Ford 18

Ford 18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2018 Ruby Red Magneride/Recaro Seats
With the 2018 my understanding is that it is still a good idea to fit an oil catch can.
Any recommendations ?
I'm also looking at a Mishimoto black aluminium coolant tank to replace the ugly plastic tank.
Sponsored

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
With the 2018 my understanding is that it is still a good idea to fit an oil catch can.
Any recommendations ?
I'm also looking at a Mishimoto black aluminium coolant tank to replace the ugly plastic tank.
Yes, definitely a good idea to fit a catch can. I use an early JLT one, works really well, easy to unscrew and empty

Hellman109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible (See my garage)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm hoping the magneride suspension will alleviate the need for a suspension upgrade, and the sound bites I have heard of the new muffling system sound fantastic.
US people say that Magneride is good for the street but not great on the track. So all depends on your use case.

As for the exhaust, yeah way better on all models thats for sure.

As for catch can, the 2018 GT needs it way less as the port injection will spray down any blow by and stop the oil buildup. Its still an issue for the unchanged Ecoboost engine though, especially with its forced induction.

I know of one car who made the ride worse by a bad suspension setup, but he swapped it out for coilovers and all good now. Some cars I dont like the appearance of, but its also not my car so do what you want.

Egghead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Vehicle Showcase
Any recommendations ?
Def a catch can , as matt said the JLT is the easiest to install and maintain, Mishimoto coolant tank has a sight tube and perfect fit not to mention the look!

MrWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
MY2018 Magnetic Auto GT
Now you're in here spreading the same rubbish. You stand a much better chance of making your car much better. Stock mustangs don't handle well, don't sound, or look, or go as well as they could, that's a fact. Hence it's one of the most supported platforms for aftermarket parts.

You sound like someone who's never modified a car, scared to do so
I've got an 18 with A10 and Magnerride (here in UK)

I've added the FP GT350 springs and CB005 kit. Although the car was good before these mods, it feels even better/more planted now.

The springs, although slightly stiffer (around 10%) is still very smooth and gives less roll when around corners at brisk speed. The mild drop (approx. 20mm all round) hasn't upset the Magneride one bit and the ride height is that much nicer.

The CB005s to me are a no-brainer as the cradle on these cars need all the help they can get (even with Magneride).

I will be looking at headers and a tune in the future, as well as a new set of wheels (P51s) and squeezing in a set of MPSS 345s in the back!

Sponsored

Bagration

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT delivered 8 May 17
So...

I am not a track day guy and this is my long distance and semi daily drive. For what it's worth...I ordered my S550 in May 16 and it was delivered in May 17. What that meant was that I had some idea of what people were doing to their cars, what the 'early adopters' were saying about their cars and what the thoughts were about modifications and upgrades. This was the first 'high performance' sports car/muscle car I have ever owned and so:

1. I did heaps of research - read everything I could, went to a couple of club days here in Canberra and talked to owners and looked at and in their cars and talked to them about what they loved and what they didn't love so much. I watched just about every CJ Pony Parts instal video and post drive review.

2. I talked to the after market folks here in Australia. I can't recommend Blue Power Racing and the folks behind American Speed highly enough. They were incredibly generous with their time and gave me some brutally honest answers to my naive questions. I am convinced they did themselves out of sales in a couple of cases but that's not what the good folk are about. Listen to them.

3. I developed a kind of 'design brief' for myself. What I wanted to do with the car and in what order. I focussed on the mechanical rather than the cosmetic in the first instance. I decided up front that I would never supercharge the car - because the pony (for me) has more horsepower than I have driving talent.

4. At delivery I had the UPR oil catch can installed (thank you to all who took part in the group buy here!) and an aftermarket front number plate holder installed. That was it.

5. I drove the car for 6 months so that I would have a point of reference for modifications that I would subsequently do. 12 months later I have the following additional aftermarket components installed:

a. BMR Cradle lockout kit and vertical links.

b. Injen Cold Air Inlet and throttle body spacer.

c. AWE 3 inch Cats back exhaust.

d. Sound tube delete (at the firewall).

Next up is completion of the suspension upgrades that I am comfortable with: Vogtland Coilover kit, swaybars and links (Whiteline or BMR) and bearings. After that its Headers and tune. Wheels and tires when the current rubber wears out. After that its lighting and cosmetic changes (where my wife will tell me what we are doing :))

Its a three year 'labour of love' and I'm enjoying the experience along the way. Keeping on topic I suspect that the 18 - 19 will address a lot of what I have done to the car - but If I were buying the 18 - 19 I would be following a similar path. I would also note that by doing my research and pacing this out I've probably saved in the order of $4K - $6K.

My two cents worth

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ford 18

Ford 18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Great information , Tom
Definitely fitting the FP GT350 springs to mine now. I was beginning to think that the Magneride might need re-calibration but on your experience I wont worry now.
CB005 kit looks a given also.
Be interested to see how you go with rear tyre width too. I'm probably fitting Velgen VMB9 20x9 Fr with 275/35R20 and 20x10.5 R with 295/35R20

RSPEC-015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Territory & Mustang GT
Hi Paul,

Nice writeup.

Just on the subject of headers, have you done any research on this yet? I'm interested as I have the same AWE cats-back system that you have. I might send a query to Josh of AWE.

I've held off doing any more to my car at the moment as I've got my name down for a Bullitt.

With the Shockworks, the left rear suspension noise has been a lot better since the 2-yearly service was done but Sinclair Ford have got Brett from Shockworks on to it as my car is not the only one with the left rear suspension noise.

Cheers,

Jim

Bagration

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Hi Paul,

Nice writeup.

Just on the subject of headers, have you done any research on this yet? I'm interested as I have the same AWE cats-back system that you have. I might send a query to Josh of AWE.

I've held off doing any more to my car at the moment as I've got my name down for a Bullitt.

With the Shockworks, the left rear suspension noise has been a lot better since the 2-yearly service was done but Sinclair Ford have got Brett from Shockworks on to it as my car is not the only one with the left rear suspension noise.

Cheers,

Jim
Hi Jim (Should have credited you for some of the research....)

So I think the American Racing Headers are the candidate right now (It's where my research has led me to date). I spoke with the folks at Street Fighter who said that there would possibly (probably) be a need to have an adapter manufactured to fit their headers to the AWE system. But that was more because the Street fighter headers were designed to fit their own Cats Back System.

I believe that because the AWE system fits to the standard connector to the headers then the connection is (potentially) universal. American Speed (Oz site) sells the ARH products.

Good to hear that the shockworks problems have been sorted - they look like a great upgrade.

The Bullitt is a 2019 yes?

Cheers

Paul

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
Paul, just a quick one...why the BMR lockout kit and not the Steeda?

Steeda is simpler, less obvious and cheaper (iirc).

Sponsored

MrWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
MY2018 Magnetic Auto GT
What are people’s thoughts on the XForce headers?

A number of guys over here say they feel they fit better then the RHD Kooks

Bagration

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Paul, just a quick one...why the BMR lockout kit and not the Steeda?

Steeda is simpler, less obvious and cheaper (iirc).
Hi there

There is a very large thread in the wider forum about both kits - which for me boiled down to a couple of things. Firstly there was (at the time) a fair number of Australian owners who had fitted the BMR kit and had nothing but praise for it. Secondly the BMR kit was roughly the same price (at the time). When you added Overseas postage (because nobody stocked it here) it seemed a reasonable bet. I suppose thirdly they basically do the same job so you could absolutely go either way.

With the car with about 5K driving with the BMR kit installed I'd buy it again. But Steeda do some very nice bearing kits that BMR don't do and they are on the list to install. I also understand that the vertical links from Steeda are also very good. My advice (for what its worth) is at least do the vertical links (there are lots of good quality vendors beyond BMR and Steeda) and the lock out kit at the same time - a noticeable difference.

OP
OP
Ford 18

Ford 18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Now that I almost have my car I started looking for Velgen VMB9's plus Michelin MPS 4S tyres to replace the standard wheels and tyres.
I've been told the wheels have been out of stock for 3 months.
Anyone know where I can get a set of Velgen VMB9's in gunmetal ?

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
autoware?

Have you looked at the Koya SF04? Similar design, but you can get a wider setup, with a better offset, keep the wheels as square as possible for handling

The velgens by comparison are only stock width in the front, and quite a conservative offset compared when compared to the rear. Depends on the look you want though, looks are subjective after all

OP
OP
Ford 18

Ford 18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Matt - Yes - Autoware, Brett thinks it may be 6-8 weeks before they are back in stock.
I will look at the Koya SF04 . I like the dish of the Velgens in the rear
Sponsored