Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
Oh and I dropped the car off with ford, he wrote down my concerns and then let me know they haven’t had any broken shift forks there yet, and one other mustang with the “piston slap” tick.. he said the “typewriter” tick on idle is normal with mustangs, but the other noises shouldn’t be. I have heard that F150’s do have a “loud” engine. In the meantime I’m just getting it documented so I can finally add these headers and tune
Sponsored

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
I have the 401a also and it has the oil temp gauge that’s nonselectable. I don’t have the list just the gauges, for example I have the AFR gauge, but not the option that reads air fuel then what ever it is or cyl head temp is a gauge not a read out that says cyl head temp and then a number.. BUT I was told I can get a firmware update and will have that selection... downside.. you lose the oil temp gauge
I thought I saw people that had the default set with oil temp, the set you customize as well as the read out ones that says cylinder head with number. I'll have to check again.

geddy lee

c/o Solar Federation
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Oh and I dropped the car off with ford, he wrote down my concerns and then let me know they haven’t had any broken shift forks there yet, and one other mustang with the “piston slap” tick.. he said the “typewriter” tick on idle is normal with mustangs, but the other noises shouldn’t be. I have heard that F150’s do have a “loud” engine. In the meantime I’m just getting it documented so I can finally add these headers and tune
with other noise you mean the 2200/3000 RPM rattle ?

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
with other noise you mean the 2200/3000 RPM rattle ?
Yes, the “other noises” meaning the rattle “piston slap” sound. The rattle to me sounds like a quite piston slap from the built engines with aluminum pistons ive had. Just more rapid as mine were 4cyl lol, and slightly quieter. One of the guys I’m friends with is going to talk with the engine tech that’s being brought in for a F150 ecoboost that blew its guts out every where but was just “idling” according to the owner. Anyway that guy is a pita it seems so ford sent a rep, he is going to talk to him tomorrow about the F150’s 5.0 and the rattles or any other noises that may be similar as that one poster said, they sell a ton more F150’s then mustangs. If it’s common on those then maybe no worry at all?

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Back to 93 octane today, in preparation for going completely stock. God this is going to suck. Anyone running E85 knows what I am talking about. :(

Sponsored

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
I thought I saw people that had the default set with oil temp, the set you customize as well as the read out ones that says cylinder head with number. I'll have to check again.
Mine doesn't. Mine just has the gauges, with a min/max number at either end of the gauge and some tick marks. It'd be nice if it was accompanied by a digital readout of the actual numeric value, but for my purposes it's fine.

geddy lee

c/o Solar Federation
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Anyway that guy is a pita it seems so ford sent a rep, he is going to talk to him tomorrow about the F150’s 5.0 and the rattles or any other noises that may be similar as that one poster said, they sell a ton more F150’s then mustangs. If it’s common on those then maybe no worry at all?
Sounds interesting - let's see what he is reporting.
So the F150 is more common I guess ?
It is really rare over here to see one..

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
Way more common. There are probably at least 10 in the parking lot outside this hotel room, and not one mustang. Quick google search showed ford sells about 2,400 of them a day. So there are a lot of them around. If there was a serious problem with the coyote's manufacturing process, it'd probably show up there first, at least with respect to the bottom end. I think the heads/cams on the mustangs are different.

I'll do my due diligence on mine, then keep an eye on it with oil reports/etc. I've got lots of warranty left to deal with an issue if there is one, and if there is a real issue...the longer you wait to address it the more likely you are to get a proper repair while Ford figures it out.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Yeah, the F150 is one of Ford's top selling models in the USA.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
My understanding is they sell more F series trucks then all other ford products combined. The rep just got there and my friend said they were going to talk around lunch and let me know then.

Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Anyone know who supplies the dual fuel system in the 2018? Is it still Continental?

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Mustang GT Premium A10 w/ PP1.
Here is an example of the tick I'm getting. Started at about 2100 miles. I got 2500 miles on it now. In the video I rev a few times up to about 2k RPM, you can hear the ticking become irregular and CLICK loudly once I get off the throttle. My car is an A10 with PP1.

I waited about 10-15 second after turning on the car to record the video just FYI. It also doesn't seem to occur after fully being warmed up, for now.

Is this the same issue y'all are experiencing?

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
The SA called and told me they think my car is 100% fine, nothing wrong with it, even a "service manager and QC manager" took it out and could not duplicate the issue. Im due to go down there and take a ride with them to point out exactly what the sound is. The SA did state he knows what im talking about due to this forum. He knows about the rattle issue on the 18's. But the tech and both of those guys said they dont hear or feel anything abnormal with the car. All i wanted was it documented, ill be picking it up and installing my parts now. should find out in a couple hours about what the ford rep says about engine noise on the f150's

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
Here is an example of the tick I'm getting. Started at about 2100 miles. I got 2500 miles on it now. In the video I rev a few times up to about 2k RPM, you can hear the ticking become irregular and CLICK loudly once I get off the throttle. My car is an A10 with PP1.

I waited about 10-15 second after turning on the car to record the video just FYI. It also doesn't seem to occur after fully being warmed up, for now.

Is this the same issue y'all are experiencing?

According to the SA i spoke to when i dropped my car off last night, the "typewriter" tick is common on mustangs. i believe thats what yours has there. some are way more noticeable then yours though.

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Mustang GT Premium A10 w/ PP1.
According to the SA i spoke to when i dropped my car off last night, the "typewriter" tick is common on mustangs. i believe thats what yours has there. some are way more noticeable then yours though.
Thats what I figured. Its not audible at all inside the car either, I was also in my garage too. I'll keep an eye on it and notify the dealer so they know, just in case.
Sponsored