Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters

92 Couper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP - Competition Orange

Update: Took the car to the dealer for the tick last Thursday. They had the car for two days and in the end the tick in my case turned out to be coming from the AC compressor. I was able to get under the running car on the lift with the tech and hear it coming from the compressor. Was also able to see that the tick varied between when the AC was on and when it was off (little or no tick when AC was on). Dealer said that the tick from the AC compressor was normal. We shall see with time. I am just glad that it is not the engine in my case.
Sponsored

Toro73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Gt auto 400A Package factory 20's
Well let me add mine to the count. Same thing as other people and it did become louder after the oil change as well. Build date was April so the last badge of 2018"s I guess. Did try the thicker oil (5w-30) and no go on that either. I live in Puerto Rico so it is always hot so no fear about freezing conditions :) .

Kind of bummed out about all this, of all 7 mustangs I owned this was by far the one that I liked the most . O well lets see what ford says or come's up with. if it turns out to be normal that would suck also, as it sounds horrible on start. :(

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Well let me add mine to the count. Same thing as other people and it did become louder after the oil change as well. Build date was April so the last badge of 2018"s I guess. Did try the thicker oil (5w-30) and no go on that either. I live in Puerto Rico so it is always hot so no fear about freezing conditions :) .

Kind of bummed out about all this, of all 7 mustangs I owned this was by far the one that I liked the most . O well lets see what ford says or come's up with. if it turns out to be normal that would suck also, as it sounds horrible on start. :(
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully they will take care of you properly.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Inspected my engine today. This is Cylinder 7. Checked cylinder 8 as well and similar story. Didn't check other cylinders. 7.5k miles with 5w30.
IMG_20180902_160421.jpg

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem w/ Corsa Act Ex
Inspected my engine today. This is Cylinder 7. Checked cylinder 8 as well and similar story. Didn't check other cylinders. 7.5k miles with 5w30.
IMG_20180902_160421.jpg
You were one of the ones that said it was nothing and just the DI right?

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
IMG_20180902_160421.jpg
Can you tell if that's on the trust side of the cylinder? Need to look at all cylinders to see if they are all that way or not.

If the marks go all the way to top of where the rings can travel, then it could be an out of round cylinder. If the marks stop short of where the rings can travel at the top, then it could somewhat normal due to pistons typically being slightly egg shaped with the tightest clearance (and wear) on the trust faces of the pistons & cylinders.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Can you tell if that's on the trust side of the cylinder? Need to look at all cylinders to see if they are all that way or not.

If the marks go all the way to top dead center, then could be out of round cylinder. If the marks stop before TDC, then could somewhat normal due to pistons typically being slightly egg shaped with the tightest clearance on the trust faces of the pistons.
Marks go up to TDC and as far as I could tell, they are not on the thrust side of the piston.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
You were one of the ones that said it was nothing and just the DI right?
No. My opinion was that demanding an engine replacement based on self assessment was not the best course of action. Similarly it's my opinion that replacing the engine without determining root cause is a futile effort as the replacement engine was likely manufactured to the same spec.

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem w/ Corsa Act Ex
Ford wants the motors back to research them They found the issue They just won't say it.

No. My opinion was that demanding an engine replacement based on self assessment was not the best course of action. Similarly it's my opinion that replacing the engine without determining root cause is a futile effort as the replacement engine was likely manufactured to the same spec.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Ford wants the motors back to research them They found the issue They just won't say it.
That is true that they wanted a few engines for analysis but I don't think it's true that they are withholding information. They need time to determine a root cause and then to determine a proper fix before they release their findings.

And this is what I have an issue with... People assuming they are going to be screwed so they act irrationally demanding repairs that might not be correct and then spread misinformation/scare other owners....

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
So here is my theory based on what I have seen and experienced...

I think it's a cooling issue that's been around in all mod motors combined with the spray bore liners and hypereutectic piston combo. I'm thinking cylinders 7-8 (back cylinders) are getting to hot due to the dead spots in coolant flow in a Ford mod motor. Since our engines do not have liners, I'm thinking the heat is causing the bores to deform and causing excessive wear in those cylinders due to the tighter clearances run with hypereutectic piston. Once the damage is done it doesn't matter if it's warm or cold for the rattle to occur.

What might fix the issue is having a fresh engine and doing the coolant crossover mod to prevent cylinder distortion. This is all just my theory based on observation...

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
@zackmd1 - you're talking about the 2200 "rattle" on the 2018+ Coyote. That noise seems to be different than the BBQ Tick (random ticking at idle and low RPM) which has been around since the 1st Gen Coyote. From what I've read here, it seems the 2018+ can exhibit both noises.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
@zackmd1 - you're talking about the 2200 "rattle" on the 2018+ Coyote. That noise seems to be different than the BBQ Tick (random ticking at idle and low RPM) which has been around since the 1st Gen Coyote. From what I've read here, it seems the 2018+ can exhibit both noises.
Yes I am disregarding the BBQ tick since as you stated, it has been around for awhile with no apparent side effects. My theory is solely about the cylinder scoring and rattle.

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Yup. They definitely know what the root cause is. Ford has the best engineers on the planet. A tsb will be very expensive. My guess is they will just continue to replace short blocks to quiet upset customers.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Yup. They definitely know what the root cause is. Ford has the best engineers on the planet. A tsb will be very expensive. My guess is they will just continue to replace short blocks to quiet upset customers.
Given the likelihood of having the same issue with the new shortblock, I have decided to wait on going to my dealership. Not worth my time to remove mods and get things back to stock just to have to do this all over again in a few thousand miles.
Sponsored