2018 Mustang Exhaust mode video

Nathank

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT Premium
This is dumb. If an exhaust has the option to be multiple volume levels, that's giving you more choice and flexibility. That isn't a bad thing. If you don't want yours to ever be quiet, then don't make it quiet. Adding an option for quiet does not hurt the "Muscle Car DNA", it makes the car work better for some of its owners!

Some of us would like to start the car in the garage at work without our coworkers thinking we're douchebags, and then make it loud when we're out having fun. Those options do not cause anything bad to happen to people who like their cars loud, it's an incremental gain for those who want flexibility.

The active exhaust is on a stock exhaust system. First off, how many noise complaints are you getting from the stock exhaust??

Secondly, if you're putting an aftermarket exhaust on the car to make it loud, then you can buy an aftermarket exhaust with the active feature now.

Thirdly, is there any guarantee that this feature will work with aftermarket exhausts? If so, probably not going to be cheap, and possibly might cost the same as buying an aftermarket exhaust with active exhaust feature today. Which means you're spending additional money on a pointless feature that's already available.

Fourthly, (and this is the big one that people don't seem to get) the only way active exhaust is important on this car is if the stock exhaust is already super loud. Because the STOCK EXHAUST NOW ISN'T LOUD enough to justify this feature.

Fithly, (isn't a word, I've exhausted my points) I'm running an aftermarket exhaust, no complaints only compliments.
Sponsored

eleanor5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MY
I was excited for this but now it just seems like a quiet-down mode? I wanted something similar to the GT350 where you can go from normal to loud. This seems to go normal to quiet. Maybe i'm wrong.

crs2879

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I was excited for this but now it just seems like a quiet-down mode? I wanted something similar to the GT350 where you can go from normal to loud. This seems to go normal to quiet. Maybe i'm wrong.
It has 4 settings:
- Quiet
- Normal
- Sport
- Track
I am Highly confused by the negative comments. My sense is that if Borla, Corsa, MF, etc released this, there would not be as much negativity toward it. Porsche has had active exhaust for years. GM has too but only a 2-mode. Ford's is a 4-mode and I believe you can even add custom sound tunes......the negativity is baffling.....simply don't buy it....it's not being forced on anyone.

DKano

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
The article didn't say it but if these "valves" are right on the exhaust then this feature becomes useless when you put an aftermarket exhaust or am I missing something? Like others have said, don't think a lot of neighbors are complaining about the stock exhaust being too loud! Well, I guess the new 18 GT owners will have the option to start up in Ecoboost mode! lol

Sponsored

eleanor5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MY
It has 4 settings:
- Quiet
- Normal
- Sport
- Track
I am Highly confused by the negative comments. My sense is that if Borla, Corsa, MF, etc released this, there would not be as much negativity toward it. Porsche has had active exhaust for years. GM has too but only a 2-mode. Ford's is a 4-mode and I believe you can even add custom sound tunes......the negativity is baffling.....simply don't buy it....it's not being forced on anyone.
I saw that but we really have no explanation for how any of the modes will compare to a normal factory exhaust or even an aftermarket one. Or if a catback is even compatible with the new mode.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Sure we do. Pretty much every performance car that comes with variable exhaust valves always has a mode LOUDER than the typical standard exhaust the car would come with prior. That's the whole purpose, to offer more of a "sport" feeling depending on your driving modes/mood.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Quiet mode is for millennials wearing man-buns. Sport mode gives me a boner.
I'm a millennial. My last Mustang was louder than yours. I guarantee it. Ask me how I know. And I don't have a man bun. Sorry to disappoint. And on my current car, I can't remember the last time I used normal mode except for passing a cop or driving home super late at night where I'm an easy LEO target.

crs2879

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Generally the valves are contained within the muffler itself....otherwise would be tough to modify the sound. I think it was Stacy David's "Gearz" show recently he highlighted an aftermarket muffler similar to this. Rather than simple "open" or "closed", the valve position is variable and even included a phone app that allowed a fairly wide range of adjustment......don't recall the manufacturer but likely not tough to track down.

OP
OP
disneyfun1

disneyfun1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Art
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Prem Calif Special, 2021 Mustang Mach-E
its hard to believe how much debate there is over this.

As the former owner of a 2016 GT350 with the active exhaust, i think this is great for the 2018 and i ordered with mine.

i leave for work anytime between 10 pm and 1 am. i would always leave my gt350 in normal mode as i started the car and left my house, once on the main street, i flipped it to sport and it was much louder. in the 2018, i will probably never use quiet mode, but at least leave it on normal when i go to work so early, or late, however you want to classify it, and once again, will open it back up when i hit the streets. it just gave it extra rumble and really came alive when you got on it. in the gt350, as soon as you put it in 6th gear, it went to normal mode anyways by itself so it would not drone on freeway, putting it in 5th opened it back up if it was in that mode.

if you dont like it, dont buy it go your own route if that is what you choose. some of us dont plan to modify the car much if at all. ill probably keep the 2018 until i see the specs on the hybrid, then decide if worth keeping or trading in, so i myself dont spend extra money to really modify it if im not getting anything back.

Sponsored

eleanor5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MY
If it was a simple $800 option that would be fine but another $2000 for 301A or $4000 for 400A is also required.

crs2879

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
As the former owner of a 2016 GT350 with the active exhaust, i think this is great for the 2018 and i ordered with mine.
If you don't mind the question....why did you sell your GT350? I have desired one since they were released but can't stomach the up-charge $ over the '15 GTPP I have in the garage. Have not seen many who traded-out...and not gotten another 350. Just curious.....

lowatts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
I'm hoping the 2018's don't have new mechanicals teething pains, so I can buy one and order this variable valve exhaust with it. For me, the key to its worth is the sound range. Too narrow a range and it won't be worth the price. The video gives the impression that the factory 2015-17 exhaust would fall between Quiet and Normal of the 2018, while Sport and Track would be louder. That works for me, keep it on the low side when I need to keep a low profile, and open it up when I need some ear candy.

OP
OP
disneyfun1

disneyfun1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Art
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Prem Calif Special, 2021 Mustang Mach-E
If you don't mind the question....why did you sell your GT350? I have desired one since they were released but can't stomach the up-charge $ over the '15 GTPP I have in the garage. Have not seen many who traded-out...and not gotten another 350. Just curious.....
for me personally, i was tired of driving a manual which i have done my entire life, and really wished the car had more toys on it, like the reverse sensors, Mirror alerts, etc. then i heard the 10 speed auto was coming, so i got out of it while the value was still high to be ready for the 2018 and i can get it with the toys i want and it will shift fast due to the 10 speed. ive kept up on them, and have read a lot of them have issues too. Mine i noticed did use oil like others have, which is strange. luckily nothing else happened as long as i had it. I was not happy that i had the 2016 and then in 2017, they came out with the trans and rear coolers as stock items, and not have to be on the track package, which i ordered the tech package. They knew it should have those coolers on it and those of us who didnt get them went to limp mode sometimes just driving it around. It actually got traded back in last week and it was offered back to me from the dealer, but i decided to order the 2018 instead, though it was tempting for a bit, i knew once the new one came out, i would have wanted that.

david borla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
We'll have valved aftermarket systems available that offer multiple sounds within the same exhaust and we'll also have non-valved systems available. Everything we offer will sound noticeably different from stock in all modes.

Watch out for our newest, patented technology to be offered on the 2018 Mustangs as well. It's the perfect platform to debut this technology.

Some like valves, others despise them. Regardless of which side you're on we'll have something that meets your needs.
Sponsored