Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters
OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Well dealership #2 also didn't think there are any issues. They told me to keep tracking the noises and to revisit the subject during the next service appointment. This is turning out to be a lottery for finding a dealer willing to look/tear into the motor based on one or two circumstantial noises without any obvious failures, CELs, etc. I am guessing most of us will keep getting this answer. Hopefully Ford will issue a TSB at some point.
Crap. At least you have it documented that you took it in in case something worse happens. Have you opened a customer claim with Ford? I would consider taking it to a third dealer, even though it may seem like a waste of time. Sorry that this happening to you.
Sponsored

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem w/ Corsa Act Ex
Well dealership #2 also didn't think there are any issues. They told me to keep tracking the noises and to revisit the subject during the next service appointment. This is turning out to be a lottery for finding a dealer willing to look/tear into the motor based on one or two circumstantial noises without any obvious failures, CELs, etc. I am guessing most of us will keep getting this answer. Hopefully Ford will issue a TSB at some point.
I called ford and said i wanted the issue looked at. Its a new car and im unhappy. They got me in quick.

BladeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 HBM 1SS TR6060 NPP
The dealer would say it's normal.
Oh lawd.....lol. :lol::lol: On a serious note...man i hope you guys get this sorted out and Ford finds the source of the problem and takes proper action

Sponsored

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
As of right now the proper action is to trade it in or hope for a lemon law.
[MENTION=11611]Nanashii[/MENTION] call Turd I mean Ford customer service and tell them you want to open a case. I've got a case # for my next appointment on July 25th.
Hold up... The proper action as of now is to put all of our money together to buy ford and MMGA!!! (Make Mustangs Great Again)

But i get what you are saying...

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Yeah, I'll do that if I end up taking it to another dealer. It's a bit of a hassle for me because most Ford dealers don't provide loaners and I'd have to figure out the logistics around borrowing a car again from family members. Not sure if Ford CS can provide a loaner prior to having an actual problem confirmed.

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
Side note, where is the oil temperature gauge on this car? It's not listed on my list of options for gauges. Am I losing my mind?

Edit: I just spent another 5 mins checking, not there. So either only PP cars have it (which would be weird I think) or I just added another issue to my laundry list :(

For fuck sakes I don't have it. Update on my car:

-Rattle
-Tick
-Knock?
-Clutch Grind
-No oil temprature (defective dash?)

I have a dealer appointment tomorrow but I sense this is gonna get ugly.

Last edited:

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
You called customer service and they told you which dealer to go to?
Yup. I told them to send me to a good place and not whatever was close or the original dealer. I would suggest a dealer that does performance work. They seem to be on top of engine work.

Sponsored

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
Yup. I told them to send me to a good place and not whatever was close or the original dealer. I would suggest a dealer that does performance work. They seem to be on top of engine work.
My saleman suggested the same after my crappy experience with the service department. I'm going to an SVT dealer right after my night shift tomorrow morning, I'm so nervoua. I have too many issues now I feel like I'm going to bombard them with this shit.

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
Side note, where is the oil temperature gauge on this car? It's not listed on my list of options for gauges. Am I losing my mind?

Edit: I just spent another 5 mins checking, not there. So either only PP cars have it (which would be weird I think) or I just added another issue to my laundry list :(

For fuck sakes I don't have it. Update on my car:

-Rattle
-Tick
-Knock?
-Clutch Grind
-No oil temprature (defective dash?)

I have a dealer appointment tomorrow but I sense this is gonna get ugly.
My car doesn't have the oil temp gauge either and I thought it was the weirdest thing. Oh and I have a PP...

Is your car an A10? also do you have the 401A package? I think either the autos don't get the oil temp gauge or the 401A cars don't get it because I've definitely seen the gauge on a car with the standard dash, I just don't remember which trans it had.

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
My car doesn't have the oil temp gauge either and I thought it was the weirdest thing. Oh and I have a PP...

Is your car an A10? also do you have the 401A package? I think either the autos don't get the oil temp gauge or the 401A cars don't get it because I've definitely seen the gauge on a car with the standard dash, I just don't remember which trans it had.
Its a 401a, MT-82, non-PP. I spent some time watching YouTube videos and I can say for sure we are supposed to have it. Looks like we'll have another 2018 defect thread to start up. I don't have it in me to do it now :(

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
My 401a car has an oil temp gauge. It's not one I can select as an option when choosing my own layout for some reason, but it IS there. It's just on one of the default sets. I'd rather pair it with something else, but that's life I guess.

Just as another bit of info for this thread, I'm currently poking around in a 2018 F150 Lariat with a 5.0 that I've rented while on travel (nice truck actually). And this thing has the same rattle my 18GT does, only louder and with additional noises.

If your car makes that noise, it's worth getting it looked at, but given how many people are hearing it, and the fact that this truck is doing it (and ford sells waaaay more F150's than mustangs) if this were a real serious engine issue where the motor is getting ready to fail, Ford would have a real nightmare on their hands. I think more likely is what most of us are hearing is just a normal characteristic of the engine.

Obviously that's not the case for everyone, but that's why you should get it checked. I'd also expect the knock sensors on these things to be incrementing the knock count if most of us were listening to anything serious. From what I understand they are fairly sensitive so you'd think something like piston slap or a rod knock would register.

I should have some time here soon to check the bores on my own car, and mount my cheap go-pro in a few spots to attempt to pinpoint where mine is coming from in case it's useful info for folks here. But I'm personally not going to worry about it. My car runs amazingly well, and I'm just going to drive and enjoy it. If the noise gets worse, then that's what my 60k power train is for. I'll just mod the suspension and such in the meantime.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
I have the 401a also and it has the oil temp gauge that’s nonselectable. I don’t have the list just the gauges, for example I have the AFR gauge, but not the option that reads air fuel then what ever it is or cyl head temp is a gauge not a read out that says cyl head temp and then a number.. BUT I was told I can get a firmware update and will have that selection... downside.. you lose the oil temp gauge
Sponsored