Sponsored

2018 Mustang Ecoboost Blown Head Gasket?

Adf020

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang ecoboost premium automatic convertible
I have recently been seeing white smoke come out of my exhaust when I start my car in the morning. It is garage-kept. The car has been well maintained. I have a tune on it as well as an aftermarket cold air intake.

Due to the smoke, I purchased one of those chemical head gasket leak testers where the fluid will turn from blue to yellow if you have exhaust gasses in the coolant reservoir. My result is in the image below. It isn't yellow, but it isn't blue either.

I was going to buy a gas analyzer to test for hydrocarbons, but they are $1,000+. What is my best bet here? Do you think I have a head gasket leak with a car so new?

I doubt ford would warranty it due to the tune on it.

If you think I need a replacement gasket, can you link to how to preform the DIY for the 2018 mustang ecoboost? Can't find any videos on it.
Head Gasket Test.jpeg
Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
If there is white smoke out the tail-pipe there should be coolant in the oil. So check your oil.

How's the weather been in your part of Texas?

OP
OP

Adf020

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
It has been cold, but it is garage kept and the garage doesnt get that cold. Check the video out, this is my car this morning. I want to say the exhaust had a "sweet" smell but honestly I don't know what normal exhaust smells like to compare.

OP
OP

Adf020

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
I did check the oil, nothing off about it. I am sending it in for an oil analysis, but that can take a week or 2.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
It has been cold, but it is garage kept and the garage doesnt get that cold. Check the video out, this is my car this morning. I want to say the exhaust had a "sweet" smell but honestly I don't know what normal exhaust smells like to compare.

That looks normal.

I think you're freaking out over nothing. If there's no coolant in the oil, or oil in the coolant, you're fine.

Mustanggt5.02011

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GTCS

That really doesn't look to excessive. Looks like normal smoke in a cold environment.

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 6 spd
I think it's normal. On my wife's car, I see lots of white smoke coming out in cold weather, early in the morning dark when the car starts. Your white smoke in the video is very mild compared to my wife's car.

OP
OP

Adf020

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
I thought it was normal too, but I had read about head gasket failures on the ecoboost engines, so I bought the chemical test. Im more concerned about the smoke + the chemical test rather than just the smoke.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I thought it was normal too, but I had read about head gasket failures on the ecoboost engines, so I bought the chemical test. Im more concerned about the smoke + the chemical test rather than just the smoke.
I've read some of your other posts.

You're a bit of an obsessive. Just relax. If you're worried, take the tune off, put the OEM intake back on, drive it around for a few days, then take it to the dealership.

I see no issues. That's not "smoke" I'm seeing, just normal cold-start condensation.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Adf020

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
I've read some of your other posts.

You're a bit of an obsessive. Just relax. If you're worried, take the tune off, put the OEM intake back on, drive it around for a few days, then take it to the dealership.

I see no issues. That's not "smoke" I'm seeing, just normal cold-start condensation.

You got me there, I am obsessive over it. I want this car to last for a long time and I want to know everything going on with it. Rather than just write it off though I thought to just get everyone's opinion on it.

What could be a reason the chemical test showed the result it did?

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
What could be a reason the chemical test showed the result it did?
It's shit. Useless. Something less than accurate.

You either have oil in the coolant and coolant in the oil, or you don't.

Is there anything you've done that you haven't told us, that would blow the head-gasket? Towed a 4 ton trailer through the desert with the temp-gauge needle pegged on High for hours?

OP
OP

Adf020

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
No, I mean I have a moderate tune on it, can get up to 22.5 psi, but I don't usually gun it very often. No track time or anything like that. I just have read articles of the focus and the mustang ecoboost having head gasket problems.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
No, I mean I have a moderate tune on it, can get up to 22.5 psi, but I don't usually gun it very often. No track time or anything like that. I just have read articles of the focus and the mustang ecoboost having head gasket problems.
IIRC, that was because the wrong head-gaskets were installed on the wrong motors. I'm pretty certain they have that straightened out. And if there is an issue, just take it in for warranty repairs.

OP
OP

Adf020

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
I called them and have it set up for a head gasket leak test. I am just worried they will blame the tune or something. If they do I will want to do the repair myself to save cost. Anyone have the instructions to change the head gasket if it comes to that?
Sponsored