Sponsored

2018 Mustang GT Manual Transmission issues.

Nate malchin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp2
I have a 2018 PP1 with a manual transmission and don’t know if I have an issue with it. The car drives great but the transmission just feels like something is wrong with it. When cruising in gear I hear a whirring sound with acceleration. The sound is slight but noticeable. When I push in the clutch sometimes the tranny seems to clank like I just released some pressure on something. Also, the trans just seems to be loud in general. Shifting, cruising, ect. It’s also weird to be because it seems like my trans is bipolar lol. One day it will drive near perfect with little to no noise, smooth shifts then the next it will be noisy and clanky. I’m just trying to see if anyone else has experience this issue or if this is all normal. I know the MT82 isn’t the best tranny out there so that may play a factor in it as well.
Sponsored

CoachFarb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Louis
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT 50 Years Limited Edition
I just changed my transmission fluid to BG SYNCHROMESH from OP Performance. It has COMPLETELY CHANGED the smoothness of every shift. My car used to be very rough shifting from first to second and second to third and I only have 4,600 miles on my 2015. It's fantastic now.

Eyesac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Isaac
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP
I don't know what the issue is from your description, but I just replaced a clutch and flywheel in my 2020 with 30k miles because the dual mass flywheel broke, causing noise and vibration. Many issues with this clutch and trans for me so far. Good luck!

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I don't know what the issue is from your description, but I just replaced a clutch and flywheel in my 2020 with 30k miles because the dual mass flywheel broke, causing noise and vibration. Many issues with this clutch and trans for me so far. Good luck!
What clutch and flywheel did you replace the factory clutch with?

Conman1138

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Connor
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 6MT - Ruby Red
I have a 2018 PP1 with a manual transmission and don’t know if I have an issue with it. The car drives great but the transmission just feels like something is wrong with it. When cruising in gear I hear a whirring sound with acceleration. The sound is slight but noticeable. When I push in the clutch sometimes the tranny seems to clank like I just released some pressure on something. Also, the trans just seems to be loud in general. Shifting, cruising, ect. It’s also weird to be because it seems like my trans is bipolar lol. One day it will drive near perfect with little to no noise, smooth shifts then the next it will be noisy and clanky. I’m just trying to see if anyone else has experience this issue or if this is all normal. I know the MT82 isn’t the best tranny out there so that may play a factor in it as well.
My experience has been the same with the MT-82 in my 2018. The driveline is very temperamental, it feels like it drives differently every day, and sometimes slack is very apparent. It hasn't gotten any worse over 5 years of ownership, and I've seen plenty of people with the same complaints, so I've just lived with it. My old 2016 WRX would do the same thing, especially between hot and cold months.

Based on all that, I don't think there's anything wrong with your car, but there are mods you can do to make the experience better.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Agreed ^^. Mods can range from mild to wild and cheap to very expensive.

Eyesac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Isaac
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP
What clutch and flywheel did you replace the factory clutch with?
Mcleod RST and flywheel, it's a little racey, tiny bit of chatter at times and a little vibration but it's done and not broken anymore lol

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Mcleod RST and flywheel, it's a little racey, tiny bit of chatter at times and a little vibration but it's done and not broken anymore lol
Copy that. What style of driving do you do (street, track or drag)?

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I’d venture to say that I probably have one of the most expensive MT82-D4 transmissions on the road. I really got out of control during the build and kept talking myself into doing more and more to make it stronger, until the cost was through the roof. So far it’s treating me very good and I hope it lasts a very long time.

Eyesac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Isaac
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP
I’d venture to say that I probably have one of the most expensive MT82-D4 transmissions on the road. I really got out of control during the build and kept talking myself into doing more and more to make it stronger, until the cost was through the roof. So far it’s treating me very good and I hope it lasts a very long time.
Mostly street, and I drive...spirited at times (I live in the Sierras with some of the most amazing mountain roads and go through about 1.5-2 sets of UHP tires per year. I did a clutch & an MGW shifter, I don't get lock out, but I still have issues with 3rd gear occasionally, maybe the syncro is trashed, idk.

Thought about a Ben Calimer and I've fantasized about a T56 swap, but unless I explode this MT82-D4 I would have a hard time with a pre-emptive $7k trans swap.

What clutch do you have, is yours a Calimer, does it shift as good as a good T56? I ask because I don't care about the torque rating, I'm not a boost guy, I just want a good time lol

jmagnus87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Magnus
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Comp Orange '22 Chevy Silverado
What clutch do you have, is yours a Calimer, does it shift as good as a good T56? I ask because I don't care about the torque rating, I'm not a boost guy, I just want a good time lol
If you're not worried about boost nor ever plan to, the transmission mount insert it's very cheap and you can get the shifter mount bushing for very cheap as well. Both will improve an otherwise stock car considerably. But knowing what i know now, i wish i bought the barton because it can mount to the transmission directly.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Mostly street, and I drive...spirited at times (I live in the Sierras with some of the most amazing mountain roads and go through about 1.5-2 sets of UHP tires per year. I did a clutch & an MGW shifter, I don't get lock out, but I still have issues with 3rd gear occasionally, maybe the syncro is trashed, idk.

Thought about a Ben Calimer and I've fantasized about a T56 swap, but unless I explode this MT82-D4 I would have a hard time with a pre-emptive $7k trans swap.

I have a Ram Pro Street cerametallic twin disc. It shifts very good. I haven’t driven a Mustang with a T56 for many years, but from what I remember they seem to shift similarly.

Mine isn’t a Calimer. I actually built it myself. Things can definitely get expensive depending on what you do. Here’s the link to my build, so you can see what it entailed.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/mt82-d4-rebuild-thread.176240/

Eyesac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Isaac
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP
If you're not worried about boost nor ever plan to, the transmission mount insert it's very cheap and you can get the shifter mount bushing for very cheap as well. Both will improve an otherwise stock car considerably. But knowing what i know now, i wish i bought the barton because it can mount to the transmission directly.
I did the mount insert first, didn't change anything for me. In fact the dual mass flywheel ended up coming apart, huge vibrations at all RPMs on my way home from work one day. I was going to post a really whiny post about how much I hate Ford but haven't gotten around to it lol.
Sponsored