Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
Just got back from picking up my car, went on a ride with the QC manager, once i pointed out exactly what the noise is he heard it and seemed more confused. He said he thought it sounded more like a transmission rattle or even the flaps in the intake. he gave a name i forgot what they are called. BUT he did notate on my account that he did hear an "abnormal" noise. Like i told him and stated before i just want it notated incase something happens after the xpipe or LTH and get told well the exhaust caused it. He looked over at me and said Thomas you know better then that lol. Gaudin ford is shit for buying a car, but great for service, and Mustang Manny works there or deals with them. He did state he doesnt think its a piston slap sound to him, sounds nothing like his GT350. ive never been in one so cant say. Ill post when i hear from my friend with the ford tech
Sponsored

BrianH87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT ; 2021 Explorer ST
Just got back from picking up my car, went on a ride with the QC manager, once i pointed out exactly what the noise is he heard it and seemed more confused. He said he thought it sounded more like a transmission rattle or even the flaps in the intake. he gave a name i forgot what they are called. BUT he did notate on my account that he did hear an "abnormal" noise. Like i told him and stated before i just want it notated incase something happens after the xpipe or LTH and get told well the exhaust caused it. He looked over at me and said Thomas you know better then that lol. Gaudin ford is shit for buying a car, but great for service, and Mustang Manny works there or deals with them. He did state he doesnt think its a piston slap sound to him, sounds nothing like his GT350. ive never been in one so cant say. Ill post when i hear from my friend with the ford tech
Thanks for the update! I have heard there were some issues with those flaps in the intake runners. In some of our cases, that could be the cause. True piston slap should be heard anywhere in the rev range when cold. Not the small window that we hear it in. So I agree with the ford guy.

BladeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 HBM 1SS TR6060 NPP
My question is then: why wasnt this sound present from the very beginning? Also, mine most definitely got worse in time as i racked up miles. Progressive wear+abnormal sounds=not good......imo.

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
The challenge is there are sounds that are very similar. The piston slap rattle happens under light load and low rpm. At higher rpms the overall engine noise drowns out the rattle. My engine was fine when idling. No BBQ tick or intermittent knocking when idling. Sad thing is the transmission was perfect. I still think it is either a casting issue with the block or piston, or bad wrist pin. But this is just for the light load/low rpm engine rattle, not the bbq tick or other odd knocking noises.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
So as soon as I got home I changed my oil and threw my Xpipe on lol, couldn’t wait. Sucks I don’t have time for the headers until next weekend. This weekend goes to the fiancé. Car sounds amazing with the active exhaust and Xpipe. Still super quiet in quiet mode for road trips

Anyway my boy said that the rep said it would be hard to say if the noises heard in the F150 are the same or even comparable to the mustang, different crank, cams, etc. but that it’s not uncommon for F150’s to have a noise, not all of them do. The Mustangs he has heard and that he has scoped didn’t have any indication of abnormal wear. And some have been much louder then others. I didn’t get to float the intake flappers idea with him of course but my boy doesn’t have a clue. The rep did say he thinks the issues are blown out of proportion right now on the forums, if anyone was around during the 1st gen they saw and heard issues, 2nd release was the same. He said they have engine failures on a normal bases for all cars, but anytime a new model is released if anything is brought to light on forums or SM, everything thinks they have the same problem. He did say some are legitimate issues, but not all of them.

Sponsored

Shoshin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
I have it also a10 - the low rpm rattle
Not in neutral
2200 2500 rpm
Lessens when warm but still noticeable

Much more noticeable in sport+ vs normal mode

Changed my oil at Ford at 1200 miles. Drove about 100 miles and found oil wasn’t registering on the stick.
They had only put 8 quarts in it.
Lesson learned - will always check now.
Not really sure what to do at this point.
Maybe wait and see if more information comes out.

Have an imbalance at 65-70 tires or possibly drive shaft.

Otherwise car is quite fun.
Planned to make it a project car but now it’s not a good idea to change anything.
Rather bummed about it.

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem w/ Corsa Act Ex
Another day of waking up to no mustang while still making a payment on it :)

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Not really sure what to do at this point.
Maybe wait and see if more information comes out.

Have an imbalance at 65-70 tires or possibly drive shaft.

Otherwise car is quite fun.
Planned to make it a project car but now it’s not a good idea to change anything.
Rather bummed about it.
If the rattle bothers you then consider taking it in to the dealer so you have it documented.

If they say it's normal then force them to document why they think it is normal so you have it in the service record and be sure you get a print out.

Many people don't think it's a problem but that much mechanical noise in a high compression engine is not a good sign. Easy to say let your warranty take care of it but dealing with Ford on service is a nightmare. If there is a real problem you are looking at at least a month, most likely two months, to get it fixed.

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Thanks for the update! I have heard there were some issues with those flaps in the intake runners. In some of our cases, that could be the cause. True piston slap should be heard anywhere in the rev range when cold. Not the small window that we hear it in. So I agree with the ford guy.
I still say piston slap should be seen by the knock sensors. I swear I can hear when the intake runners start to open on my car with the JLT. It almost sounds like turbo spool up, and interestingly enough, only happens with specific throttle input around 1800-3000rpm.

Sponsored

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem w/ Corsa Act Ex
And insurance. Did they give you ETA?
Oh thanks for reminding me... lol :cheers:

I think I am at the point where I have to pursue them. :shrug: Maybe call up the BBB or go to Trump. MFGA!!!! (Make Ford Great Again)

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
So as soon as I got home I changed my oil and threw my Xpipe on lol, couldn’t wait. Sucks I don’t have time for the headers until next weekend. This weekend goes to the fiancé. Car sounds amazing with the active exhaust and Xpipe. Still super quiet in quiet mode for road trips

Anyway my boy said that the rep said it would be hard to say if the noises heard in the F150 are the same or even comparable to the mustang, different crank, cams, etc. but that it’s not uncommon for F150’s to have a noise, not all of them do. The Mustangs he has heard and that he has scoped didn’t have any indication of abnormal wear. And some have been much louder then others. I didn’t get to float the intake flappers idea with him of course but my boy doesn’t have a clue. The rep did say he thinks the issues are blown out of proportion right now on the forums, if anyone was around during the 1st gen they saw and heard issues, 2nd release was the same. He said they have engine failures on a normal bases for all cars, but anytime a new model is released if anything is brought to light on forums or SM, everything thinks they have the same problem. He did say some are legitimate issues, but not all of them.
I understand his point, but from our side, we don't know the root cause. If I knew what caused the noise, I would be able to assess whether it actually mattered. For example, if it is an intake runner flap rattling (and it wasn't going to come loose), I wouldn't think anything of it. If it is something loose in the valvetrain or a wrist pin issue, I would be hesitant to modify the engine at all.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I understand his point, but from our side, we don't know the root cause. If I knew what caused the noise, I would be able to assess whether it actually mattered. For example, if it is an intake runner flap rattling (and it wasn't going to come loose), I wouldn't think anything of it. If it is something loose in the valvetrain or a wrist pin issue, I would be hesitant to modify the engine at all.
This. Plus, at the end of the day, when you spend a lot of money on a car that is known for performance, INCLUDING an awesome sound, you don’t want a bunch of other irritating noises present. Even if there is no evidence that the cause of the noise may not physical harm the engine. You don’t pay that kind of $$ to explain to your passengers that “that sound is normal”

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
This. Plus, at the end of the day, when you spend a lot of money on a car that is known for performance, INCLUDING an awesome sound, you don’t want a bunch of other irritating noises present. Even if there is no evidence that the cause of the noise may not physical harm the engine. You don’t pay that kind of $$ to explain to your passengers that “that sound is normal”
Ford knows sound is important. That's why they spent $$$ on exhaust development and that silly tube from the intake to the cabin.

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Ford knows sound is important. That's why they spent $$$ on exhaust development and that silly tube from the intake to the cabin.
The solution in the TSB for the engine rattle will read as follows:

1. Remove sound tube and plug the firewall.
2. Remove resonator and install Ford racing X-pipe
Sponsored