Sponsored

2018 GT engine rattle.

cjldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Dropped off old blue this evening.. Let's hope they come back with good info tomorrow..
Fingers crossed!
Sponsored

cjldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Well, they don't hear the sound.. They took it out first thing this morning and couldn't hear it, let it cool off and is driving it again now.. Sheesh..

boxstang40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 lx hatch
Well i just stumbled on this thread and while i dont have a new 5.0 i did test drive the 18 gtpp manual a few weeks back. The first thing i noticed was this rattling sound(a lot like my dads 02 ss camaro which was piston slap). Not sure what it is on these new mustangs but it wasnt confidence inspiring. Hope you get it figured out.

cjldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I'm going to the service dept. in the morning to drive it so the tech can hear it..
I'm dumbfounded they couldn't hear it on a 33 degree day today...

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
robert
Vehicle(s)
2021 gt mustang shadow black 10 sp
gt valve train rattle

good luck my dealer keeps telling me it is normal did not have it when It was delivered started a few weeks after ownership sound is much worse when warm.

Sponsored

Chris5.0coyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Do you have a video of what yours sounds like ..?
[MENTION=33502]robertsampfive[/MENTION]

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 gt rattle valve train noise

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]-pMws15bLGo[/MEDIA]"][/ame]

cjldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
good luck my dealer keeps telling me it is normal did not have it when It was delivered started a few weeks after ownership sound is much worse when warm.
That fact that yours gets worse when warm would lead me to believe it's a different issue.

cjldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
So went down to the service dept. this morning...
Tech asked that I make the noise while in neutral..
I can, but it's only for a couple mins.. He was all over it while it was making the noise.. Said he thought it was more from the bottom of the engine...

Went for a drive and was able to get it to make the noise while driving in the parking lot. He said he certainly heard it at that point. Was going to put in a request on the "hotline." So left my car with them so they can do whatever test Ford requires.

nelson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ford Fusion Energi
I have a 17 with the same problem..
Since you guys know what you are listening for, you can hear it in this video..
Everyone says it is piston slap, I don't think that's the case.
Takes about 10 miles of driving before it's almost not noticeable any longer.
I'm wondering if it's an oiling issue.. Seems to go away once the oil pressure goes down, thinking it may be thin enough to get somewhere it needs to be going at that point. Anyone have one of those heaters that can stick on to their oil pan and keep the oil warm overnight?

I asked my service guy when I was there getting something done to my truck and he and the tech said the Mustang engines are usually pretty good, it's the F-150's you have to watch out for.. So I have service scheduled next week.

Hi all, I have an 18GT with A/T 10 speed and mine makes this sound. It is exactly like this, some type of chatter coming from the engine area at these RPMs. I see some of you have brought the car into Ford. I've already been at Ford for a different issue they couldn't replicate, so I don't want to go in again for another thing they're not going to be able to hear. Ideas?

Sponsored

Must_Tang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gone-2016 Mustang GT Premium
Slightly off-topic, but did your Ford dealer tell you that they would charge you a diagnostic fee if they could not duplicate a condition that you asked them to address under factory warranty?

I've been to two different Ford dealers in the Northeast that did this; once when I had my 2010 Taurus in for warranty work a while ago, and for the 2016 Mustang I got rid of....

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT a10 engine or trans rattle.

same sound as my car sound was not there when it was new.it is worse when warm. not sure what it is but it is annoying mine makes this sound most of the time. ford thought it was intake manifold and replaced it. after a few days sound was back. dealer now says this is normal.no way is this supposed to sound like this. my dealer is tired me coming back. called ford 800# recommend I go to another dealer. I just need to find a good mechanic to diagnose this. Hope this gets resolved soon hard to enjoy car when you feel like something just is not rite. [ame]

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
Mine makes this sound also. I've been trying to pin point it all week, but I'm not sure where it's coming from. I have a manual, and the pitch of mine changes when I put pressure sideways on the shifter. So while mine sounds exactly like the video posted, I'm not sure mine is the engine. Car just turned over 1k miles.

cjldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Mine makes this sound also. I've been trying to pin point it all week, but I'm not sure where it's coming from. I have a manual, and the pitch of mine changes when I put pressure sideways on the shifter. So while mine sounds exactly like the video posted, I'm not sure mine is the engine. Car just turned over 1k miles.

A very similar sound if I keep pressure on the shifter in to 2nd.. So it's a possibility that is your problem.. But mine is engine related..

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
A very similar sound if I keep pressure on the shifter in to 2nd.. So it's a possibility that is your problem.. But mine is engine related..
I guess it's possible mine is too, but I'll have to get it on a lift to try and locate it to be sure. I can hear a rattle that sounds like the video's posted, but only inside the car really. I've driving along some curbs and such recently, and have not been able to hear the sound outside.

Makes me think that it's either some engine harmonic that is getting transmitted into the cabin via the trans tunnel, or something in the transmission/exhaust.

Have you tried slapping a go-pro or something under the car or the hood to see if you can pinpoint it?
Sponsored