gearshift on your opponent. Also drag mode stop at 7th gear so it never uses 8-9-10. That way your engine is closer to its powerband all the time and less gear to downshift when your flooring it

Helios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen3 Coyote
But i did get mine tuned and returned to stock, not because the power wasnt there. But the transmission tuning is not given to anyone and it wasnt to my taste. Ford really nailed it oem

OP
OP
Adz

Adz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ad
Vehicle(s)
Mustang S550
I've sat with the dealer whilst I insisted he updated the firmware to the latest. I have also disconnected the battery for a few hours, and ran module reset within forscan, but to no avail.

I would say yes it takes probably at least 3 seconds for the car to fully enguage to reverse also.

If im sat stationary and changing between modes (P,R,N,D,S) there is a noticable metalic (almost grinding) noise which sounds like it comes from the rear of the car before the car squats in to gear. I'll see if i can capture the sound. But I thought this was normal.

I have had an engine replacement from 1.5k, but I am fairly certain the shifing issue occurred before then also.

Its definitely not almost instant almost. Changing gears do feel quicker on a spirited drive, when the trans temp is getting warm.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Last edited: