Sponsored

2018 GT MT82 - Lost 2nd - Need Help

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
On my way home from work, I got locked out of 2nd and now the car won't go into 2nd at all. I have access to all other gears.

Here is my problem, I live in Canada. I was originally going to store my car next weekend but it may snow this weekend so I was going to store it tomorrow. I'm assuming if I take it to Ford it's going to take a while to fix. I also worry once they pull it apart, they won't put it back together until the new part is available so if it's on backorder I would be screwed.

Any advice? I REALLY don't want this car to see snow/salt. Is it ok to store the car as is and take it to Ford once I pull it back out in April/May? Or is storing a car that most likely needs a new tranny bad in some way?
Sponsored

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
I can't imagine parking it is going to make it any worst or do further damage. Why not call Ford and ask them if they are able to keep it in doors? I get lift space is limited and has a dollar number associated it time on the lift but perhaps they have some place in doors to keep it until the parts arrive.

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Have Ford come and get it on a flat bed- that way it won't be driven on salty roads. I would want it fixed and now. Especially if they need to tear down the tranny or get a new one, it could take awhile. Then when it's done ask that they deliver it back of a flat bed.

Sorry to hear you lost second gear on a brand new car- how many miles on the car- normal driving, spirited driving, track use? I hear things like this on M/T in almost all forums. I have had many M/T cars brand new and I must be lucky- never seem to have any problem. Hope my good luck continues.....

Good luck- but get it fixed ASAP.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Your car will survive being in the snow. Ford roadside can have the pleasure of towing it to the dealer.

OP
OP

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
I can't imagine parking it is going to make it any worst or do further damage. Why not call Ford and ask them if they are able to keep it in doors? I get lift space is limited and has a dollar number associated it time on the lift but perhaps they have some place in doors to keep it until the parts arrive.
They always keep the cars outside while waiting for parts as far as i'm aware.

Have Ford come and get it on a flat bed- that way it won't be driven on salty roads. I would want it fixed and now. Especially if they need to tear down the tranny or get a new one, it could take awhile. Then when it's done ask that they deliver it back of a flat bed.

Sorry to hear you lost second gear on a brand new car- how many miles on the car- normal driving, spirited driving, track use? I hear things like this on M/T in almost all forums. I have had many M/T cars brand new and I must be lucky- never seem to have any problem. Hope my good luck continues.....

Guys I have a hard time believing Ford will just tow my car back to my house once they fix it and it's deemed driveable. It happened during spirited driving.

If I can store it as is without any longterm issues I'm leaning that way.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
On my way home from work, I got locked out of 2nd and now the car won't go into 2nd at all. I have access to all other gears.

Here is my problem, I live in Canada. I was originally going to store my car next weekend but it may snow this weekend so I was going to store it tomorrow. I'm assuming if I take it to Ford it's going to take a while to fix. I also worry once they pull it apart, they won't put it back together until the new part is available so if it's on backorder I would be screwed.

Any advice? I REALLY don't want this car to see snow/salt. Is it ok to store the car as is and take it to Ford once I pull it back out in April/May? Or is storing a car that most likely needs a new tranny bad in some way?
You're so bent on your car NEVER seeing bad weather, that you won't get it fixed?

giphy.gif

OP
OP

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
You're so bent on your car NEVER seeing bad weather, that you won't get it fixed?

giphy.gif
Man I'm sure to others it sounds stupid. But this is my 2nd Mustang. My 05 got destroyed by Winter. My 18 is my summer car. If I can store it without any harm, to me I would rather do that then have Ford fix it and have to drive it on salted roads. What would be the benefit of that just to store the car again for months?

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Man I'm sure to others it sounds stupid. But this is my 2nd Mustang. My 05 got destroyed by Winter. My 18 is my summer car. If I can store it without any harm, to me I would rather do that then have Ford fix it and have to drive it on salted roads. What would be the benefit of that just to store the car again for months?
You're letting your emotions run you. I DD'd my 2005, it didn't hurt anything, so I'd love to know what your definition of "destroyed" is. Your 2018 is not going to be destroyed by being exposed to salt once. Hell, hose off the car when you get home.

The benefit is that the car will be ready when the weather is, rather than waiting for months once the weather breaks.

And I'd bet your dealership will let you leave it at their place until there's a day with no salt on the roads.

If your '05 Mustang made it 13 years DDing in Canada, I'd say that's a damn good reason to not fret over driving your '18 once in the winter.

I'll think about you when I'm DDing my car this winter. Like I did with my 2012 Mustang, and like I did with my 2005 Mustang.

scottycameron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP1 Orange Fury
You're letting your emotions run you. I DD'd my 2005, it didn't hurt anything, so I'd love to know what your definition of "destroyed" is. Your 2018 is not going to be destroyed by being exposed to salt once. Hell, hose off the car when you get home.

The benefit is that the car will be ready when the weather is, rather than waiting for months once the weather breaks.

And I'd bet your dealership will let you leave it at their place until there's a day with no salt on the roads.

If your '05 Mustang made it 13 years DDing in Canada, I'd say that's a damn good reason to not fret over driving your '18 once in the winter.

I'll think about you when I'm DDing my car this winter. Like I did with my 2012 Mustang, and like I did with my 2005 Mustang.

I agree, this is actually perfect timing. Luckily it didn't break during driving season.

I would be ecstatic if mine broke right now as I'm getting ready to store it for winter.

A few exposures to now and salt are not going to destroy your car...

Sponsored

Vegas5OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 PP
get it fixed dude lol, sitting in a little snow isnt going to hurt it at all trust me brand new mustangs sit on the lot in the snow the entire winter just fine. it would hurt me knowing my car was broken all winter.

OP
OP

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
Lol ok ok i'll keep the paranoia in check. I took it in, it's getting fixed and I got a rental for now.

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I can certainly understand your concern over the road salt. Previously living in Massachusetts and Minnesota this is why I moved to Florida- I love cars. The salt destroys them. Maybe not on the outside at first since the steel is protected by the paint and clear coat but the salt stays underneath and rusts everything out from the inside out. The undercarriage of most cars- including axle shafts, drive shafts, etc. the parts are not painted well or at all. Even just one year of salt can generate a lot of rust underneath. When I bought new vehicles up north, I would prime, paint/and or undercoat the components and frame underneath. And I would rinse the salt off at the manual wash stations very often. I would touch up the rusted areas every fall. My undercarriages were rust free and extremely clean. But it was not easy. Paid my dues- now I can drive a RWD sports car year round in Fl. I never owned a RWD car up north that I could not drive year round.

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe

In this case I wouldn't even oppose paying to have it delivered back to the house. Of course you may get lucky, and there won't be any snow when the car is finished. Sorry to hear you're having this problem, Good luck.
Sponsored