Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters

udcvsean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Given the likelihood of having the same issue with the new shortblock, I have decided to wait on going to my dealership. Not worth my time to remove mods and get things back to stock just to have to do this all over again in a few thousand miles.
Did you get the tick documented at your dealership though? I’ve been sitting on some mods (mishimoto induction tube, dry air filter, velossa big mouth) until I get the tick diagnosed by a dealer. Have to wait until 9/27 unfortunately. I am hoping they find nothing wrong (no metal shavings in oil or oil filter, no scoring) so I can just continue enjoying the car. Might just use the Liqui Moly Ceratec.

I won’t push to get a short block but if the dealer determines that’s the best course of action, I’ll try to push for a long block...
Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Did you get the tick documented at your dealership though? I’ve been sitting on some mods (mishimoto induction tube, dry air filter, velossa big mouth) until I get the tick diagnosed by a dealer. Have to wait until 9/27 unfortunately. I am hoping they find nothing wrong (no metal shavings in oil or oil filter, no scoring) so I can just continue enjoying the car. Might just use the Liqui Moly Ceratec.

I won’t push to get a short block but if the dealer determines that’s the best course of action, I’ll try to push for a long block...
Nope. I wanted to go in once there was a TSB, just so they wouldn't blame it all on modding. I know that either way, the intake and tune will have to go back to stock if I want warranty work completed.

udcvsean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Nope. I wanted to go in once there was a TSB, just so they wouldn't blame it all on modding. I know that either way, the intake and tune will have to go back to stock if I want warranty work completed.
Sorry if this is a dumb question but what if they don’t release the TSB until after your warranty expires? Or does a TSB mean all vehicles get serviced even if they aren’t under warranty anymore?

Also what if they never release a TSB... because I’d much prefer NOT taking my car in until there is an official fix from Ford, but don’t want to get burned for waiting on them.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Sorry if this is a dumb question but what if they don’t release the TSB until after your warranty expires? Or does a TSB mean all vehicles get serviced even if they aren’t under warranty anymore?

Also what if they never release a TSB... because I’d much prefer NOT taking my car in until there is an official fix from Ford, but don’t want to get burned for waiting on them.
If a TSB doesn't get released, or if the TSB says rattles are all normal, there isn't much I can do. Basically run it till it blows or trade it in before warranty is up. Ford certainly isn't going to keep replacing engines if they don't think there is an issue.

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Given the likelihood of having the same issue with the new shortblock, I have decided to wait on going to my dealership. Not worth my time to remove mods and get things back to stock just to have to do this all over again in a few thousand miles.
Cool. Without a tsb it is a gamble to see if the dealer can replicate it and decide if it is normal or not. In my case I was planning to install a Procharger so I couldn't take the chance of something worse happening afterwards, plus the rattle was just obnoxious cold and warm. Cold rattle only would have been ok.

The other kicker was Ford`s customer service at the dealer and Customer Care. Absolutely horrible in my book so it pushed me over the edge.

Sponsored

Bird6614

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT

Bird6614

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have a 18 with the tick, knock... only 900 miles on it. Do any of you know if having exhaust will give me trouble at the dealership? Should I put the stock back on?

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I have a 18 with the tick, knock... only 900 miles on it. Do any of you know if having exhaust will give me trouble at the dealership? Should I put the stock back on?
Exhaust shouldn't matter. However, it could cover up the noise. Mine is quite loud though.

Paddy_0511

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EU GT 5.0
i'm from Germany and i had the rattle to. Normal BBQ tick and rattle between 1500-2000 rpm.
My shop called me today, the will replace the engine. Yeah, only 2700km with my GT Facelift.
Engine is out of stock:(

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
i'm from Germany and i had the rattle to. Normal BBQ tick and rattle between 1500-2000 rpm.
My shop called me today, the will replace the engine. Yeah, only 2700km with my GT Facelift.
Engine is out of stock:(
Did they actually do any trouble shooting?

Sponsored

HermanGerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Olaf
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018 AT
Vehicle Showcase
They boroscope the cylinder walls and found scratches on it. Hope Ford will replace a long block...
das ist ja echt scheiße, ich hatte den bbq tick auch und habe ceratec reingemacht. das hat erst mal gewirkt. sollte es nach dem nächsten ölwechsel wiederkommen, dann muss der händler wohl auch bei mir rann. ich scheue mich nur davor den wagen auseinandernehmen zu lassen. hast du ein video über deine geräusche gemacht? würde gern mal hören. gruß aus berlin

next time i will write in english. just did it in german because i need to get some sleep. cheers

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
das ist ja echt scheiße, ich hatte den bbq tick auch und habe ceratec reingemacht. das hat erst mal gewirkt. sollte es nach dem nächsten ölwechsel wiederkommen, dann muss der händler wohl auch bei mir rann. ich scheue mich nur davor den wagen auseinandernehmen zu lassen. hast du ein video über deine geräusche gemacht? würde gern mal hören. gruß aus berlin

next time i will write in english. just did it in german because i need to get some sleep. cheers

that's really shit, I had the bbq tick synonymous and have made ceratec. that worked for the first time. should it come back after the next oil change, then the dealer must probably also ran with me. I'm just shy of having to take the car apart. did you make a video about your noises? would like to hear. Greetings from Berlin
Did you make a video on yours? Danke!

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem w/ Corsa Act Ex
Buyback almost done. My car has been released to the dealer and they are paying it off. For those of you wondering.... It took almost 2 months to do something that could have been done in a week.
Sponsored