SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
770whp on the stock motor is plenty.

I'd be careful upping to a bigger blower or dropping the pulley down. Unless you have deep pockets and aren't concerned with blowing the motor.

Everyone has different thoughts on what the stock motor can handle (there is always someone else running more power on a stock motor that hasn't killed it yet) , but just my 0.02 I'd keep her as-is for a good while and enjoy this power level before pushing her further. Would be a great shame to lose the motor with so little miles on the current build.
Sponsored

OP
OP
turnswrench

turnswrench

turnswrench
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bowman
Vehicle(s)
F-150, WK SRT
770whp on the stock motor is plenty.

I'd be careful upping to a bigger blower or dropping the pulley down. Unless you have deep pockets and aren't concerned with blowing the motor.

Everyone has different thoughts on what the stock motor can handle (there is always someone else running more power on a stock motor that hasn't killed it yet) , but just my 0.02 I'd keep her as-is for a good while and enjoy this power level before pushing her further. Would be a great shame to lose the motor with so little miles on the current build.
I just want the current engine to last a season, and if it doesn't - it's all part of the plan! The wife is prepped for a short block at the least.

But you may be right, no need to get crazy with winter right around the corner, I suppose.

OP
OP
turnswrench

turnswrench

turnswrench
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bowman
Vehicle(s)
F-150, WK SRT
Trying to put a track visit together on 9/28 to Rock Falls in Wisconsin. I hear it's a small, not amazingly well prepped track, and they are picky during tech in. You are probably thinking then why go, well I'm running out of options up here in the great soon to be white north! To make it worse, it looks like there's rain coming across the midwest right now, so that'll be fun. Going to put my best foot forward and try.

I finally got tired of driving the car up on 2x4s to fit my 3-ton steel floor jack under the Mustang. I got an inexpensive aluminum 2-ton from HF today. It'll help being aluminum as I haul it to events in the future.

JPSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
You got jacking rails under that thing? If not there the best thing I have bought so far, since it goes up and down so much.

Sponsored

OP
OP
turnswrench

turnswrench

turnswrench
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bowman
Vehicle(s)
F-150, WK SRT
Found a deal on a Motion Raceworks parachute mount today and also got in on the pre-order from @beefcake for a hammertone BMR k member. Be sure to check in with Terry to get one.

Looking at the 20% off deal on roll cage kits from FatHouseFabs next, deal ends at the end of Sept. Going to be stuff to do this winter!!

OP
OP
turnswrench

turnswrench

turnswrench
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bowman
Vehicle(s)
F-150, WK SRT
FatHouseFab s550 10pt 8.50 roll cage ordered! ...and a seat bracket and a kirkey seat. More steps underway in the drag build! Thank you to @ben@fatfab for the discount code which runs thru end of September. 20% off! Give them a shout!

Sponsored
OP
OP
turnswrench

turnswrench

turnswrench
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bowman
Vehicle(s)
F-150, WK SRT
I threw in a lightweight seat for them track passes. Maybe a cage one day. Who is doing your install?
That looks awesome, man!! I'm going to have a local company called Patience Metal Fab do the work. They specialize in road racing cages, but have done some mustangs. The owner has been very receptive and the work I've seen gives me confidence.

Some new pieces that came in today:

Ford Performance Tie Downs

tiedowns.jpg

Motion Raceworks parachute mount

parachutemount.jpg

OP
OP
turnswrench

turnswrench

turnswrench
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bowman
Vehicle(s)
F-150, WK SRT
Yesterday was amazing! Story time, buckle up - I'll try not to be too long.

First, thank you to everyone that drops in this thread and offers help or just enjoys the updates.

I installed the tie downs on the car Thursday night in hopes we'd go racing on Saturday. They went on easily and to save you time, the ended up working perfectly. They held the car with no problem.

Friday I called around before work trying to find a trailer to rent to haul the car on Saturday. I didn't want to plan to drive the 2 hours to the track and back in the Mustang without knowing how things would go. Since this was the first outing in the car, I wanted to trailer it. I didn't find a trailer before work, I tried all the normal places without luck. After work, I lucked out and found one for rent about 20 mins away from work and went and snagged it. Things started to come together and it looked like we'd get to go racing.

Friday night we had plans at a friend's house to have a fire, drink some beer, and have a cigar. I managed to leave around 10p, which is a record early night for an event like that, haha. Saturday morning the wife and I were up at 5a to load the car on the trailer down the street at Lowes Hardware (we needed a lit parking lot) to head to the track.

The tow rig is a 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk with the hemi. I was able to pull 75 mph on the highway with no trouble. In an ideal world, I would have liked trailer brakes, but the jeep held up well. It had the car and trailer AND an entire tool box, spare axles, 10 gallons of spare fuel, jack and jack stands, chairs, and so on and so on - she was a heavy load.

towrig1.jpg

We made good time heading into the raceway:

rockfalls5.jpg

After getting in, we unloaded the trailer and went to tech in. They asked me how fast it was, I said I didn't know. He said do not crest 9.99 or 139 mph :) Oops.

My first pass, ran the car in D and it broke up a couple times. You can hear it in the video. I was sure they'd kick me out, but they didn't even say anything:

My second pass, ran the car in S and it pulled much better. The car was pushing thru the brakes at the line. In the video you can see the car lurch on the line. I had to drop rpm and pull it back up. Anyhow, I was for sure they'd kick me out. Again, they never said a thing.

My third pass, ran the car in S again. Had some wheel hop on this pass that got me out of the groove, but it ended up being the best E.T.

My timeslip from pass 3:

timeslip.jpg

Long story short, I need to work on 60' and launching the car. I didn't have a good tire pressure gauge with me, so I had no idea where I was. I regret that a ton. Between that and feeling like they were going to kick me out or I'd wreck and not be safe, we packed it up after 3 passes.

loadingtrailer.jpg

Some additional pics:

rockfalls1.jpg
rockfalls2.jpg
rockfalls3.jpg
rockfalls4.jpg
rockfalls6.jpg

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
That is just awesome !
Love the pics .
I am curious about running with D vs S .
Did you pull the “plug “?

I have been a been a best of 9.7@ 139 mph in my 18/whipple(also tunes by Rob) and found it runs faster with the plug pulled (I have compared back to back).

I have almost always left it in D but may I should try S ?
The very occasional times I forgot and left it in S it down shifts preset harshly at the end of the track when you slow down .

Plans for a converter I would assume .

OP
OP
turnswrench

turnswrench

turnswrench
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bowman
Vehicle(s)
F-150, WK SRT
That is just awesome !
Love the pics .
I am curious about running with D vs S .
Did you pull the “plug “?

I have been a been a best of 9.7@ 139 mph in my 18/whipple(also tunes by Rob) and found it runs faster with the plug pulled (I have compared back to back).

I have almost always left it in D but may I should try S ?
The very occasional times I forgot and left it in S it down shifts preset harshly at the end of the track when you slow down .

Plans for a converter I would assume .
I left the plug connected. Just held down the traction control button to disengage it and advancedtrac. I didn't feel the computer fighting me any, but perhaps pulling the nannies plug would have bought me some time. I only made the one pass in D but I always do my logs in S for Rob to review, so any optimization that S brings would be there I suppose. S does bring the heat at the end of the track with the down shifts lol, need to be prepared for that or flip to D/neutral.

I think a converter would be good for a while, long term either glide or turbo 400.
Sponsored