Sponsored

2018+ hood vents

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
I just ordered the RTR vents. The Air Design ones look great but I think a lot of crap will build up and don't want to have to remove them all the time to clean them. The RTR vents also seem like they MAY actually improve cooling since they seem to create more of a low pressure area to draw more air out. Subtle but more aggressive look than factory, too
Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
You will see them more then you think, the honey-cone has larger holes.

RTRs are the cats meow, I shopped the extorters for a while. I like the function and the aggressive style that does not look like an after thought.

Cheers,

IMG_0089.jpeg

Last edited:

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase

RonsterGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
‘22 5.0 GT/‘16 F150 XLT/‘21 Explorer Platinum
Anybody know if the faux grills are glued in or taped on? Has anyone tried removing them?

IMG_20210126_152341.jpg
IMG_20210126_152407.jpg
They are taped in with a 3M-type 2 sided tape.
I ordered the vents in gloss black from ford accessories and the paint job by airdesign was shitty. Returned them and reordered. Same thing. So I heated up the honeycomb grille inserts with a hair dryer and removed them with a trim removal tool. Took some elbow grease but they came out.
Cleaned up the body of the vent and took everything to the paint shop to be redone in G1 Absolute black. Getting vent body and all honeycombs done in the G1.
Should be ready next week. Will post pics when done.

Sponsored

DolomiteGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertable
They are taped in with a 3M-type 2 sided tape.
I ordered the vents in gloss black from ford accessories and the paint job by airdesign was shitty. Returned them and reordered. Same thing. So I heated up the honeycomb grille inserts with a hair dryer and removed them with a trim removal tool. Took some elbow grease but they came out.
Cleaned up the body of the vent and took everything to the paint shop to be redone in G1 Absolute black. Getting vent body and all honeycombs done in the G1.
Should be ready next week. Will post pics when done.
That's awesome to hear! I was afraid they were glued in and didn't want to wreck them prying them out. Thanks for the reply!

RonsterGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
‘22 5.0 GT/‘16 F150 XLT/‘21 Explorer Platinum
That's awesome to hear! I was afraid they were glued in and didn't want to wreck them prying them out. Thanks for the reply!
Yeah, they take some effort to remove, but they come out. The trim tool I used made a few minor dimples, but I sanded them out gently with #600 then #1500 grit sandpaper. Be firm but gentle (that's what she said - lol sorry, couldn't resist) removing grilles.
I can't put my finger on what material they are made from. Not quite fiberglass, not quite plastic - almost like a hardened, dense foam. When I sanded them, the texture reminded me of that aerosol spray yellow foam insulator stuff from Home Depot, but much denser.
I figured the body shop will perfect them before primer and paint. I will call the shop tomorrow to find out if they're ready. Will post pics when picked up.

Last edited:

T123456

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Convertible, Kona Blue
That's pretty much what I was thinking! Where's my package....And then it's there! LOL!

Just installed them this evening, very happy with them!
20190604_200641.jpg
@bluestar Just want to know how these are holding up and if you still like them. I'm looking to add to the Kona Blue as well. You did the gloss black, correct?

Sponsored